Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Home Page

Best Home Page
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I also forgot to mention the Brave "Rewards" system/option. Surely this is the most interesting element of this browser. I have to say I don't fully understand it.
    It says in the How It Works tab; "Earn by viewing privacy-respecting ads and pay it forward to support content creators you love". What do I earn?
    Get paid to view relevant ads that respect your privacy and "Support your favourite sites just by browsing or tip a site any time you like".
    Is this some sort of cyber currency or is it like reputation points?
    I'm mystified. Obviously this is an area I'm a bit ignorant of.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    There is one other thing I noticed which may or may not be a issue for some. There is no personal login although it seems you can personalise for different users. There is an upside and a downside to this. On the upside it means my information (book marks, history, passwords and preference etc) are all stored locally, not on a remote data base which I'm sure will appeal to the security conscious among us but this means that information cannot be easily synced to another device.
    I notice there is an iOS version which is a big plus to me but without the personal login, browsing and site information cannot be shared or synced across devices.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe a problem?
    I just realised why the Quick Reply box looks so different. I noticed when the box is active it's grey thats different from Firefox but there was something else. I'm sure you can spot it, no tool bar. Curently I'm in Brave in the Advanced message box and the problem is the same here too. I'll swap back to Firefox and send.

Brave 2019-01-23 09:33:32.png

Firefox 2019-01-23 09:32:12 .png
    Last edited by Rod Sprague; 01-22-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Perhaps we should port all of this to a new thread as we have strayed a little from the original subject but on this topic I installed Slimjet, a browser i have never tried. I'm posting this on it now and boy oh boy is it fast! Even with my on and VPN set to Australia I'm loading pages, like Facebook and my banking sites in
    3-4 secs.
    All of my bookmarks transferred from Firefox including the Tool Bar bookmarks. Like Shield it accesses the Chrome Store for Extensions and Themes and unlike Shield in the above previous thread the Quick Reply dialogue box appears with the editing tool bar as it should.
    Obviously it warrants a bit more investigation but it looks pretty good so far.
    The only downsides;
    a. the issue with decoders. They have provided a workaround to allow download of the ffmpeg library in order to play common media types but this will need to be downloaded and installed at each update of Slimjet but i could put up with that.
    b. no iOS version although if you are a Chrome iOS user that would not be a problem.

Note: The no iOS version, is one of the reasons I have not shifted to Vivaldi as my default macOS browser.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I just realised why the Quick Reply box looks so different. I noticed when the box is active it's grey thats different from Firefox but there was something else. I'm sure you can spot it, no tool bar. Curently I'm in Brave in the Advanced message box and the problem is the same here too. I'll swap back to Firefox and send.

Brave 2019-01-23 09:33:32.png

Firefox 2019-01-23 09:32:12 .png
    SOLVED: I did not realize until a few seconds ago that this browser blocks Java Script by default. You can selectively (for individual sites) turn that feature off by clicking a little icon at the righthand end of the address bar. Easy peasy. This browser is looking good so far.

Best Home Page
    I installed Slimjet, a browser i have never tried. I'm posting this on it now and boy oh boy is it fast!
    Until very recently, Slimjet was the fastest browser I'd ever seen, and Brave was almost as fast, but had much better built-in security features. With recent updates both browsers are now wildly fast, and both have great security features. Competition is a wonderful thing!

Both SlimJet and Brave are based on Chromium.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Randy, I think I like Brave better and the security options are easy to customise once I got the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone

Best Home Page
    Randy, I think I like Brave better and the security options are easy to customise once I got the hang of it.
    That's great Rod!

I'm keeping an eye on all of the competitors: Vivaldi, Slimjet, Epic, Opera, FireFox, WaterFox, etc. and I'll let you all know if one leapfrogs all the others.
    Randy B. Singer

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Waterfox?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
    I've still been going back, and forth, between Vivaldi, & Brave. Brave is noticeably faster, but one or two small issues (just me being picky ), keep me going back to Vivaldi.

@Randy..... Back in the day, there were articles on the Neenernet about the time delay between when Firefox released security updates, and when they landed in Waterfox. Was that either resolved?, or was the "delay" more hype, than an actual issue?

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Waterfox?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I ran into Waterfox searching for a new browser that would load and display all the new web pages in Mac OSX Mountain Lion which I have to use on my older iMac as it's the last OSX that runs my older Photoshop that I need.

Its Firefox code but with the latest updates so all sites load and look great.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Hey Dennis....

What's going on over at Mozilla? It appears they either sold off or gave away Thunderbird to SoftMaker. I noticed that SoftMaker is bundling Thunderbird 52 with their Office suite (https://www.softmaker.com/en/blog). I used Thunderbird for quite a while during the time I ran both Windows and macOS since it worked well with both operating systems.

Best Home Page
    Waterfox?
    WaterFox is an interesting story.

WaterFox is basically FireFox (which is open source code, so anyone can use it and modify it), but it is optimized for the best performance possible on the latest Macs.

"Waterfox is a high performance browser based on the Mozilla platform. Made specifically for 64-Bit systems, Waterfox has one thing in mind: speed.
    What makes Waterfox so fast? It's built with Intel's C++ compiler. One of the most powerful compilers out there. This enables us to make the fastest possible web browser for all the code changes we make. This potent combination makes for an unparalleled browsing experience."

The thing is, a project like FireFox has to cater to a wide array of models of computer. WaterFox is a project taken on by a young programmer who wanted to see how fast a browser he could make if he concentrated on using the latest technology in the latest Macs using the most recent versions of the Mac OS. The theme of performance is also helped along by a lot of stuff that WaterFox removes from the underlying code, like DRM and tracking routines.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/
    Randy B. Singer

Best Home Page
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    What's going on over at Mozilla? It appears they either sold off or gave away Thunderbird to SoftMaker. I noticed that SoftMaker is bundling Thunderbird 52 with their Office suite (https://www.softmaker.com/en/blog). I used Thunderbird for quite a while during the time I ran both Windows and macOS since it worked well with both operating systems.
    Since Thunderbird is open source code, anybody can give it away to anybody else.

Most people aren't aware that Thunderbird has been in maintenance mode for almost five years now.

So, That’s It For Thunderbird – TechCrunch

But at least they still release bug fixes and updates to keep it working with the latest Mac OS fairly regularly.
    Randy B. Singer

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Well I suppose, to be fair, I should give Waterfox a try. Firefox is my default and has been for a while so I imagine a swap would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone

Thread Information