Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What do we know about PDF Security Expert and Advanced Mac Cleaner ?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I was under the impression that ClamAV did this pretty well but ended up with ClamXav (my bad). Of course I should never underestimate the macOS, it's possible that it or my email client is filtering out this stuff automatically. If it is it's never notified me of the fact.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I was under the impression that ClamAV did this pretty well but ended up with ClamXav (my bad)
    Wait a minute.....
    There is ClamAV and ClamXav?

I just googled them and sure enough there are two...what is the difference?
    ClamAV seems to be available for the Mac as well - I previously only heard of ClamXav for the Mac.

I was going to run ClamXav on my Mac tonight to see what I get - should I run ClamAV instead? Or possibly both?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Yes there are two. ClamAV takes quite a bit to manually (ClamavNet) setup apparently and ClamXav is a standalone installer (ClamXAV | Effective, trusted anti-virus and malware scanner for macOS.).
    I gave up on ClamAV when I couldn't find an app to open the READ ME file which is one of about 20 files in the folder which downloads from the site listed above. I just didn't have the patience at the time.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I just ram ClamXav on the 2012 Mini running ElCapitan.

Turns out ClamXav found two trojans, proron and shlauer-2 and also Spigot adware adware

Interesting when I ran both malwarebytes and Detect X Swift, they reported the Mac was "clean" - I also ran the quick scan of ClamXav which didn't pick up anything either.
    The normal scan using ClamXad took an awful lung time, about 8 hours or so - I ended up running it over night.

Question now is should I change all my passwords?
    These trojans were, according to ClamXav, downloaded with applications like Elmedia Player years ago.
    I'm just trying to check how long ago and it seems ClamXav trashed the applications when I selected "Trash Item"
    I actually expected "Trash Item" to only trash the actual trojan but the whole app is gone.
    Probably just as well since I never use these apps anyway.

Yes there are two. ClamAV takes quite a bit to manually (ClamavNet) setup apparently and ClamXav is a standalone installer (ClamXAV | Effective, trusted anti-virus and malware scanner for macOS.).

Wasn't the old ClamAV a PPC application and was somehow tied in with Eudora and some email servers way back when???

I thought it became ClamXav with some later early OS X versions and using Intel code.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I remember using ClamXav with earlier versions (PPC) of Mac OS X. I don't remember using it within the last 5 -7 years though. I don't think I've used it on any of the intel Macs I've had, or maybe since Mac OS X Lion has been out?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Wasn't the old ClamAV a PPC application and was somehow tied in with Eudora and some email servers way back when???

I thought it became ClamXav with some later early OS X versions and using Intel code.
    ClamAV is, and always was, an open source (and free) project, based on UNIX, to detect malware. It is both a program and an associated database of malware and definitions to detect that malware. ClamAV can be built to run on different platforms, including the Macintosh, though few ordinary users are going to go through the trouble of figuring out what they need and putting it together to do so.
    ClamavNet

ClamXav was first a free product, now a commercial product, that was originally built using ClamAV as its underpinnings. I have heard that ClamXav is no longer based on ClamAV, but I don't know more than that.
    ClamXAV | Effective, trusted anti-virus and malware scanner for macOS
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information