Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Yes, I thought about that typo after I had already posted and was doing something else. Corrected.

Ok, so now I'm confused. You said in your previous post that you had logged into iCloud to stop the annoying messages. So I'm not sure how when you go to System Preferences > iCloud that it shows that you're not logged in. I assume you mean El Capitan, and as far as I remember there was nothing different between iCloud settings in El Capitan than later versions of macOS. I guess as long as you're not getting any messages prompting you to sign into iCloud, then all is well, but that's definitely where you would go, were you signed in, in order to enable or disable the various iCloud services.
    Sorry about the confusion.
    When I posted I had to log in to stop the iCloud messages, that was on the 2017 MacBook Air running El Capitan.
    And that was on a pop-up that showed up in the middle of the screen without me doing anything.
    It seemed like the Mac trying to log inti iCloud and couldn't.
    When I just closed that pop-up window it would go away for a short while and then come back with the same message until I finally relented and logged in.

The iCloud pane that comes up in system preferences > iCloud is a different layout but it also has the sign in options - I was looking for an enable/disable prompt.
    I brought up that from a Mac Mini also running the same version of El Capitan as the 2017 MacBook Air.
    Both computers were bought from Apple under my name.

I'll try to include a screen shot here of the system preferences > iCloud pane I see - there is no enable/disable.
    Maybe one has to log in before one can disable....... which forces one to create an Apple ID
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah Patrick, that's another annoying one

I get it on the 2012 Mini which can actually run Mojave but there is no option allowing one to say "No thank-you"....don't bug me again.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Sorry about the confusion.
    When I posted I had to log in to stop the iCloud messages, that was on the 2017 MacBook Air running El Capitan.
    And that was on a pop-up that showed up in the middle of the screen without me doing anything.
    It seemed like the Mac trying to log inti iCloud and couldn't.
    When I just closed that pop-up window it would go away for a short while and then come back with the same message until I finally relented and logged in.

The iCloud pane that comes up in system preferences > iCloud is a different layout but it also has the sign in options - I was looking for an enable/disable prompt.
    I brought up that from a Mac Mini also running the same version of El Capitan as the 2017 MacBook Air.
    Both computers were bought from Apple under my name.

I'll try to include a screen shot here of the system preferences > iCloud pane I see - there is no enable/disable.
    Maybe one has to log in before one can disable....... which forces one to create an Apple ID
    Yes, just create an Apple ID (I assumed you had one...it definitely won't hurt anything), sign into iCloud, and disable all the services. You don't have to use any of the services just because you're signed in.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Why all this resistance to updating/upgrading ?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    A user needs an AppleID account to get to the Mac App Store, and, I think, to get updates to the OS as well. But that last may have changed when they moved system updates to System Preferences instead of the store. Nevertheless, AppleID is how all synchronization takes place. You can see what might be synced by looking at the iCloud pane in System Preferences. The system wants to be logged in because periodically it checks with iCloud to see if any of your other devices that may be registered to the same AppleID have made any changes that need syncing. In your case, if you don't have any other devices you still need to log into your AppleID because the check still takes place, finds nothing to sync and shuts down. Once you have logged in, it should not bother you again unless somehow the login fails.

As for the problem Patrick is talking about, Patrick, don't bother clicking on "Details." It just takes you to the Mojave home page where you can download it, but it won't install unless your system is on the list of acceptable systems. I got that on my old iMac for a while, then it stopped.
    Jake

I do have an Apple ID, but that is not the point.

It's another example of Apple trying to shove their eco-system down your throat.

iCloud should be an option that one can enable, not something where one needs to create an Apple ID to turn it off.

Your Mac's Specs
    iCloud should be an option that one can enable, not something where one needs to create an Apple ID to turn it off.
    And it is. Open iCloud in the System Preferences, uncheck all of the options for things to sync. Done. You have opted out of iCloud.

But the OS will still do a check, so you will need to provide your AppleID and log in unless you want the popup. But you won't have anything in the ecosystem.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    A user needs an AppleID account to get to the Mac App Store...........
    Sure, to get something from the App Store it makes sense that Apple gets some information especially when they want to bill you.

But here we are talking about a cloud storage service that I don't even want and will never use.

Your Mac's Specs
    But here we are talking about a cloud storage service that I don't even want and will never use.
    Fine, don't use it. Unchecking "iCloud Drive" will disable anything going there. It's totally optional, as are all the other iCloud services.
    Jake

And it is. Open iCloud in the System Preferences, uncheck all of the options for things to sync. Done. You have opted out of iCloud.
    And where do I see all these options to uncheck when I open iCloud in system preferences?
    I posted a screen shot - there is nothing to uncheck - just options to force you to log in.

Your Mac's Specs
    As I said, log in and the pane will change to show what can be synchronized. De-select each of them and you are done. Don't click on "sign out" or you will have to log in again when the popup appears.
    Jake

Fine, don't use it. Unchecking "iCloud Drive" will disable anything going there. It's totally optional, as are all the other iCloud services.
    There is no option to uncheck "iCloud Drive" or disable it - that is my whole point.

Your Mac's Specs
    When you log in, the pane changes to show this: 2019-01-29 05.09.42 pm.pngAs you can see, first item is "iCloud Drive." And it is selectable or de-selectable.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Sure, to get something from the App Store it makes sense that Apple gets some information especially when they want to bill you.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine the vast majority of Mac users use at least one iCloud service--likely more--whether it be Find my Mac (or iPhone/iPad), syncing notes/reminder/calendars/mail, etc. so it sort of makes sense that the system would assume you'd be signed in and thus prompt you when you're not. But Apple IDs are free, and I don't see any downside to obtaining one, even if it were just to "appease" macOS by signing into iCloud

Create an Apple ID
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204316

Then if you ever do decide to use a service that requires an Apple ID, you're already set.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Your Mac's Specs
    Jonathan, it doesn't matter whether or not the vast majority use or don't use the free service. krs has decided that the service is not usable for any purpose he or she might have. So the objection raised is that krs is being "nagged" to log in for something unwanted. There is a way to stop the nag, which is what I have described, namely, log in and deselect any and all services. But the OS will still need an AppleID and password because of the checks it makes.

I agree with you that probably 99% do use at least some of the services offered by Apple. I use most of them, as you can see. But it's still optional. Beyond the log in for AppleID, nobody is being forced to use it at all.
    Jake

As I said, log in and the pane will change to show what can be synchronized. De-select each of them and you are done. Don't click on "sign out" or you will have to log in again when the popup appears.
    This whole discussion is about Apple trying to force the user to provide information to access a service he has no interest in using just to turn it off.
    I assume if I had bought my first Mac at Staples and therefore didn't have an Apple ID, I would go through the same exercise - being forced to create an Apple ID so I could turn that annoying pop-up off.

I get that more and more on websites, they are looking for information that is not actually needed.

Thread Information