Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MacKeeper

MacKeeper
    Funny, I have not seen MacKeeper ads for quite a while. Are they making a come back?

Funny that you would mention that and I was thinking the same thing just the other day, then lo and behold, up popped several ads for MacKeeper and that was when browsing with my AdBloker enabled.

So they are still alive and well and no doubt sucking in all kinds of money from all the unsuspecting users.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    @Randy Interesting idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me before now. Time to go into the thinking corner and puzzle over things for a bit.

And with such a project comes a free large ten gallon or larger hat!!! ;-)

And maybe a few other befefits to keep some of you Mods and Admins encouraged.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've been trying to find out how many hats I need to trade in to get one of those shiny new Mac Pro models (with/without the snazzy monitor). For some strange reason, the rest of the team has been strangely silent on this issue. Could that mean they are planning a birthday surprise?
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacKeeper
    I've been trying to find out how many hats I need to trade in to get one of those shiny new Mac Pro models (with/without the snazzy monitor).
    They are probably trying to figure out what the price difference would be and I was looking at the new Mac Pro webpage at Apple's site today and all it says is "Mac Pro Coming This Fall". So just be a bit more patient I guess.

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Ditto 10 out of 10 for asking. I agree with the above comments 100%. As a forum we have spent hundreds of hours trying to help people remove MacKeeper and the problems it has caused.

This is what I rather gratifying find if I do a search for "What is MacKeeper?"

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 12.08.39 pm.png
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

MacKeeper
    Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Funny that you would mention that and I was thinking the same thing just the other day, then lo and behold, up popped several ads for MacKeeper and that was when browsing with my AdBloker enabled.

So they are still alive and well and no doubt sucking in all kinds of money from all the unsuspecting users.

- Patrick
    ======
    Hmm, so far the ad blockers I use with Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera seem to work well, and have not seen any MacKeeper ads (along with other ads I do not need to see).
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

MacKeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    @Randy Interesting idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me before now. Time to go into the thinking corner and puzzle over things for a bit.
    Here is how it could be done:

- We could all contribute to a list of questions that come up all the time (that would be dead easy, I've already listed a bunch of them).

- We could solicit volunteers to each take a question and look up past answers here, and maybe elsewhere, and write up a definitive answer.

- The answers could be posted and opened for review by others.

- The suggestions made by others could be integrated into the answer. (Points of contention could be presented as such.)

- The FAQ answer could be posted in a FAQ section and locked.

(Of course, some answers might be too long, or too difficult, to be appropriate for a FAQ section. That's sort of the point of the Web sites I've created for Mac users.)

Having a Macintosh FAQ page on the Web could be a nice draw to this discussion site. In fact, it could make this the go-to site for Macintosh users looking for a quick answer to a general problem.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Good suggestions. As I read them it occurred to me that there are multiple opportunities in the process for site admins/mods to check the content of such threads. Not to rule with an iron fist so to speak but to make sure that the FAQs accurately represent the general consensus of the best current info.
    Kevin Durant

MacKeeper
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I like it. I would be willing to contribute in any way I can to an FAQ's column.
    There is a question which comes up quite a bit lately related to not having a bootable source. It's a kind of "Catch 22" situation where you need to be able to boot in order to fix an issue that is preventing you from booting.
    Easily solved if you have a bootable clone or a USB thumb drive macOS installer but commonly this is not the case.
    Time Machine offers an option that not many OP's seem to be aware of; it has a backup of the Recovery Partition. You can boot from that and use it to access Disk Utility. So even the bog standard TM backup could save your *** in the case of a system failure. This fact and the steps involve could be valuable info for an FAQ.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

MacKeeper
    Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I like it. I would be willing to contribute in any way I can to an FAQ's column.
    There is a question which comes up quite a bit lately related to not having a bootable source. It's a kind of "Catch 22" situation where you need to be able to boot in order to fix an issue that is preventing you from booting.
    Easily solved if you have a bootable clone or a USB thumb drive macOS installer but commonly this is not the case.
    Time Machine offers an option that not many OP's seem to be aware of; it has a backup of the Recovery Partition. You can boot from that and use it to access Disk Utility. So even the bog standard TM backup could save your *** in the case of a system failure. This fact and the steps involve could be valuable info for an FAQ.
    I also like it. Excellent idea.

As for backups, it is typically a case of either using the free program Time Machine, or using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. I actually read with interest the way one can create a clone via Disk Utility. In fact, I never knew about that.

For me, though, it has always been the ease which I have when I need to either do a Recovery from my backup, or using the backup to facilitate the clean, fresh installation of either a new version of the Mac OS, or even a version "within" the current Mac OS.

As always, there are Pros and Cons to this discussion, and as the old saying goes, "To each his own".
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

MacKeeper
    If you have a recent Macintosh, you can simply start up from Recovery Over The Internet:
    About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Ever since OS X 10.7.2, Time Machine backups are bootable. They won't boot into the version of the OS that you were running, and you can't log in to your account, but they will boot into the equivalent of your Recovery Partition. From there, you can reformat disks and do a full restore.

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    As for backups, it is typically a case of either using the free program Time Machine, or using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. I actually read with interest the way one can create a clone via Disk Utility. In fact, I never knew about that.
    There is the ability to create a clone backup built right into the Mac OS. But it is quite a bit slower than using CCC or SD. Another huge disadvantage to it is that there in no ability to do a smart update. If your data on your main hard drive changes, you have to do a complete new clone backup from scratch if you want to add your new data to your backup. However, the ability to create a clone backup built into the Mac OS has the huge advantage of being free. Here is how you do it:

- Plug the backup HD into the computer.
    - Launch Disk Utility.
    - Select the HD you want to copy in the column to the left.
    - Click on the Restore tab.
    - That HD you just selected should appear after Source:
    - From the window on the left, drag the icon of the HD to which you want the Source HD copied.
    - You should see a note with something to this effect: Erase the Destination HD and copy the contents of the Source HD to it?
    - Click on the Restore button and that’s it.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    If you have a recent Macintosh, you can simply start up from Recovery Over The Internet:
    About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Ever since OS X 10.7.2, Time Machine backups are bootable. They won't boot into the version of the OS that you were running, and you can't log in to your account, but they will boot into the equivalent of your Recovery Partition. From there, you can reformat disks and do a full restore.

I didn't become aware that Time Machine backups were bootable until some time after that feature was added. It's a welcome addition to that utility. I always forget the limitation that it doesn't log into your account /or contain the OS you' were running. I use it primarily for backups and clone with CCC because of that. The option to do an incremental "smart" clone with CCC is a bonus.
    Kevin Durant

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    There is the ability to create a clone backup built right into the Mac OS. But it is quite a bit slower than using CCC or SD. Another huge disadvantage to it is that there in no ability to do a smart update. If your data on your main hard drive changes, you have to do a complete new clone backup from scratch if you want to add your new data to your backup. However, the ability to create a clone backup built into the Mac OS has the huge advantage of being free. Here is how you do it:

- Plug the backup HD into the computer.
    - Launch Disk Utility.
    - Select the HD you want to copy in the column to the left.
    - Click on the Restore tab.
    - That HD you just selected should appear after Source:
    - From the window on the left, drag the icon of the HD to which you want the Source HD copied.
    - You should see a note with something to this effect: Erase the Destination HD and copy the contents of the Source HD to it?
    - Click on the Restore button and that’s it.
    Do you know if it still works with APFS? I tried that with my Mac Mini, and I couldn’t get it to work. I thought it was because my internal was an SSD and the external was an HDD?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

MacKeeper
    I couldn’t get it to work. I thought it was because my internal was an SSD and the external was an HDD?
    Have a read here and see if it could be due to the formatting that was used on the boot Drive:
    Which format: APFS or Mac OS Extended
    How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

- Patrick
    ======

MacKeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Thanks Patrick, I've read that before, but it doesn't specifically tell me how format an external drive to make a bootable backup. That's where I'm stuck.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information