Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Things I like about OS X
    Well to be fair I started another thread called "Things I dislike about OS X" but in reality there are things I really like about it as well. So i figured I would point those out.

1. I really like Expose. I don't know how you mac users got along before without it. It would be like XP missing the taskbar and having to use ALT+TAB for everything. My only complaint would be that you can't drag files from one finder window to another using expose. Like grabbing a file from one finder window, dragging it to the corder of your screen to launch expose and then letting the file go on the window you want to drop it into. That would be really nice. But it's ok.

2. I wasn't really sure about the dock before but I'm really liking it. I enjoy how it serves multiple purposes, you can launch apps with it, you can pull apps to the front with it, you can minimize apps to it, you can drag files and folder to it and you can monitor the status of things for certain apps with it.
    The only think you can't seem to do is drag a file to it and have it spring open the app/folder/finder to them drop the file into. But I've already covered this a thousand times.

3. I like how easy it is to burn DVD's. I always had a pain trying to burn disks with windows and always relied on Nero or iTunes for that. Now I can burn data files in the OS with no problems.

4. I love the webcam integration. On XP (or Vista) webcams aren't really used very much. Certain apps will take advantage of them but for the most part it's assumed they don't exist. There are several apps I've run into already that support the isight cam making it snap (no pun intended) to quickl take a picture or video for whatever use.

5. I like how applications don't close when you X out their window. I admit that at first this annoyed me and sometimes I still find myself thinking I closed an app when I didn't. But now I really like that aspect. Especially if I were to accidentally X out a window when I didn't mean to. it's rare but it happens. I can only imagine the pain and suffering mac users must go through when switching to XP/Vista based on habit of X-ing windows and finding they just closed the app completely.

What else would you like to add?

Quote Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post
    The only think you can't seem to do is drag a file to it and have it spring open the app/folder/finder to them drop the file into. But I've already covered this a thousand times.
    Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I don't seem to have any issue doing this. For example, I can drag a file to the Downloads folder on the dock and it will move it there. I can drag and drop a .doc file to my Word icon on the dock and Word opens with the file I dropped there.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I'll add the entire look of the OS. It's simple, but attractive.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
    I'm a recent switcher and I'd add Spaces as 1 of the best features of Mac OS in combination with Exposť

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
    The whole OS just puts Windows to shame.

Expose
    Dock (Spring loaded to add)
    Finder
    Spotlight
    Disk Utility
    Automatic Unzipping of Files
    Spaces
    The whole iLife suite

Its just amazing, Windows has nothing like this, and its been 10 months since XP was my main OS, I've had this awesome iMac for 6!

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
    Agreed.

It does everything I need it to do.
    NABET - CWA <the union label.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    Agreed.

It does everything I need it to do.
    ...And nothing we don't

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    G4 MDD Dual 1.25 ghz 1g Ram 120g HD 21"Apple Studio Display
    #1 Reason, its not a Microsoft product!

It's been almost one year since I switched. I use MBP at home & XP at work. I just don't find there's much difference. They both do pretty much the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both OS's.

I've never understood why Mac users have to continually reaffirm their fondness for Macs, while Windows users just go about their work. It seems like an insecurity complex.

Swedevb

Quote Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post
    1. I really like Expose. I don't know how you mac users got along before without it. It would be like XP missing the taskbar and having to use ALT+TAB for everything. My only complaint would be that you can't drag files from one finder window to another using expose. Like grabbing a file from one finder window, dragging it to the corder of your screen to launch expose and then letting the file go on the window you want to drop it into. That would be really nice. But it's ok.
    you can do that... keep your mouse hovered over the window you want to drop the file into, and that window will come into focus. Then you can let go of the file and drop it into that window. It takes you out of expose, but it's pretty close to what you want.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by swedevb View Post
    I've never understood why Mac users have to continually reaffirm their fondness for Macs, while Windows users just go about their work. It seems like an insecurity complex.
    For the same reason that any group celebrates their fondness of their object or thing of choice. Not everyone sees a computer as simply a tool, just as many don't just see a car as just simply transportation. Some people enjoy things more than others. You don't have to understand it, but if you plan on spending time here, you might as well get used to it.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
    I would've loved spaces but after having 2 monitors, I don't even use it. I don't see the big deal for closing the window rather than quitting the app. I love expose, Quicksilver (that will beat almost anyway of starting an app no matter what OS) and I also like the mail program.

Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    For the same reason that any group celebrates their fondness of their object or thing of choice. Not everyone sees a computer as simply a tool, just as many don't just see a car as just simply transportation. Some people enjoy things more than others. You don't have to understand it, but if you plan on spending time here, you might as well get used to it.
    Yes. I love the work these people put in theirs: http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

The Visual Portfolio
    I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    G4 MDD Dual 1.25 ghz 1g Ram 120g HD 21"Apple Studio Display
    Quote Originally Posted by swedevb View Post

Swedevb
    Well you can't really say ALL windows users just go about their day not knocking down apple products. Its just brand loyalty and its found in just about any major product out there.

Things I like about OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
    Quote Originally Posted by EGGO View Post
    Yes. I love the work these people put in theirs: http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/
    this is kinda scary actually.

Things I like about OS X

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
    I really love the widgets! Vista's sidebar gadgets suck, I turned them off immediately, but Apple's widgets are wonderful.

I've only had my iMac for a few days so I'm still finding my way around. I have to say that by day 3, I feel pretty darn comfortable, I expected the learning curve to be much worse.
    Have you "Tinkled" today? 24" Aluminum iMac, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD ; 80 GB iPod

Thread Information