Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Free software to recover files deleted from trash
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini

Sly, that's a good assessment, and if it's just a few files deleted from trash, it might be recoverable. But every time it boots the chances go down. But a wiped drive is, for the average user, gone. I haven't used any of the recovery service companies, so I don't know if they just hand you a bunch of "filexxxxx.txt" files like the tools give, or if they can recover some portion of the filenames and structure. At their prices, you'd expect something more than just generic names and no structure.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Sly, that's a good assessment, and if it's just a few files deleted from trash, it might be recoverable. But every time it boots the chances go down. But a wiped drive is, for the average user, gone.
    It really depends on how the drive is "wiped." If the drive is just reformatted, chances are that all that happened is that the directory was deleted and every block on the drive was made available for writing to. As long as nothing is done with the drive, all of the data is still on it and recoverable.

If a secure erase was done, then your data is gone with the Schwinn, as they say.

I haven't used any of the recovery service companies, so I don't know if they just hand you a bunch of "filexxxxx.txt" files like the tools give, or if they can recover some portion of the filenames and structure. At their prices, you'd expect something more than just generic names and no structure.
    DriveSavers (spits on the floor at the mention of the name), will charge you thousands of dollars and will only give you back files of the type that you agree with them to recover. No applications will be recovered and no restored hierarchy.

$300 Drive Recovery
    http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com
    for only hundreds of dollars, will likely hand you a drive that is a perfect clone of your drive before it died or was wiped, or they will recovery whatever it is that you lost if it hasn't been over-written.

It's interesting to note that Drive Savers' Yelp reviews aren't quite as good as $300 Drive Recovery's. Most folks were very happy with Drive Savers' work, but read all of the one-star reviews:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/drivesavers...ecovery-novato
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/300-data-recovery-los-angeles
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Randy, I agree. If the drive was just erased, the directory information should still be there, just marked as available instead of in use. However, when I say "wiped" I'm thinking more along the lines of repartitioned and reformatted. That kind of action usually destroys the data in the directory area, even if it's not a secure format with overwrites. In my experience, just a repartition and reformat will pretty much send all the data down the river. I suppose one could get lucky, but as I said, the (fortunately) very few times I've done that, it was all gone.
    Jake

Randy, I agree. If the drive was just erased, the directory information should still be there, just marked as available instead of in use. However, when I say "wiped" I'm thinking more along the lines of repartitioned and reformatted. That kind of action usually destroys the data in the directory area, even if it's not a secure format with overwrites. In my experience, just a repartition and reformat will pretty much send all the data down the river. I suppose one could get lucky, but as I said, the (fortunately) very few times I've done that, it was all gone.
    To my knowledge there are no longer any utilities for the Macintosh (including Disk Utility) that normally do a low level format like that unless you set it to do a secure erase. Such a reformat would take a very long time and would be unacceptable to most users.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Randy, Disk Utility will do it, at least in Mojave. When you opt to erase a disk, there is a box labelled "Security Options" where you can opt for how secure the erase should be.
    Jake

Randy, Disk Utility will do it, at least in Mojave. When you opt to erase a disk, there is a box labelled "Security Options" where you can opt for how secure the erase should be.
    He did say "unless you set it to do a secure erase," which is what you are describing. But I disagree with him that such a format would necessarily take "a very long time," as there are several security options (as you imply). The single pass of zeros, for example, doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time in my opinion.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

AFAIK there were always a number of different security options when erasing using Disk Utility.
    I just looked at El Capitan - you get is a slider with "fastest" at one end and "most secure" at the other end with two options in-between, so four options total

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    AFAIK there were always a number of different security options when erasing using Disk Utility.
    I just looked at El Capitan - you get is a slider with "fastest" at one end and "most secure" at the other end with two options in-between, so four options total
    Yes, there have been for as long as I can remember, although I believe there used to be 1 or 2 additional options that are no longer there. The "fastest" is the default setting which offers no security.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, he did say, "unless you set it to do a secure erase," but I just wanted later readers of this thread to be aware that it CAN be done with Disk Utility. And if you select anything other than the default, the "wipe" will make recovery next-to-impossible.
    Jake

Thread Information