Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I came across this article - quite recent and it goes into a lot of details about specific pieces of malware for the Mac with plenty of links.
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/m...-list-3668354/

Best Anti Virus software for Mac
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    OK, just did an experiment with VirusBarrier, the free version.

Got it from the Mac App Store.

Ran it. The CPU in my mid-2015, MBPr with a 1Tb SSD, running Mojave took off, running over 600% CPU utilization for just VirusBarrier. The fans then took off, running over 6000rpm and the cpu temps shot up to over 200F and hovered there. Ran for over an hour to completion. Found nothing, as I expected.

I won't be running it again. Those kinds of temps are not good for the CPU or the adjacent components. Probably shortened the life of my MBP doing the test.

My vote? Give it a pass, along with all the other A/V software for Macs.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch iMac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS Mojave, 10.14.4
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    OK, just did an experiment with VirusBarrier, the free version.

Got it from the Mac App Store.

Ran it. The CPU in my mid-2015, MBPr with a 1Tb SSD, running Mojave took off, running over 600% CPU utilization for just VirusBarrier. The fans then took off, running over 6000rpm and the cpu temps shot up to over 200F and hovered there. Ran for over an hour to completion. Found nothing, as I expected.

I won't be running it again. Those kinds of temps are not good for the CPU or the adjacent components. Probably shortened the life of my MBP doing the test
    WoW! Those are really high readings. Thanks for the post. It looks like I won't be trying VirusBarrier.
    Dave
    iMac Clone and Backup with SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud
    AdGuard, Malwarebytes Beta Browser Extensions

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTruckDriver View Post
    WoW! Those are really high readings. Thanks for the post. It looks like I won't be trying VirusBarrier.
    Hello - please go back to my post #6 on the first page of this thread for more details on running VirusBarrier - my experience was similar to Jake - I wrote the developer who did respond - see post #25 - and seemed not that concerned, but looking at my temps going into the 160+F range and the fans speeding up to 3-4X their usual rates was less than comforting - ran the app on 2 laptops & my iMac (less effect on the desktop computer) and not sure I want to use it again? Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch iMac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS Mojave, 10.14.4
    Hi Dave,

I seen your readings in post #6 but I believe I overlooked post #25. If the developer see's nothing wrong with your readings and the temps and fan speeds are so great, I believe the developer can keep his VirusBarrier. I'm not going to try it. I spent too much $$$ for the computer to get those readings running a software. Thanks Dave for the readings.
    Dave
    iMac Clone and Backup with SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud
    AdGuard, Malwarebytes Beta Browser Extensions

Ran it. The CPU in my mid-2015, MBPr with a 1Tb SSD, running Mojave took off, running over 600% CPU utilization for just VirusBarrier. The fans then took off, running over 6000rpm and the cpu temps shot up to over 200F and hovered there. Ran for over an hour to completion.

Thanks for the heads-up, and those from other members, that's just pushing things too much to even try it on my iMac AFAIC.

- Patrick
    ======

OK, just did an experiment with VirusBarrier, the free version....

Ran it. The CPU in my mid-2015, MBPr with a 1Tb SSD, running Mojave took off, running over 600% CPU utilization for just VirusBarrier. The fans then took off, running over 6000rpm and the cpu temps shot up to over 200F and hovered there. Ran for over an hour to completion.

Those kinds of temps are not good for the CPU or the adjacent components.
    Of course, you don't have to run a scan of your entire disk. You can run a short scan, on one particular area of your disk at a time, and thus never let temperatures rise that high.

Found nothing, as I expected.
    Of course you didn't find anything. What would you expect to find? As I said when I originally recommended VirusBarrier here (in another thread, I think), there are really only two reasons to run VirusBarrier. One is if you are paranoid and you insist that you have a virus. In that case VirusBarrier will show you that you don't.

The other is when you have downloaded something and you don't know if it's safe. In that case you can use VirusBarrier to scan just that one thing. It's quite handy for the latter, actually. And in the latter case it will only take a few seconds to scan whatever it is you are unsure about.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Randy, I wasn't attacking your opinions of the software, just posting my results from a test. Yes, you can run a shorter scan, but if you think you are infected, you would normally run a test of everything.

And your snarky comment about not finding anything was unappreciated. Sarcasm is never appropriate.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    Jake I don't think Randy was being 'snarky'. Explaining as there are no Mac OS X viruses, there are no virus 'definitions' to download. Some folks don't understand when they download these 'definitions' they are all for Windows viruses which cannot execute on the Unix based OS X operating systems.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Without giving myself too much credit I have managed to avoid most malware over the years by excercising my suspicious nature of any unprecedented requests for information from me. Plus the judicious use of a benchmark quality VPN. Still it does get a little disheartening when despite regular running of Malwarebytes I inevitably get no findings. But it has not always been the case. It was a while back but I did get a hit on a "thing" called Spigot. There were 3 elements of this malware, in different locations and only one had the word Spigot as part of its file name. I left them in a quarentined state for a while then deleted them about a week later.

Sent from my iPhone
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    So I don't think we should complain if Malwarebytes doesn't find anything, on the contrary. CAN it find anything? That's the question. Well personally until I can find a reason to doubt it I'll continue to use it.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Jake I don't think Randy was being 'snarky'. Explaining as there are no Mac OS X viruses, there are no virus 'definitions' to download. Some folks don't understand when they download these 'definitions' they are all for Windows viruses which cannot execute on the Unix based OS X operating systems.
    What makes you think there are no viruses for the Mac?
    There are not a lot, but the number is certainly not zero

Here is another nice summary of know malware
    https://macpaw.com/how-to/known-mac-...security-flaws

Any try CleanMyMacX which is what is recommended by this author.

And your snarky comment about not finding anything was unappreciated. Sarcasm is never appropriate.

I wasn't being "snarky" OR sarcastic. I was emphatically agreeing with you. In the overwhelming number of cases, there is nothing to find. There just isn't much Mac malware in the wild, and what there is tends to have been already patched against in the Mac OS.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, Thanks, Randy. It's hard to communicate inflection in type.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes krs, I say this very quietly, I do use CMMX. I have been using Clean My Mac since it's introduction years ago, despite advice to the contrary by several members of this forum. This was valid and well intentioned advice against any software caperble of altering system files and as such it is good advice. I do not promote it because it is a powerful tool with the potential to do irreversible harm but I could argue that OnyX is just as dangerous. If you do use it ensure you have a bootable clone first and don't fiddle with default settings unless you have read the full description of what each does. Like removing email attachments.

Sent from my iPhone

Thread Information