Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 109
  1. #46
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    40,784
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    Hey Nick. I'm not able to see your picture?
    Looks fine on my end.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  2. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Not 100% sure what's being said here due the spelling ("haven").

    Are you saying you "have" or "haven't" removed the artifacts and errors?

    - Nick
    Haha it was supposed to be "have been"... You can see it on the Attached picture.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Looks fine on my end.

    - Nick
    I cannot click on it or anything. It is just plain text for me.

  3. #48
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    40,784
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    Hey Nick. I'm not able to see your picture?
    Are you saying you're seeing the photos in your posts...but not in my post?

    If that's true...try checking your account settings "General Settings". There's an area that looks like this (screenshot below)...maybe the settings for this needs adjusting:

    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.14.59 PM.png

    - Nick

    p.s. Hopefully you're able to see the screenshot in this post. Lol
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #49
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,980
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    What computer/Browser are you trying to view Nick's picture in? It's fine here on my early 2008 old iMac using Chrome and Firefox.

  5. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are you saying you're seeing the photos in your posts...but not in my post?

    If that's true...try checking your account settings "General Settings". There's an area that looks like this (screenshot below)...maybe the settings for this needs adjusting:

    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.14.59 PM.png

    - Nick

    p.s. Hopefully you're able to see the screenshot in this post. Lol
    Just tried changing that setting for me (UN-checking "Show Images") as a test. It shows a link to the image (IMG_1653.JPG in your case in post 43) and when I click on it, it opens your image in the same browser window/tab, so something else is going on in the OP's case.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Just tried changing that setting for me (UN-checking "Show Images") as a test. It shows a link to the image (IMG_1653.JPG in your case in post 43) and when I click on it, it opens your image in the same browser window/tab, so something else is going on in the OP's case.
    Well I'm greeted with a message saying that I do not have permission to view that page? But, I can see the screenshots now.

  7. #52
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    40,784
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Just tried changing that setting for me (UN-checking "Show Images") as a test. It shows a link to the image (IMG_1653.JPG in your case in post 43) and when I click on it, it opens your image in the same browser window/tab, so something else is going on in the OP's case.
    Nice...thanks for performing that test.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #53
    Update!
    I cleaned both iMacs a lot, but I will clean every single component in them as I receive my capacitors from my supplier. The second iMac with the 5 cap replacement really needs extreme cleaning as it is filthy to put it lightly. After inspecting the caps I could see on the older model that it was only the 5 x 1000uf 16v 105 caps that needed replacement. On the other board they were all 1800uf 6.3v 105 caps and there were 9 caps that needed replacement. I was actually thinking about buying a SSD for them both and replacing the aging HDD in these. However, I will buy the SSD's after replacing the caps on both. Also, I was thinking about cleaning and replacing the thermal paste on both machines - both CPU and GPU. I also inspected the battery, which I resume was a CR2032 (if I remember correctly). I will also replace both of these.

  9. #54
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    40,784
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I suggested replacing the thermal paste earlier in the thread...always a good idea on an older computer. If these have integrated GPU's only...there may not be any heat sink to remove & replace the thermal paste. CPU's may have a removeable heatsink...and thermal paste that can be replaced (but I don't quite remember the iMac G5 logic board design).

    As far as SSD's. I know small capacity SSD's are getting pretty inexpensive...but even these low capacity/low cost SSD's will probably come close to rivaling the total value of these iMac's. But I think it was mentioned that these iMac G5's were going to be gifted to some relatives...so sometimes cost is not reallty an issue.

    My bigger concern is if these iMac G5's can be brought back to fully operational condition...that they will be really really slow on the internet. They just don't have the CPU & GPU (especially GPU) performance to deal with the complexity of the average 2019 webpage.

    And of course since these iMac G5's are VERY limited as far as the max OS they can run (and associated security updates)...if there are any true security threats out there for Apple computers...these iMac G5's would be vulernable. Not saying "out of the gate" they will be immediately vulernable...but certainly more vulernable than a more current Mac running a more current OS version.

    Good luck installing the new caps...and if you decide to do any GPU reflowing. Definitely keep us updated (successful or not).

    - Nick

    p.s. If it hasn't been done already...definitely give these iMac's a going blowing out with some compressed air...to remove all the dirt & fuzz that may have accumulated. Definitely want the cooling efficiency to be as good as possible. These G5's tend to run hot...and need all the cooling they can get.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #55
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    11,285
    I don't know if the OP knows about it or has been there, but there's probably some good info he can use from ther:
    http://lowendmac.com/

    Also, the info I think I mentioned previously:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

    Both sites encourage keeping old Macs alive and working.




    - Patrick
    ======

  11. #56
    Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I suggested replacing the thermal paste earlier in the thread...always a good idea on an older computer. If these have integrated GPU's only...there may not be any heat sink to remove & replace the thermal paste. CPU's may have a removeable heatsink...and thermal paste that can be replaced (but I don't quite remember the iMac G5 logic board design).

    As far as SSD's. I know small capacity SSD's are getting pretty inexpensive...but even these low capacity/low cost SSD's will probably come close to rivaling the total value of these iMac's. But I think it was mentioned that these iMac G5's were going to be gifted to some relatives...so sometimes cost is not reallty an issue.

    My bigger concern is if these iMac G5's can be brought back to fully operational condition...that they will be really really slow on the internet. They just don't have the CPU & GPU (especially GPU) performance to deal with the complexity of the average 2019 webpage.

    And of course since these iMac G5's are VERY limited as far as the max OS they can run (and associated security updates)...if there are any true security threats out there for Apple computers...these iMac G5's would be vulernable. Not saying "out of the gate" they will be immediately vulernable...but certainly more vulernable than a more current Mac running a more current OS version.

    Good luck installing the new caps...and if you decide to do any GPU reflowing. Definitely keep us updated (successful or not).

    - Nick

    p.s. If it hasn't been done already...definitely give these iMac's a going blowing out with some compressed air...to remove all the dirt & fuzz that may have accumulated. Definitely want the cooling efficiency to be as good as possible. These G5's tend to run hot...and need all the cooling they can get.
    Hi Nick. Thank you for your reply. I've been researching a bit and the highest OSX version for these Macs are Leopard. In regards to security threats on the internet there are TenFourFox, which is a fork of Firefox is available for older OSX These should be fully updated and should work fine. I was though looking at loading these macs with Linux, which should not be a problem Compressed air as in those automated bicycle pumps? Or did you mean those compressed air dusters in cans? My friend used one on my laptop some years ago and momentarily killing it for a while. He used it in the airflow duct.

  12. #57
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    40,784
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    I've been researching a bit and the highest OSX version for these Macs are Leopard.
    That is correct...OS 10.5.8 (Leopard).

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    In regards to security threats on the internet there are TenFourFox, which is a fork of Firefox is available for older OSX
    I'm not super familiar wth this...but from what I'm reading...this is alternative internet browser (which may give a better internet experience than other browsers on older Apple hardware). But not really a whole lot to do with security.

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    Or did you mean those compressed air dusters in cans? My friend used one on my laptop some years ago and momentarily killing it for a while. He used it in the airflow duct.
    Yes compressed air in a can specifically meant for use with electronics. If someone uses canned air improperly...sure it can do damage (almost nothing is "idiot-proof")!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    That is correct...OS 10.5.8 (Leopard).



    I'm not super familiar wth this...but from what I'm reading...this is alternative internet browser (which may give a better internet experience than other browsers on older Apple hardware). But not really a whole lot to do with security.



    Yes compressed air in a can specifically meant for use with electronics. If someone uses canned air improperly...sure it can do damage (almost nothing is "idiot-proof")!

    - Nick
    It is an alternative browser, which is still supported by the Mozilla community and receives security patches

  14. #59
    Update!
    UPDATE

    I have finally received all of my parts and I have started with the disassembly process. Everything is going fine and I am being very careful. However, I have this SATA power plug (perhaps), which is resisting to come off. I am not using force as I don't want to break it. Does anyone know how to get it unplugged properly without damaging anything please? It has already damaged to of my nails
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #60
    Looks like there's a tab on top holding it in place. If you have already tried lifting that tab up while pulling back on the cable, perhaps try using a flathead screwdriver to lift the tab with more leverage.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 17" powerbook 2005
    By olechuck in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
  2. Please help, "unknow error (2005)"
    By lourasso in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 06:52 AM
  3. 2005 Power Book G4 12"
    By kagome in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 02:51 AM
  4. FS: 15" Powerbook (2005)
    By rosem in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 09:42 AM
  5. Firewire Drive Not Mounting after "Security Update 2005-006"
    By rdr07 in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •