Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Webpage using significant energy"
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by greyzland View Post
    Thanks for the explanation MacInwin...
    What browser version are you using?

What MacOS X/OS X/macOS version are you using?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Im using Safari, El Capitan 10.11.6

It's not you it's MacOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by greyzland View Post
    I got this warning pop up that the webpage Im reading is using too much energy and directs me to close by "clicking on the X" ?.... I did not click on that X as it might be another ploy to agree to what this malware?command is wanting me to do... my MBP has been held and locked by somebody from India in the past using a look alike Apple Customer Support...I just had the present of mind to call our local Apple Customer Support which is a different 800 number from the Indian Apple Customer support who helped me got out of that ransomeware from India..
    I need help on knowing if this pop up warning is legitimate and if not how do I get rid of this...I have Onyx, Malwarebytes, Ghostery and Adblock in my MBP..
    thanks for your help.
    So after suffering this problem for the past 12 months I believe I finally know what is going on. It's not the browser, it's the system and how it uses or doesn't fully support OpenGL which some websites still use. OpenGL handles the graphics on the computer in particular games and videos.

The OpenGL deprecation

Apple's developer documentation advised that active development has ceased for OpenGL and OpenCL on the Mac, and that the APIs will only get "minor changes" going forward.

"Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders," the company noted.

In software, "deprecation" means that a feature has been superseded and that while the old version should still work for the time being, it's advised to stop using it moving forward and to prepare for a future where it is removed entirely.

Except websites don't use OpenGL, but rather WebGL if they want to utilize the GPU for graphics. So not sure this is related.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

WebGL is an API to OpenGL
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Except websites don't use OpenGL, but rather WebGL if they want to utilize the GPU for graphics. So not sure this is related.
    WebGL is an API to OpenGL. So fairly related.

"Webpage using significant energy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post

I'm guessing that the user would get some sort of notice if this was needed??? Yes??? Maybe???

How-to: Enable WebGL in Safari
    Unfortunately WebGL support is not enabled in Safari by default.
    How-to enable WebGL in Safari - Safari Web GL Settings

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information