Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Say, anyone else wondering what's wrong with Apple and their recent macOS downloads and installs the last few years
    One can actually download the full installers for all OSs from Mountain Lion up to and including Mojave, EXCEPT High Sierra.

There has to be a reason why Apple has set up the HS install the way they have - I read somewhere that some Macs require a firmware update and doing the install in two steps allows that, but I'm not sure if that is actually true.

BTW - my Mac restarted about three times during the HS install, but Apple noted when the install started that multiple starts are normal - so no issue there, just a heads up in case somedone panics when the Mac restarts on its own.

PS: I'm just reading in another thread that someone had trouble installing Mojave because they needed a f/w update.
    Turned out they needed a "Helper Tool" to do the f/w upgrade.
    The "Helper Tool" was part of the HS installer download from the HS patch website and showed up at some point during the download or install - don't remember exactly where.
    Last edited by krs; 02-02-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Creating a Bootable Installer for MacOS
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean "having the installer on the backup".
    Once you download the installer from Apple and actually install the software, the installer gets deleted from your Mac.
    The only way you can actually end up with a full installer on your Mac is by not actually installing the software when it tells you to after the download.
    For HS that does not work.
    If you make a Time Machine or clone backup after the installer has downloaded completely, you will have a copy of the installer on your backup.

One thing I usually do is download each version of each update to macOS, so in Time Machine each update version is available to make an installer if needed. Because when you update in place, you don’t get the 10.xx.3 or 10.xx.5, etc.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Along the same lines - when I download a new OS installer from the Apple Store it goes into Applications. I stop it installing at that point, make a copy to an EHD, then from the original installer in Applications, make a bootable USB Installer with Diskmaker X onto a USB Stick.

That way I have 2 copies; the original Installer from Apple and a USB Bootable installer on a USB stick.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Say, anyone else wondering what's wrong with Apple and their recent macOS downloads and installs the last few years, and personally I'd say just from this thread alone that the situation is a bit ludicrous and pathetic!!!

At least some third parties try and solve the problem as shown by the link krs provided above — IF it still works and with Apple's blessings.

A pretty sad situation I'd say.
    I'm actually the one who posted the link. I guess I was lucky because back when I swapped the HDD in my iMac for an SSD, I was able to download High Sierra without issue and also create a bootable USB drive following Apple's instructions without issue. The clean install also went without a hitch. It is disturbing to hear some are experiencing such frustrating issues, though. Wish Apple had an article to clear the air on it.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Once you download the installer from Apple and actually install the software, the installer gets deleted from your Mac.
    The only way you can actually end up with a full installer on your Mac is by not actually installing the software when it tells you to after the download.

I've always just saved a copy of the Mac OS X installers and kept them in an "Installer Stuff" folder at the Root level.

They also then end up on my bootable CCC cloned backup and can be used from there if and whenever needed. Possibly the same thing as Bob was suggesting.

- Patrick
    ======

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Correct, Patrick. I made that point in post #33 as well.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 5k Retina iMac, 24 gig Ram, i7 4.0GHz, 10.13.6
    This is great, thanks. But a question, sorry for my ignorance. Im trying to find the HS Patch website and all I find are references to the dosdude1 site. Is there an official Apple HS Patch site? I'd rather go there.

Is there an official Apple HS Patch site? I'd rather go there.

You're joking right??? Or maybe new to the Mac/Apple world??

JFYI, Apple does NOT supply nor support hacks of any sort. And personally, I wouldn't even consider trying any HS Patch.

But I like and prefer using reliable and fully working machines.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Correct, Patrick. I made that point in post #33 as well.

Ian

OK, and I guess I reinforced the comment Ian, and maybe I should refresh the page before posting to make sure everything is loaded.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 5k Retina iMac, 24 gig Ram, i7 4.0GHz, 10.13.6
    Nope, not kidding and as I wrote, I'm not knowledgeable about these things. I did not understand that this was an unofficial hack. The major reason I use a Mac and not (usually) Windows is because the Mac mostly just works. In the meanwhile, I still need to somehow create a HS installer disk on a flash drive and all I'm able to download is the 22mb file.

Based on the last set of comments I'm wondering if people missed what I said in post #31.
    Downloading the FULL installer, not actually proceeding with the installation after download and making a bootable USB flash drive works fine in all recent versions of OS X including Mojave EXCEPT for High Sierra.
    But even for High Sierra, some people were able to download the full installers, but many apparently not, they just get the 22MB download initially.
    Why I don't know yet, but Apple sure didn't do that just for the fun of it - especially since the OS after HS downloads the full installer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
    This is great, thanks. But a question, sorry for my ignorance. Im trying to find the HS Patch website and all I find are references to the dosdude1 site. Is there an official Apple HS Patch site? I'd rather go there.
    The dosdude1 site is the HS patch website - he created that - nothing to do with Apple.
    The HS patch allows HS to be installed on some older Macs which are not officially supported by Apple to run HS.

But for our purposed you do NOT want to install the patch at all - you just go to the "tools" dropdown on that site to download the full installer for HS which you don't get directly from Apple.
    As I mentioned, the USB flash drive made using the HS download via that patch site seems to work fine, but for an actual install I'm going to go the long route simply because I don't know why Apple had to set up that two stage installation for HS.

In the meanwhile, I still need to somehow create a HS installer disk on a flash drive and all I'm able to download is the 22mb file.

From your specs, it seems you are already running 10.13.6 so you must have updated at some point, and I would think the full HS download/installer should be available in your Apple Store under the "Purchased" option tab is it not???

Then you should be able to just download it from there and use it however you want.

Or has Apple killed off that option as well lately???

Or am I just misunderstanding something again?

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    This App Store link lead to what I beleive is the full installer. The info says it weighs inn at just under 5 GB so thats probably the full installer.

BTW I used the dosdude Mojave Patcher recently to download Mojave. If the High Sierra Patcher behaves the same way it seems to download an unpatched versionn of the installer. The patches are applied later. Based on this article, I think the High Sierra patch behaves the same way.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Or has Apple killed off that option as well lately???

It seems like I owe Apple another black mark and it seems that they did remove Sierra and MacOS High Sierra from the users App Store, and not just for Mojave users as they are'nt there any longer for me either and I'm mainly still running Mavericks 10.9.5.

Apple's made it impossible to download old versions of MacOS in Mojavehttps://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-...macos-3684588/

I sure don't understand Apple's "logic" if one can call it that.

Thankfully I grabbed them when they were available and storred them away.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information