Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I think I've been hit with malware.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. High Sierra. 8GB Ram
    Blog Entries
    I tell people to disable or remove flash, Java, and Silverlight on their Macs and PCs. All three are used to hack computers and web browsers. The bad guys cant hack them if their not installed.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    I deleted all mackeeper files that I could find and restarted the computer. It didn't make any difference. Thanks for your suggestion, but we're off to the Apple shop tomorrow to get this and the slow iMac sorted out. It's only money.
    Pete, I'm interested in what they tell you. My son's Mini is slow also. He deleted some music and videos, and now has 20% free space, which I thought would help. It didn't.

I use a late 2012 Mini with an i5 processor.
    At one point I was down to 10% free space (50GB on a 500GB drive) but the Mini was as fast as ever.
    Moved 60GB to an external so now I'm at 110GB free - I don't notice any difference in speed - still very fast.
    Often so fast that the sceen changed to where I wanted to go without me even immediately noticing it.
    But a few years back when RAM was cheap I upgraded to 16GB.

What exactly is slow?
    I find Microsoft applications often take long to open and I get the spinning beach ball, even after the file is up and all I do is save it.
    Webspeed access depends a lot on the browser you use.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    I tell people to disable or remove flash, Java, and Silverlight on their Macs and PCs. All three are used to hack computers and web browsers. The bad guys cant hack them if their not installed.
    Yep, never had silverlight and no longer have flash or java. If I do put flash back on it'll only be from the Adobe website and custom install.
    Pete.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Pete, I'm interested in what they tell you. My son's Mini is slow also. He deleted some music and videos, and now has 20% free space, which I thought would help. It didn't.
    With the macbook air, it wasn't slow but had malware that Malwarebytes took care of. I'd run it before going to the Apple shop but didn't realise I'd got rid of it, the techy said they use the same programme to get rid of rubbish, so that was good. He just put my google search engine back on, which is something I could have done if I'd realised the malware was gone.

The iMac was the slow runner and it turned out that the 8Gb of memory was all being used. He knocked several things off the start up menu. Which helped. He also said that because the screen etc is all glued together that even if parts could be got, it probably wouldn't be worth doing from a financial point of view. In the USA, I think that it's probably possible, but here in Oz, Apple's not so big and there aren't a lot of places that know much about them. I've got miles of free space on the hard drive, so not an issue.
    Pete.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I use a late 2012 Mini with an i5 processor.
    At one point I was down to 10% free space (50GB on a 500GB drive) but the Mini was as fast as ever.
    Moved 60GB to an external so now I'm at 110GB free - I don't notice any difference in speed - still very fast.
    Often so fast that the sceen changed to where I wanted to go without me even immediately noticing it.
    But a few years back when RAM was cheap I upgraded to 16GB.

What exactly is slow?
    I find Microsoft applications often take long to open and I get the spinning beach ball, even after the file is up and all I do is save it.
    Webspeed access depends a lot on the browser you use.
    Had that myself more than once.
    Pete.

The iMac was the slow runner and it turned out that the 8Gb of memory was all being used.

As you probably know by now, keep on eye on memory use with Activity Monitor.app running, and maybe get in the habit of quitting any apps that you are not using.

8GB Of RAM (Memory) is usually enough for most normal people's computer usage, and Sierra seems to handle memory a lot better than some earlier OS versions.

In the USA, I think that it's probably possible, but here in Oz, Apple's not so big and there aren't a lot of places that know much about them. I've got miles of free space on the hard drive, so not an issue.
    Nope, not even in the 'goog ol' USofA!!! As everymac.com says for your 21" model:
    Apple does not intend for one to upgrade the RAM after purchase, and doing so is difficult, it is possible.
    iMac "Core i5" 2.7 21.5-Inch (Late 2012) Specs (Late 2012, MD093LL/A, iMac13,1, A1418, 2544): EveryMac.com

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I'll keep an eye on the memory in Activity Monitor on the iMac. Thanks for the extra info' on the memory. If I'd realised this before buying it, I'd have probably gone for the 27-1/2 inch.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    The iMac was the slow runner and it turned out that the 8Gb of memory was all being used.
    That's very interesting.
    I installed 16GB of RAM on my 2012 Mini simply because it was not that much more than 8GB at the time and when I checked the amount used with Snow Leopard, it was always well below 8GB.
    I remember that clearly because I kept thinking I could have saved a bit of money if I had only installed 8GB (I think the Mini came with 4GB originally)
    But checking just now with El Capitan, I actually use 12.07GB of RAM, so in retrospect, getting 16GB was not the wrong move and probably explains why the Mini is more than fast enough for my purposes.

But what I find interesting and it bothers me somewhat, is that Apple still shipped some new 2017 Macs with only 8GB of RAM maximum with no way of upgrading it later.
    The 2018 MacBook air can at least be upgraded to 16GB of RAM, but that's another $200.- on top of an already hefty price tag for that machine.
    The only saving grace I think of is the SSD which allows swapping memory much faster than with a conventional rotary hard drive so the machine does not slow down as much because of memory swaps.

Your Mac's Specs
    Now that the iMac's running better than it was, it has to be a case of, 'it is what it is.' If I ever find myself in a position to buy another iMac, I'll do more homework.
    Pete.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The real keys to memory are two: the pressure and swap. Pressure is shown on the graphic in Activity Monitor, and as long as it is green, the system is not having to work hard to manage memory. Swap should be, as best you can, nearly zero. Swap is the stuff that the OS had to move OUT of memory onto the drive to make room. More swap is higher overhead and slower performance. So, even with 8GB, as long as pressure is green and swap is low, you are in good condition.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks, I have to go out now but I'll have a check later.
    Pete.

Thread Information