Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Home Page

Best Home Page
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    It's a pity I can't run Brave on my old iPad mini iOS 9.3.5, would have been perfect. I have loaded it on my MBP though. I'll report back on that. Seems to me I tried it a while back and didn't like it much. Maybe it's improved.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
    I have the same problem with Brave, that I have with Chrome... some intentional "pop-up windows" are too large, and I've yet to figure out how to resize them. (pic 1)

While Firefox, and Vivaldi (Which IS Chrome based) are fine (pic 2)
    Xnip2019-01-22_06-53-51.jpg

Xnip2019-01-22_06-51-07.jpg

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    For the fun of it I just installed Brave on the 2010 Quad core iMac i7 with High Sierra. It gave me the option to import, since most of my bookmarks are in Safari, I choose that. All are there under bookmarks and in the bookmarks bar just like in Safari.

I don't know what is up with it not working for some. Strange for sure. Are you importing from Safari?
    Dennis:

Both Jake and myself are trying to set Brave up in Mojave and importing Safari bookmarks from Safari running in Mojave. Randy didn't say which version of macOS he was running when importing bookmarks from Safari and Firefox. I noticed that you were running High Sierra at the time. I'm wondering if the problem is that Brave is not ready for Mojave?

Anyway, I'm not sure I like it even if it works. Safari is working for me and so is Chrome.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Here is what I get with Mojave 10.14.3 (just updated today) and Safari 12.0.3

2019-01-22 03.20.11 pm.png

Nothing at all on the bookmarks bar. That is after five tries.

As I said, when it's ready, I may try again but for now, not ready for prime time.
    Jake

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Dennis:

Both Jake and myself are trying to set Brave up in Mojave and importing Safari bookmarks from Safari running in Mojave. Randy didn't say which version of macOS he was running when importing bookmarks from Safari and Firefox. I noticed that you were running High Sierra at the time. I'm wondering if the problem is that Brave is not ready for Mojave?

Anyway, I'm not sure I like it even if it works. Safari is working for me and so is Chrome.
    Could be the issue is Mojave and Safari is different enough than it is in High Sierra. Thanks for filling me in. I will test it in a few and report back.

I love Safari overall and keep FF and Chrome just in case.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Just installed Brave in Mojave and nothing. No import of anything. Tried it 2x. It works on HS though on my other systems.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just installed Brave in Mojave and nothing. No import of anything. Tried it 2x. It works on HS though on my other systems.
    Thanks Dennis for verifying what Jake and I are experiencing. I hope Randy reads this and tests it with his version of Mojave. By the way, the other browser that Randy mentioned, Slimjet, acts the same way as Brave. No go.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Charlie, I tried one more thing, I have Chrome on the iMac with Mojave also with a few bookmarks in it. I tried selecting Chrome for import and that works. So it does not like the latest Safari in Mojave. Going to file a bug report on their site.

Best Home Page
    I've yet to use a Web browser that was perfect in every way. (And I have about a dozen of them installed on my computer.)

Those seeing a problem with Brave might consider filing a bug report for the benefit of everybody:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/a...-a-bug-report-
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    I've yet to use a Web browser that was perfect in every way. (And I have about a dozen of them installed on my computer.)

Those seeing a problem with Brave might consider filing a bug report for the benefit of everybody:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/a...-a-bug-report-
    Read my next post.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Could the issue be with Safari, and the fact the Apple has secured it down tight, with only apps in the macOS App Store being able to access Safari?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Could the issue be with Safari, and the fact the Apple has secured it down tight, with only apps in the macOS App Store being able to access Safari?
    Interesting. Very well could be. My MBP just installed a new Safari update in High Sierra but Brave still imported the bookmarks. I also feel it's a Mojave issue and what you said fits very well.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Interesting. Very well could be. My MBP just installed a new Safari update in High Sierra but Brave still imported the bookmarks. I also feel it's a Mojave issue and what you said fits very well.
    Well, Mojave has been updated today to 10.14.3 but Jake reports that even with the update Brave will not import Safari bookmarks. I may give Brave another try and instead import bookmarks from Chrome. My version of Chrome is up to date and has the same bookmarks as Safari.

Best Home Page
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I posted that I installed Brave last night and had no problem importing bookmarks, but neglected to mention that I was importing them from Firefox not Safari because I don't use that on my MBP. I'm running Mojave 10.14.2 (didn't know there was an update but sometimes we are a day behind here). I too use Vivaldi, it has some unique features which work well for some tasks but Firefox is my go to because I can load all of the extensions I like to use like my password manager, Ghostery, Ad Block etc. Chrome works when Firefox won't for live streaming video and Safari is the repository of all my bookmarks over the years and yes I do use it on my old iPad because iOS 9.3.5 on an iPod mini 16Gb won't run much else successfully due to storage and CPU constraints. So I was sad to see that Brave won't run on that, needs iOS 12.
    What I would like to see is how well the security features work on Brave without the addition of ad blockers and anti tracking extensions. I see that everything available on the Chrome extension shop is available to Brave, much like Vivaldi but without running in Developer mode.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Best Home Page
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Well, Mojave has been updated today to 10.14.3 but Jake reports that even with the update Brave will not import Safari bookmarks. I may give Brave another try and instead import bookmarks from Chrome. My version of Chrome is up to date and has the same bookmarks as Safari.
    Thanks for the heads up on the .3 update. I am a Beta tester and I have the last Beta of .3 installed. will check after dinner.

Thread Information