Thread: Documents setup

Documents setup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Documents setup

Good evening to all just joined this forum.
    I have a MacBook Air 2017 only had it few moths ago.
    Problem I got is the documents setup. I have iCloud setup okay then I got documents under the folder that you can enter your name in also when I go to the top menu and select the GO tab it shows up another documents folder.
    the documents under my name has 27 items that is saved on to the hdd.Then on the iCloud Drive shows 44 items. Then when I go to the top menu bar and select the go tab there is another document folder there with 31 items.
    I'm confused about the documents under the GO tab, How do I have three documents folders I thought one for iCloud and one for the documents with my name.Where does this this one come into.
    Any help please not very technical I'm a very late starter.
    Thank You.
    Tom

Documents setup
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Tom

I'm sorry it's taken four days for any reply, but this may be because others, like myself, have found your question difficult to comprehend. This is not your fault at all. It can sometimes be difficult to put into words what you want solved.

So, let me start with a few points.

When you are in Finder (the blue/white smiling face far left in the Dock), you can arrange what it shows and how, when you open Finder.

I think it's probably true that many people want it to Open in Documents. This is the same Documents Folder that you see if you Click in GO, then choose Documents. They are identical Folders.

iCloud Drive is completely different. You choose what you wish to put in there.

So let's start at the beginning: From a blank Desktop, Click On Finder in the Dock. Then Click on the word "Finder" in the top menu bar next to the Apple icon . From the Drop Down menu, choose Preferences.

You are now in Finder > Preferences. This is what you will see:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.11.33 pm?.png

You will notice that I have selected General. Underneath, you can check the items, if any, that you want to see on your Desktop. Under that you will see: "New Finder Windows show" - this is where you decide what opens up when you click on Finder. I have chosen Documents because, for me, that's the area I most often want to view first.

Then if you stay in Preferences but Click on Sidebar, this is what you get:

S2.jpg

Here is where you choose what you want to see in the Sidebar when you open a new Window in Finder. Note my choices. You will choose your own. I've included iCloud Drive for example. Read carefully what all the options are.

Lastly, in Preferences, Click on Advanced. Make your choices. NB at the bottom you decide where you want Searches to be carried out. You choose.

S3.png

Having got Finder sorted out - and let's say you elected Finder to open with Documents, as I did, then that's where you put any and all your documents. You can Create Folders for specific Documents. Folders might include, Family, Business, Interesting Items, News - absolutely anything you want.

NB As I said at the start, this "Documents" is identical to Clicking GO and choosing "Documents"; or should be unless you've been messing about.

iCloud Drive - Read this article before you do any more re iCloud Drive. It's from Apple and needs a thorough read. It explains it all: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204025

NB iCloud Drive and "Documents" in Finder are different things, although you will see that you can put Documents into iCloud Drive.

Please post back once you've got through all this and I'll try to help with specific questions.

Ian
    Ian

Documents setup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Ian
    Many thanks for your reply it is very nice to have some help, before I had this Mac I was using windows 10.
    Okay here is what I got your info was great regarding the documents folder under the go tab the contents are not the same as the other documents folder the one with a icon of a house. I think I have gone wrong there somewhere when I try to move a folder from the documents under go to the other documents it tells me this its in the cloud.
    Maybe I should start from the beginning or leave well alone at least I know where things are.
    what would be the way around it.
    Thanks
    David.

In one of the recent releases of macOS, users were given the opportunity to store their Desktop & Documents folders on iCloud so that it would automatically sync across multiple machines. The implications of choosing that option wasn't fully made clear and a lot of people chose that option and then decided that they didn't need that sync'ing and tried to revert back to local Desktop & Documents and when they did, they lost their files up on iCloud. To that end, people began chose to start with keeping Desktop & Documents locally and use a separate folder to sync across multiple machines if they needed that.

The reason I mention that is you started with your Documents up on iCloud, as you transition back to local, you risk losing your data, so backup everything first and then make any change you want to make.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Documents setup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    And to add to what Ashwin said, for the documents on the Cloud drive, you would need to copy them from that cloud location to somewhere on your local hard drive, usually into the Documents folder where the little house icon is. Do that before you do anything with the cloud drive or cloud storage.
    Jake

Documents setup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Many thanks will get back to you.
    David

Documents setup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Hi. Regarding backing up iCloud can I backup all the contents of the iCloud to an external drive if yes would I be able to select certain items from that backup to replace int the iCloud
    David.

Thread Information