Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3 support iPhoto 9.6.1 ?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram

I am running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and I would like to update to Mojave 10.14.3. I am using iPhoto and I prefer it over Photos.

Does Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3 support iPhoto 9.6.1?

Will the upgrade to Mojave install the iPhoto app?

My current computer is: MacBook Pro 13in, 2016, 4 Thunderbolt ports, 3.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3. I have Time Machine backups.

Thank you.
    Larry H
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    My experience with iPhoto 9.6.1 is if it is already installed, it will remain if you upgrade to Mojave. You will also have the Photos app. However, if you upgrade beyond Mojave this year (10.15.X), iPhoto will no longer work. My advice to you is to start using the Photos app which is much better than iPhoto. Your iPhoto library will import to Photos so nothing will be lost.

By the way, iPhoto 9.6.1 is the only version which will work with Mojave. Earlier versions will not.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Larry H

May I just endorse what Admin chscag said in relation to iPhoto/Photos apps. Not only in relation to macOS Mojave, but in transitioning to Photos app.

Many of us on these Forums were concerned about the transition at the time (some years ago, now); but in reality, the Photos app is way superior to iPhoto.

It's editing suite, for example, is now quite extensive and a big change up from iPhoto. It also allows editing apps like Affinity to be added as extensions, so bringing the editing capabilities closer to Photoshop and the like.

And there's an easy way to acclimatise yourself to Photos app without sacrificing iPhoto - as least to begin with.

When you open Photos app, it immediately gives you the option of importing your iPhoto Library into it. When done, the original iPhoto Library is still there.

The usual practice is to confirm all well with the import to Photos app, then delete the iPhoto app and Library in order to save space and move on.

You could, very easily, import iPhoto into Photos app and keep the two Libraries until you learn and come to enjoy the considerable benefits of Photos app. Take your time. Experiment. Look at the numerous video tutorials on YouTube and the Apple site itself.

Then bin iPhoto. It's something you'll have to do eventually, unless you are prepared to stick with macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave forever.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Will the upgrade to Mojave install the iPhoto app?
    No. It installs Photos.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You've been given excellent advice thus far. Pay particular attention to the suggestion to start looking for alternatives since iPhoto will not work in the next major OS upgrade. Apple isn't going to invest time/resources into updating it given that Photos has been out for several years.

If you have the latest version of iPhoto installed, Mojave leaves it untouched. You may find that when you launch iPhoto under Mojave it generates an error telling you the library is in use. That happened to me last night. In my case it seems to be due to one of two things:
    1. I have already moved my library to Photos (most likely).
    2. I'm running the current Mojave beta on this machine.

On the Mac running the current full release version of Mojave with a library that hasn't ben imported intoo Photos things are still working.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you all for the advice.
    I tried the Photos app when it was new, and found it lacking. I will try it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    What features did you find lacking? Perhaps one of our photo gurus knows whether that feature has improved.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Yes indeed. In Photos, some of the Editing Features were move about a bit:

When you open the Photos app, click on an image to Edit, then hit Return key. The editing arrangement is seen here:

S1.png. S2.png.

S3.png

I can explain and take you through all these editing functions when you get Photos. They are quite extensive. I've only shown some of them!

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    It has been a long time since I tried Photos and I cannot remember exactly what I did not like.
    I do recall that Photos was not as good as iPhoto for doing what i wanted at the time. Or, perhaps, I did not understand it well enough.
    I will try it again to see. If iPhoto will not work beyond Mojave, then I will need to learn it.
    I seem to skip every other OS as I just do not want to keep having to learn the changes. Just when I am used to the 'new' OS, another one comes along.
    Some changes Apple makes seem to be just to have something different, not to improve junction. iTunes has gone downhill with every version as far as flexibility to manage and customize the music functions. I use iTunes to import, manage, and play music. The current edition is like a bare bones version of the previous ones.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD OSx 10.13
    I upgraded to Photos I think it was in El Capitan. To my sorrow it didn't do slide shows and I had a number of ones that I had put a lot of time into. Thankfully I was able to download the latest iPhoto and it is still working on High Sierra. I haven't tried Photos since it was first out. Can anyone tell me if Photos now does slide shows and can ones from iPhotos be imported?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Photos can create slideshows. I don't know if it can import iPhoto slideshows.

EDIT: Here is how to make slideshows. https://support.apple.com/guide/phot...htae8c6d40/mac
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD OSx 10.13
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

@Larry
    It has been a long time since I tried Photos and I cannot remember exactly what I did not like

Completely OT, but your avatar looked familiar and it says your location is the Pacific Northwest and I was just wondering if your nice Trawler name is "Jacari Maru" and I believe your wife's name is Nancy.

Yes, we used to do a lot of boating in the San Juans and the Gulf Islands and beyond areas and I just did some sleuthing and was curious and just wondering.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey Patrick. What a good idea. Joining up with long lost friends. We could become the next Facebotch.

Edit: sorry meant Facebook

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @Larry

Completely OT, but your avatar looked familiar and it says your location is the Pacific Northwest and I was just wondering if your nice Trawler name is "Jacari Maru" and I believe your wife's name is Nancy.

Yes, we used to do a lot of boating in the San Juans and the Gulf Islands and beyond areas and I just did some sleuthing and was curious and just wondering.

- Patrick
    ======
    Patrick, Yes we are located in the PNW and we do boat every summer. You recognize my boat, but I do not remember if we have met.
    We have taken the 'Jacari Maru' into BC waters since '07. What boat did you have?

Thread Information