Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MacKeeper

MacKeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Thanks Patrick, I've read that before, but it doesn't specifically tell me how format an external drive to make a bootable backup. That's where I'm stuck.

I'm told I shouldn't bash Apple, but their lack of specific details and clarity and even diagrams or illustrations in their KB "help" articles drives me crazy.

I guess maybe try another more specific Google search unless you can get up Apple search engine to work better than I can.

I'm sorry I didn't supply the correct URL, and I just glanced through it, and I should have read through for more details and to see if the info needed was even included.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post

There is the ability to create a clone backup built right into the Mac OS. But it is quite a bit slower than using CCC or SD. Another huge disadvantage to it is that there in no ability to do a smart update. If your data on your main hard drive changes, you have to do a complete new clone backup from scratch if you want to add your new data to your backup. However, the ability to create a clone backup built into the Mac OS has the huge advantage of being free. Here is how you do it:

- Plug the backup HD into the computer.
    - Launch Disk Utility.
    - Select the HD you want to copy in the column to the left.
    - Click on the Restore tab.
    - That HD you just selected should appear after Source:
    - From the window on the left, drag the icon of the HD to which you want the Source HD copied.
    - You should see a note with something to this effect: Erase the Destination HD and copy the contents of the Source HD to it?
    - Click on the Restore button and that’s it.
    Regarding recent changes in data/information on the source drive, I do my SuperDuper! backups right after using my machines, along with always keeping both machines in sync. In fact, that is what I am about to do soon, as I am using my Mac Mini right now before I do my maintenance/backup tasks (for my MacBook Air, already did updates yesterday, and my EMail is kept up to date on both machines).

As for free versus not free, while free is nice, as you said, using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner is easier for making clones. Also, it makes it easier when doing a clean installation of the Mac OS, and then migrating information from the just completed backup. And the cost is not that bad: SuperDuper! for $27.95, and CCC for $39.95. One can use either of them in demo mode for a period of time, and in fact, when I started using SuperDuper!, I used in in demo mode for almost a year.

So, the ease, convenience, and restore capabilities of either one are an easy trade off for me.
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Have a read here and see if it could be due to the formatting that was used on the boot Drive:
    Which format: APFS or Mac OS Extended
    How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

- Patrick
    ======
    Interesting and informative link. Given that I use Mojave, my internal SSDs on both of my Macs are automatically formatted with APFS with an installation of Mojave. For two of my external SSDs (partitioned with 3 partitions), I formatted each partition (via Disk Utility) as APFS, and that works fine. For my third SSD, given that I use it to watch Movies and/or TV series on our TVs, and plug it into a Roku device, the Roku software recognizes Mac OS Extended, but not APFS (I guess there is the possibility of a software upgrade from Roku that would alleviate that, but for now, it's fine).

MacKeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    ...it doesn't specifically tell me how format an external drive to make a bootable backup. That's where I'm stuck.
    Preparing your backup disk for a backup of macOS

Preparing your backup disk for a backup of macOS | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

"Choosing a Format for your destination volume

"Mojave and Catalina: Choose APFS if you are backing up your startup disk or another installation of macOS. Do not choose APFS Encrypted. You can encrypt your backup by enabling FileVault while booted from the backup volume.

"High Sierra: both APFS and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) are acceptable formats for a backup of the system. Mirroring Apple's recommendations, we recommend that you choose APFS if your destination device is an SSD and will be used to back up macOS, or if you are backing up a T2-based Mac and you intend to enable encryption on the backup. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if your destination device is a spinning-platter-based device (i.e. a hard disk drive, or HDD), or if you are backing up an operating system older than 10.13."
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I'm told I shouldn't bash Apple, but their lack of specific details and clarity and even diagrams or illustrations in their KB "help" articles drives me crazy.
    Here you go, Patrick. Even has pictures!

To get to that article, I went to apple.com, selected "Support" and typed in "Format" and the article was the first on the list.
    Jake

MacKeeper

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    Hi toMACsh, daft question here - I wonder how a chicken knows how big your eggcup is before it lays the egg???

From Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Of all the things I've wondered about in my life that's never been one of them.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacKeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Here you go, Patrick. Even has pictures!

To get to that article, I went to apple.com, selected "Support" and typed in "Format" and the article was the first on the list.

Thanks Jake, and rather interesting, but using exactly the same method you used I came up with absolutely zero results, in fact not even close that had anything to do with "Format".

Maybe because I ended up on the Apple Canada site???

But it was nice to see that they actually provided some nice illustrations in the link you provided. I wish they would do more, especially for the new users who have just started using Macs.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    Hi toMACsh, daft question here - I wonder how a chicken knows how big your eggcup is before it lays the egg???

Actually, with the attitude of most chickens, they don't really give a damn about the size of your egg cup. Their concern is that their egg could be as big as the old biddies eggs on either side of them, but a young hen's eggs will never be as large as the older hens eggs until she ages a bit. And I guess things have to grow and stretch a bit as well to get to that stage.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Patrick, that is puzzling. I went to apple.com, clicked on "Support" and then in the search box typed "format" and before I could even finish that, the article I linked showed up at the top of the list. I'll try the Canadian site later on today and see if that makes any difference. I cannot think of why that should be, or why Apple would have two different support documents for the same topic in the (relatively) same language.
    Jake

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Patrick, that is puzzling. I went to apple.com, clicked on "Support" and then in the search box typed "format" and before I could even finish that, the article I linked showed up at the top of the list. I'll try the Canadian site later on today and see if that makes any difference. I cannot think of why that should be, or why Apple would have two different support documents for the same topic in the (relatively) same language.
    That worked for me also. And in visiting the site apple.com/ca/ (the Canadian one), typing "format" in the search box does bring up that link. Actually, it brings up two links:

Apple - Support - Search

Apple - Support - Search

The first does contain more links for documents relating to Erasing and Formatting disks, while the second one has links related to iTunes.

MacKeeper
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I'm being completely neutral here; but I may have an explanation for the differences experienced by Jake & Patrick.

On the UK site, when I type "format" in the search box and hit return, then I get Patrick's result with over 2000 suggestions that, superficially, have only a tangential relationship to "format".

But if I type" format" and wait a second, Apple's suggested option is "Format & Partition Disk". Click on that and the top option is exactly what Jake got.

So you are both right and we still have a happy family

Ian
    Ian

MacKeeper
    Patrick, that is puzzling.
    I agree, and actually i'm quite suprised in the differences.

This is what I get using your link and method:

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 2.58.13 PM.png

Sure NOT what I would expect for decent search results!!!

'- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Patrick,

If you repeat what you did; when you enter the final "t" of "format", does it not come up underneath the Search box with a suggestion - "Format and Partition Disk"? Clicking on that takes you to a list at the top of which is Jake's article.

Ian
    Ian

MacKeeper
    @honestone33
    Actually, it brings up two links:
    Try restricting your search to using the single word "Format" in yoour search box as Jake was suggesting.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information