Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just upgraded computers - lost downloads folder

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Hi,
    Recently, I just got a iMac from a friend (not new but better than what I had) and I'm running macOS Sierra (10.12.6). My old machine was a MacBook.

I'm having trouble locating where downloads end up in my computer. On my old machine, if I downloaded an app or program to use from the internet, the .dmg file would appear on my desktop and I could start the installation process. Now, with the iMac, the downloaded files go somewhere in the computer (no idea where) and I have to use something like Spotlight to find them and drag them to the desktop so I can start installation. I still don't know where they are downloaded to but I'd like to change that and put them where I can find and use them.

Also, on my old MacBook I had a downloads folder in the dock, next to the Trash, separated from the other dock items by a line. On this (new-to-me) iMac, the downloads folder does not appear in the dock. I kinda liked the way it was before on my MacBook and is it possible to set up this iMac the same way? I hunted around in Preferences for both Apple and Safari and couldn't find out how to do these things I'd like to get done.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Okay go to 'Go' in the menu bar and look for 'Downloads' there. Also Documents etc kept filed under there.

Some folks drag the Downloads folder to the Dock where it makes an alias, or 'short cut', to the Application.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

What Harry said - or open Finder, click on your home folder, find the Downloads folder there, and drag it to the dock (you can also drag it to your "Favorites" in the sidebar).

-Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Also, if you open Finder > Preferences > Sidebar, one of the options on the list is "Downloads". Check that box, and the Downloads Folder will appear every time you open Finder, in its Sidebar.

You can then, as Harry advised, click/drag the Downloads Folder to the Dock wherein it will create an alias (shortcut); thus allowing you to view the Downloads Folder in at least two ways - via Finder and the Dock.

Ian
    Ian

I'm having trouble locating where downloads end up in my computer.

I didn't notice it mentioned, but if it is the "Downloads" folder you use with your browser, if you look in the browser preferences, it should give you an option as to which folder you want to use.

No doubt it is currently set to Downloadsfolder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder.

Then they are readily available and you can then deal with them as you wish. Delete after use or move to some appropriate folder, like "Installer Stuff" or whatever might be appropriate.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    If DMG files were opening on their own after download you probably had "Open Safe files after Download" checked in Safari. That is something that is NOT recommended at all as some unsafe files might also open and run and mess up your Mac. In older versions of Safari that was checked by default but I do not think the newer versions have it checked. Never check that option.

Do what others have said above.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I was able to go to the Finder preferences and to the sidebar. The downloads is already checked. As this is a new computer to me and has alot of new stuff that my old MacBook didn't have, where is the sidebar located? and what is it? Sorry I'm so clueless about this iMac. I actually ordered a book this week, about Sierra, to help me out. When I ask about the sidebar in the help pull down menu, it sends me to mission control, which, of course, I also have no clue about. It's kinda like saying the sidebar is the same thing as the square root of 24,698.

Thanks for your help,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, here is Finder:

2019-02-08 04.56.57 pm.png

The sidebar is on the left, the column that has the names of various locations. To view that in Finder, you open Finder, click on Finder on the top or the screen, then Preferences, then Sidebar, and click on the boxes for what you want to show in the Sidebar.

EDIT: One of the options is to show Downloads in the Sidebar, by the way.

EDIT 2: And to see in the right side something from the sidebar, just click on the item in the sidebar and the right will change. So, to see what's IN downloads, click on Downloads and the right side window will show that folder. You can see that I have clicked on Utilities and that is what is showing in the right side. You can actually drag and drop any folder from the right side to the Sidebar and it will be there for you.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Bob.

As you already have Downloads checked in Finder Preferences, Open Finder and from the top menu bar, click on View and "Show Sidebar". In the screen shot below, the arrow points to the item (in my case, as Sidebar is already shown, it says "Hide" instead of "Show")

S1.jpg

Once you've done that, when you Open Finder, the Sidebar will be on the left as in this screenshot:

S2.jpg

That should do it

Ian

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Jake; so are so much faster at typing and cropping images - good on you

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

Ah, Jake; so are so much faster at typing and cropping images - good on you

Ian
    Yeah, but you had to add arrows and pixelization
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, that's me...no editing pictures, just type faster. It is a race, after all...
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

I was able to create an alias in the dock for my downloads folder (very helpful) and the other problem I was having, about viewing the sidebar was solved when I clicked 'show favorites' instead of 'hide favorites'. Then all these new possibilities appeared! Solved!

The .dmg files are not automatically starting upon download. I still have to to click and drag the icon to my applications folder to start installation, as I prefer it to be.

The only thing I'm not clear about is what PM-R said, "[I]No doubt it is currently set to Downloads folder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder."[I]

I would prefer, when downloading app from the internet, if the installation files appeared on my desktop rather than having to search thru my computer to wherever they have been downloaded to. This I have not solved yet.

Thanks for your comments,

Bob M.

P.S. Sorry, not very good at setting some text to italics, either.

Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, the downloads should ALWAYS go to your Download folder. The only ones that don't are installers from the Mac App Store, and they go to the Launchpad and install automatically. To change that behavior, you can go to Safari/Preferences/General and change the "File download location" to whatever you want. If you want them on the Desktop, then select "Other" and pick the Desktop. But let me encourage you to leave the downloads in the Downloads folder where it is. You do not want to clutter up your desktop with too many downloaded files. That will slow down the boot process.

Also, .dmg files don't "start," they mount. And if you have the settings for Finder to display all drives in the sidebar, or on the Desktop, the mounted dmg will show there. Normally you do NOT want to drag the dmg to the Applications folder. No need to clutter that up with dmg files. You just want to get the application out of the dmg to the Applications folder, then get rid of the dmg altogether. To mount a dmg, just click on it (it may require a double click, I frankly don't remember).
    Jake

The only thing I'm not clear about is what PM-R said, "[I]No doubt it is currently set to Downloads folder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder."[I]

I would prefer, when downloading app from the internet, if the installation files appeared on my desktop rather than having to search thru my computer to wherever they have been downloaded to. This I have not solved yet.

If you are using Safari, Open it's preferences and choose your Desktop as shown below. You may have to click "Other" in order to find and select it.
    When selected, Desktop should be showing as your selected choice for any Safari downloads.

Other browsers will have similar options.

I hope this helps.

1 Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.06.29 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======

But let me encourage you to leave the downloads in the Downloads folder where it is. You do not want to clutter up your desktop with too many downloaded files. That will slow down the boot process.

I do not fully agree with this, especially as so much stuff seems to get saved to the Downloads folder which has a tendency of disappearing for many users.

Just save the file download to the desktop where it's easily accessed, then use it as necessary but file it somewhere appropriate. ie: Installer Stuff folder or somewhere in one's Documents folders. Create a new folder if necessary.

No need to leave stuff cluttering the Desktop, it shoud just act as a tempary landing place. Think aircraft carrier's landing deck!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information