Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)
    I wasn't going to use it myself, but give it away to my nieces, girlfriend, family and such as presents. I thought about perhaps using them for light weight webbrowing or a Retro Machine.

Don't forget the possibility of using it/them as an electronic picture frame as some have done. But that might be overkill for power consumption.

However, my question was more in terms of what the chances were of it working if I changed the capacitors myself?
    You might want to check out this site that used to have lots of info for modding, fixing etc. all kinds of Macs here:
    Apple/Mac/OS X News, Tips and Tech Articles - xlr8yourmac.com

- Patrick
    ======

New update! Apparently blue screen causes no artifacts?! le: IMG_20190129_202809-Small.jpg

I just did a ASD test on the machine and the one test that failed (from what I could see) was the PCI ATI VIDEO CONTROLLER test which said "Data Mismatch Error" error testing failed. I was able to see a little which said in the system info that the CPU was a W8 CPU ID. Does this help?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyFrom1831 View Post
    New update! Apparently blue screen causes no artifacts?!
    What do you think this is?...that's the graphically messed up cursor:

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.49.28 PM.png

Just sayin,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

Just sayin,

- Nick
    It was moving as well the redesigned cursor However, there were no artifacts other than that.

Just sayin,

- Nick
    It was moving as well the redesigned cursor However, there were no artifacts other than that.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You were given some great advice over at MacRumors in the same thread you started there. Nick has more or less confirmed what was already said to you in that thread. Just saying.....

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    One quick warning. A large percentage of those Caps are blown. If you keep using that machine with those Caps. you will do more damage to the machine. I owned the very last iMac G5 that had the same case and basic design as the Intel macs that followed and using it with those tented caps caused it one day to GO BANG. Literally sounded like a large fire cracker going off inside the iMac! When I took it apart the one cap blew it's insides out all over and did damage to the Power Supply and the other one took out the SATA controller. After that the machine was history.

If you want to keep working with that iMac, please change the caps asap.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    One quick warning. A large percentage of those Caps are blown. If you keep using that machine with those Caps. you will do more damage to the machine. I owned the very last iMac G5 that had the same case and basic design as the Intel macs that followed and using it with those tented caps caused it one day to GO BANG. Literally sounded like a large fire cracker going off inside the iMac! When I took it apart the one cap blew it's insides out all over and did damage to the Power Supply and the other one took out the SATA controller. After that the machine was history.

If you want to keep working with that iMac, please change the caps asap.
    Thank you for your advice! At this stage I was trying to gather as much information as possible. Do you think changing those caps would do the trick? Or do I have to fix the GPU as well?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thank you for your advice! At this stage I was trying to gather as much information as possible. Do you think changing those caps would do the trick? Or do I have to fix the GPU as well?
    seriously the only to find out for sure is change all the tented/blown caps and then see what happens. It could fix the issue but at this point no one can say yes for sure.

The later G5 iMac was such a pain to get apart and it seemed ok that I never checked. If I would have checked sooner that machine would probably still be working today.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 01-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    seriously the only to find out for sure is change all the tented/blown caps and then see what happens. It could fix the issue but at this point no one can say yes for sure.
    Well I think I will try to change them all. I just hope all that work wouldnt be for nothing.

Your Mac's Specs
    I bought a set of caps one time for an iMac. I think they were around $15-$20. Might have gone up in price...it was a while ago.

As Dennis said...change the caps & see what happens.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

I bought a set of caps one time for an iMac. I think they were around $15-$20. Might have gone up in price...it was a while ago.

As Dennis said...change the caps & see what happens.

- Nick
    I was actually thinking about buy two more of these if these could be fixed. Some of the other models were beyond repair I guess. But, I will start with this one and see how it goes. Hope the work is not wasted.

I have a small update:

Now I have two iMac G5 20" machines! Second one seems in better form. I was thinking about reflowing the GPU with a gas burner lighter as suggested by someone. I've also seen it on YouTube. I guess using flux would be a good idea apart from changing the capacitors. What are your thoughts on this?

Your Mac's Specs

I was thinking about reflowing the GPU with a gas burner lighter as suggested by someone. I've also seen it on YouTube.
    I kinda already commented on this earlier in the thread (GPU reflowing & You Tube videos on it).

All I can say is good luck (really...I hope you are successful). But don't be surprised if you end up with a permanent doorstop.

- Nick

Thread Information