Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

How can I fully secure my iCloud/iOS
    I need the piece of mind, too many coincidences from people I donít fully trust

My plan is to factory reset my iPad, then connect to a random network (maybe tether 4G) and log into iCloud.com. From there will reset my password and secret questions. Then will sign into the device Iím using. Is this the safest way of doing it?

The question is what about using my iCloud backup which I want to do ideally: presumably photos or video can be infected with clever spyware and as soon I download them from a compromised iCloud thatís the way a hacker can get in?

What about storing locally my iCloud then wiping And using that recover pictures/photos etc

At this point Iím considering wiping everything and starting fresh

How can I fully do the most I can to secure my iOS/Cloud after Iím sure itís been compromised?

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Do you have 2FA, Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support, turned on? This is the safest way to secure your iCloud account/Apple ID. You may want to bookmark it, or keep it in your reading list, for future reference? It is not the same as Apple's Two-Step Verification, Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Why do you think it's compromised?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Yes I have 2FA and 2 step but I read it doesn’t affect iCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Why do you think it's compromised?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Sorry m8 can’t get into that again but I’m pretty convinced it has

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Spk4m

Obviously you have your private reasons for believing that your iCloud account may have been compromised.

There is a secure procedure for dealing with this: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised Ė Apple Support

Assuming you trust Apple, maybe you could consider their suggestions?

Anyway, good luck. It's an awful feeling that things are not as they should be.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Back in the day, when Apple launched its email service closely followed by a cloud based data storage offer my peers and I were naturally a little sceptical about both the safety and the need for such a service. We all had personal backup strategies in place and could not see how a remote data base would be better.
    I had all my music and photos backed up on CDís as well as the games and apps that had not already come on instal disks. I stored all my documents on an external drive. I persisted with this method even after the introduction of the iPhone, syncing what I wanted and removing what I didnít via USB to iTunes.
    None of my data was ďout thereĒ everything was ďin houseĒ.

The point that Iím making is that this is still entirely possible to do, if anything itís easier.
    If all your data is stored locally and your only connections to the internet are email and a web browser then itís fairly easy to contain the risk of contamination or compromise.

Cloud based storage is about convenience after all. Syncing photos, notes, calendars, Keychain, browser and mail data across devices. Itís not really a necessity. As a backup it has some advantages but it is nowhere near as efficient as a local backup like Time Machine or a bootable clone.

Once all your data is in one place you can check for contamination with eg DetectX Swift or similar.

You can erase and rebuild your iPad using apps like iMazing.
    You can store, create and manage your passwords with a locally stored offline password manager like Enpass.
    You can secure most of your online data with end to end encryption using a good VPN service like Express VPN. There are even secure encrypted email clients if you want to go that far.

The thing is, if you have control of your data and devices there is very little risk involved.

There are some things you cannot avoid like Find My, what used to be called Find My iPhone. This is an integral part of Appleís security system 2FA. There is no harm in syncing Mail to iCloud as they have access to that already, the same goes for reminders but thatís about all.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Sorry m8 can’t get into that again but I’m pretty convinced it has
    Frankly, if you can't tell us that, then the answers are going to limited to generic security solutions. If we knew why you think it was compromised, we could either confirm your fears or show how those fears are uncalled for. Frankly, given what I know about how iCloud works, about the only way your account can be compromised is if someone has your password. And if that is the problem, just change the password and use something really secure.
    Jake

Thread Information