Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What is using up all my memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    By the way folks.....

Hopefully Apple will get this fixed before the next version of macOS. I understand they (Apple) are also working on getting APFS to work with Fusion drives.
    I'm of two minds about that Charlie. On the one hand, I noticed a pretty decent speed improvement when I ran APFS on my Fusion drive. Given the number of snags, such as this one, I might be inclined to wait a bit longer. Unless the next MacOS forces the issue somehow.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Charlie, I have never had more than two snapshots on my system when I've run the command. I run TM with a scheduler twice a day, so I get a snapshot just as the backup ends, but then TM is turned off again and I get no more. But it DOES erase the older snapshots when the backup is done. You've mentioned this glitch before, but as i said, it's not happening here. I'm running HS with an SSD formatted APFS. I'm wondering if the glitch is in the "legend" category?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP macOS Mojave....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
    I typically back up and then remove my drive until it prompts me that it's been X days since last back up

Your Mac's Specs
    And that's why the snapshots. So attach the backup, let TM run and it should then delete the snapshots and restore the space. Then before you disconnect the backup drive, open TM in System Preferences and un-check the "run automatically" box. Also check "Show Time Machine in menu bar" to get a TM icon in the top bar. Stopping automatic backups will stop new snapshots from forming. You will have to remember on your own to periodically backup, but you can use recurring reminders to remind you every X days to do a backup. When you want to do a backup, attach the drive, go to the TM icon on the top bar, click it and then "Back Up Now" and it will make a backup.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    That probably explains why there are so many of these "local snapshots' stored on the drive. The longer one goes without the backup drive attached the more of them that are created. Given your backup schedule, I think that is where your space is going.

Two things are supposed to be happening once the files are created.

1. If the system gets in a bind for storage the local snapshots are deleted. Not all of them are deleted at once. It's my understanding that the oldest ones are deleted first until enough space is created.
    2. When your Time Machine backup is attached and a backup is run the local snapshots are deleted. I don't recall whether all of the snapshots are deleted at once or whether they are deleted gradually over time.

Were you experiencing performance issues with all those snapshots on the drive?

What Jake said I really must learn to type faster. lol
    Kevin Durant

What Jake said I really must learn to type faster. lol

Whoa…Slydude!!!! You mean you're not using your Mac OS's dictation???

I've been trying it out at times, and it's sort of fun but I'm a long way from mastering it and making it actually faster than my finger pecking typing!!

Then I forget to use it and fall back into old slow finger pecking typing habits.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Whoa…Slydude!!!! You mean you're not using your Mac OS's dictation???

I've been trying it out at times, and it's sort of fun but I'm a long way from mastering it and making it actually faster than my finger pecking typing!!

Then I forget to use it and fall back into old slow finger pecking typing habits.

- Patrick
    ======
    Same here.

I've been using the Dragon program from Nuance though. I'll admit though it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of that program though. I'm not using nearly all of the features I could be with that program.

I tried the built-in dictation shortly after it was introduced. IIRC, at the time it depended upon sending information over the internet for processing. I didn't want to do that at the time and our net was a bit wonky. Think I am going to experiment with it some more this summer.
    Kevin Durant

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    In the meantime I just leave Backup Automatically unticked on Time Machine Preferences. I checked my Macintosh HD via Terminal and found one Time Machine Snapshot but there were three CCC snapshots. I have since adjusted the frequency and the duration time to keep CCC snapshots which I should mention could be very handy for a restore should I need to reverse something accidental.
    Clicking on the Macintosh HD in the sidebar of CCC gives you a range of options for snapshots, including turning them off.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Definition of CCC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    In the meantime I just leave Backup Automatically unticked on Time Machine Preferences. I checked my Macintosh HD via Terminal and found one Time Machine Snapshot but there were three CCC snapshots. I have since adjusted the frequency and the duration time to keep CCC snapshots which I should mention could be very handy for a restore should I need to reverse something accidental.
    Clicking on the Macintosh HD in the sidebar of CCC gives you a range of options for snapshots, including turning them off.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks everyone. I now have available 99.44 GB (1.47 GB purgeable)

Your Mac's Specs
    CCC= Carbon Copy Cloner, a third-party backup program.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Same here.

I've been using the Dragon program from Nuance though. I'll admit though it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost of that program though. I'm not using nearly all of the features I could be with that program.

I tried the built-in dictation shortly after it was introduced. IIRC, at the time it depended upon sending information over the internet for processing. I didn't want to do that at the time and our net was a bit wonky. Think I am going to experiment with it some more this summer.
    Do you know if Dragon, does not connect over the internet, while you're speaking?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Since Time Machine makes hourly, daily, and weekly backups, that explains why there are so many of them. I am also assuming, like iOS, you are notified every two weeks, that a backup hasn't been performed.

Hourly backups = 24
    Daily backups = 14
    Weekly backups = 2
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Again, Carbon Copy Cloner (when using APFS) can now do everything that Time Machine does. No, it's not free like Time Machine, but in my opinion it's more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Do you know if Dragon, does not connect over the internet, while you're speaking?
    OT, but…

I don't believe it does and BTW; Mac OS X's Dictation allows "offline use and continuous dictation" as long as the Dictation & Speech pref pane "Use Enhanced Dictation" has been checked.
    Doing so downloads a lot of extras to allow it to work. I'm not sure of the actual size it takes up.

PS: It seems that the Enhanced Dictation uses 1.2GB of drive space if it has been enabled:
    How to Remove the Enhanced Dictation 1.2GB Pack from Mac
    http://osxdaily.com/2016/11/23/remov...dictation-mac/

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-27-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Thread Information