Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Why all this resistance to updating/upgrading ?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What has not been mentioned is that laptops are now appliances. The days of "tinkering" with them are going, going, (nearly) gone. Much like the iDevices, you configure it at purchase time, live with it as long as you are satisfied with it, then get a new appliance. And by having fewer things for the owner to tinker with, Apple has real savings in support costs. No more calls to Apple about issues with incompatible memory.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    What has not been mentioned is that laptops are now appliances. The days of "tinkering" with them are going, going, (nearly) gone.
    Appliances can't be tinkered with, huh? You obviously haven't met Tim the Tool Man Taylor

-Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Well....think back when Macs did have RAM slots and one could order a Mac with different RAM capacity from Apple.
    The difference in price for more RAM was almost double than what one could buy the RAM for from a reputable supplier like Crucial and one also received no credit in the Apple pricing for the base RAM that was replaced.
    Most folks didn't understand that, and thought that it was a plot against them by greedy Apple.

What they didn't understand is that RAM is a commodity item and its value fluctuates quite a bit. But Apple isn't free to wait for the lowest market price. They need RAM when they need it, and they need to purchase an appropriate amount when they need it. So they can't wait for the lowest prices on RAM chips before purchasing. They often have to purchase RAM at higher prices. If Apple purchased a huge supply of RAM at a low market price (to stock up), they might end up being stuck with millions of dollars worth of outdated RAM if technology changes overnight, as it often does.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Good grief!!! How did you read all that into what I mentioned and suggested in my short post??? Wow!!!
    Sorry if I misunderstood the point you were making. You'll have to be more clear.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Appliances can't be tinkered with, huh? You obviously haven't met Tim the Tool Man Taylor

Aaaaaannnndddd, we all know how well that turned out, every time!
    Jake

Tim the Tool Man Taylor....

Yikes, hard to believe that was a good twenty years ago... Lot's of tinkering done in those days...

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood the point you were making. You'll have to be more clear.

Really Randy??? I thought my comment was quite clear and concise, even for a lawyer to understand:
    It's a fair bit cheaper to solder in the components during manufacturing production.
    And most companies I know of look at ways to save money. At least good successful companies I know of do.

- Patrick
    ======

Really Randy??? I thought my comment was quite clear and concise, even for a lawyer to understand:
    And that's what I responded to. Once again, if you were making a different point, you should make it more clear.
    Randy B. Singer

And that's what I responded to. Once again, if you were making a different point, you should make it more clear.
    All he said was Apple solders the RAM to save money. You then asserted that he was a conspiracy theorist who believes that "Apple is a greedy company that only does things to screw their customers and make more money." I know there are people out there who do believe that, but you can't conclude that about Patrick based on his post in question.
    -Jonathan

All he said was Apple solders the RAM to save money. You then asserted that he was a conspiracy theorist who believes that "Apple is a greedy company that only does things to screw their customers and make more money." I know there are people out there who do believe that, but you can't conclude that about Patrick based on his post in question.
    That's what the discussion had been about and he made the assertion that it was about money. If he had a different point he should have stated it.
    Randy B. Singer

That's what the discussion had been about and he made the assertion that it was about money. If he had a different point he should have stated it.
    The topic was the motivation for soldering the RAM. Patrick thinks it's primarily a monetary decision. That does not mean he thinks they're a greedy company that is out to screw their customers. If he had meant that, he would have said so. Since he didn't say so, you can't assume that's what he meant. Seems pretty simple to me. That's all I'm going to say on that.
    -Jonathan

The topic was the motivation for soldering the RAM. Patrick thinks it's primarily a monetary decision. That does not mean he thinks they're a greedy company that is out to screw their customers. If he had meant that, he would have said so. Since he didn't say so, you can't assume that's what he meant. Seems pretty simple to me. That's all I'm going to say on that.
    Or...he could simply have said what he meant, and then no one would have made any assumptions whatsoever.
    Randy B. Singer

But, as Jonathan mentioned, if I had meant what you seem to have misunderstood, you can be guaranteed I would have said so, and probably with some emphatic negative comment thrown in as well.

Anyway, regardless of Apple's reasoning, which no non-Apple employee will ever probably know for sure, it is definitely a valid method for reducing costs — soldering components during manufacture.

And I'm done here on this particular offshoot thread thanks and have a nice day as they say...

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by chscag; 01-31-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: No reason to make derogatory comments! Comments removed.

Wow!! I'm assuming that only a lawyer could interpret what I said as an assertion!!! Good grief, I wonder what a judge would have thought???
    Moderators? If Patrick can be a bigot and repeatedly attack me for my profession, does that mean that I can attack him back saying personal things about him?
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Patrick's comments have been removed. And we are going to close this thread.

Our thanks to all who have participated.

Thread Information