Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Best Anti Virus software for Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    If, like most Mac users, you do absolutely nothing to ward off malware, you should be perfectly fine. That's one of the big reasons we all use Macs!
    I should be more clear. I was referring to the need for anti-virus software here. I wasn't saying that you need do absolutely nothing. Ian was very much correct in his post above that you need to be careful by following some simple rules:

- Don't open any e-mail attachments unless you are 100% sure who they are from and what they are. If you didn't expect an e-mail attachment, don't open it and don't forward it to anyone.

- If there is a link in an e-mail you have received, don't click on it unless you are sure who the e-mail is from and what the link is to. You can hover your cursor over an e-mail address in some e-mail programs (such as Mail) and the true address that you are going to be sent to will pop up. If that address is different than the address you hovered over DON'T click on it.

- Don't accept any offered downloads from any Web site that you didn't ask for. ESPECIALLY don't accept "video drivers" or Flash updates.

- DO keep Flash meticulously updated. However, you should ONLY ever update Flash via the System Preferences Flash preference pane, or directly from Adobe:
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

- Never be fooled by a Web site or pop-up that asks you to call for help (including Apple) or which asks you to pay a ransom. These are scams. Ignore them.

- If you have Microsoft Office installed, make sure that Macro Virus Protection is enabled.
    https://kb.iu.edu/d/agzk

- Don't download pirated (illegal) versions of commercial applications from file sharing networks. This is a favorite way for sociopaths to distribute malware.

There may be others that I have missed. Hopefully others will add to this list as necessary.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Great thank you - I can confirm I'm living by all of them already so that's good

I still think I'll get Detect X just for good practice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Plexberry View Post
    HI everyone - thanks so much for the detailed and helpful feedback.

Firstly, while I've used Mac's for about 10 years solid now (with no AV installed), I'm a professional filmmaker/editor and so use the macs for this reason.

I've had cause for two reasons to look into virus/malware protection more:

1) My QNAP Nas was playing up, I discovered if had Malware on it. I don't know how it got on there (i'm a very careful user, good at not falling for bad emails and I don't need to download dodgy apps and so therefore I don't) but it was there and causing issues. It's not gone thanks to QNAPS own Malware remover for their NAS drives.
    That had me worried and made me look into this.
    A NAS isn't just a dumb hard drive connected to your Macintosh and controlled by your Macintosh. A NAS is sort of a computer itself, that is connected to your Macintosh via a network connection. A NAS has its own processor (brain) and its ***own operating system*** that isn't the macOS.

The point is that if your NAS was infected with malware that was causing it to run poorly, it wasn't Macintosh malware. Your NAS can't run Macintosh malware, or Macintosh software of any kind. In addition, Macintosh anti-virus software won't be looking for malware that might be specific to your NAS, and so...having Macintosh anti-virus software won't protect your NAS from malware AT ALL.

Frankly, the problem you had with your NAS isn't a Macintosh problem. It's a problem with that brand of NAS.

What you need to do is contact the developer of your NAS and ask them what the vector was for the malware that infected your NAS, and how to prevent it from becoming infected in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Plexberry View Post
    2) Over the lasts year or so I keep hearing conversations about how 'because Mac's don't need to worry about Viruses, it's become the virus makers mission to affect/infect Macs more'. Now this might be a load of rubbish, it actually makes sense to me, but as I'm not technical at all I have no idea if that's possible.
    Since the release of Mac OS X (now macOS), folks (mostly non-Mac users) have been saying all sorts of stupid things about viruses and the Mac. Mostly they've been saying that there will be a flood of viruses for the Macintosh "real soon now." They've been saying that for 18 YEARS now. (An eternity in the field of personal computer evolution.) Daring Fireball even once wrote an article making fun of the folks saying that year after year (and that article is a full 15 years old now!):

Broken Windows
    http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/broken_windows

So Witty (followup to Broken Windows)
    http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/so_witty

Check out:
    Is Windows inherently more vulnerable to malware attacks than OS X?
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...dows_inhe.html

The Macintosh OS looks a lot like Windows, so lay people think that the two are the same under the skin and that the Mac is as susceptible to malware as Windows is. It's not. The Mac OS was written with an entirely different underlying security philosophy than Windows was. The Mac isn't invulnerable, but it's much harder (and more expensive) to write malware for. The reason that there is drastically less malware for the Mac than for Windows has nothing to do with how much the sociopaths who write malware WANT to write malware for the Mac, nor does it have anything to do with how many Macs are in use (the now outdated rationalization that there will be lots of malware for the Mac when the Mac is a bigger target.) It has everything to do with how hard it is to write malware for the Mac and whether it is worth the bad guy's time and monetary investment to do it.

There ARE malware threats that have been written for the Mac. A handful every year. The pace has been fairly consistent since the introduction of OS X. Apple has been pretty good about patching the Mac to new threats (that's why you get pushed constant security updates), so sociopaths who write malware usually don't get much gratification from their creations. Some pundits have, over the years, predicted an upswing in the amount of malware for the Mac, but the flow has rarely increased by much, and it usually settles down quickly even when the pace does increase.

As Douglas Adams said in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy..."Don't Panic!"

I think that everything will be fine, and that we don't all need to run out and purchase anti-virus software. I've been giving the same advice for close to 18 years.
    Randy B. Singer

Check out:
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...dows_inhe.html
    Sorry, here's an updated link:

https://www.infoworld.com/article/26...han-os-x-.html
    Randy B. Singer

Hi Randy, that's a really interesting and helpful post. Thank you - it doesn't just help me now but I've actually learnt something rather interesting!

Thank you so much

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    However, I think that folks are mistaken in their recommendation of MalwareBytes. I'm extremely leary of MalwareBytes since they came out with the nagware/commercial version. Download EasyFind and do a search for "MalwareBytes" on your Mac if you have MalwareBytes installed. You will find as many as 24 files (the number, oddly, varies for each user) for MalwareBytes installed all over your system. What do you think that they are all doing? (Hint, MalwareBytes is making money off of you even if you only have the free version.)

I now recommend this instead of MalwareBytes for dealing with adware:

DetectX (free/$10 requested)
    https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Also, while Malwarebytes is a very effective product for dealing with adware (having subsumed the excellent anti-adware product Adware Medic), contrary to what it says on their Web site, it looks for very little actual malware at all and is inadequate for that task.

Don't believe me? Run MalwareBytes. How long does it take to do a scan? About 10 to 15 seconds?.........
    Hi Randy - thanks for ALL of the information from your extensive experience! Your comments about Malwarebytes piqued my interest - the 'short' running scan always bothered me as to the completeness of this app which may not be of much value. As to the number of files placed on the drive - I get < 10 using EasyFind and exactly 10 using AppCleaner (first pic below).

As to DetectX, there are two versions offered from your link, i.e. DetectX & DetectX Swift (2nd pic) - the latter seems to be the DL needed for newer macOS versions - comments please from those using this software?

Finally, no one has responded to my posts concerning VirusBarrier - for those using the app, are you observing the same temp, CPU, and fan speed changes that I described - assume these are not dangerous but are rather striking - I would have expected that a malware app could be written that does not hog so much of the computer's resources? Thanks - Dave :
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.29.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.25.28 AM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    As to DetectX, there are two versions offered from your link, i.e. DetectX & DetectX Swift (2nd pic) - the latter seems to be the DL needed for newer macOS versions - comments please from those using this software?
    Use the version DetectX that is for your version of the Mac OS.

Finally, no one has responded to my posts concerning VirusBarrier - for those using the app, are you observing the same temp, CPU, and fan speed changes that I described - assume these are not dangerous but are rather striking - I would have expected that a malware app could be written that does not hog so much of the computer's resources? Thanks - Dave :
    You only need to do a full disk scan ONCE. From then on you only need to scan new downloads, e-mails or additions.

ANY product that causes continuous and intense disk access is going to cause elevated temperatures. In fact, when I do clone backups using SuperDuper the product monitors temperatures and expects things to get hot, and will pause, as necessary, to let things cool down.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    I have used VirusBarrier on both my 2010 Mac Pro and 2017 MB Pro. I have not experienced anything like what you are seeing. It took a couple of minutes to run on my MB Pro which has about 140GB on the SSD. The fans did not ramp up, the CPU was at 288% but for a very short time. Temps did not rise much at all before it was done. As for my Mac Pro - I will check it out tomorrow as I really did not notice any issues. I am not sure why your system had that drastic reaction.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    Use the version DetectX that is for your version of the Mac OS.

You only need to do a full disk scan ONCE. From then on you only need to scan new downloads, e-mails or additions.

ANY product that causes continuous and intense disk access is going to cause elevated temperatures. In fact, when I do clone backups using SuperDuper the product monitors temperatures and expects things to get hot, and will pause, as necessary, to let things cool down.
    Thanks Randy - will do - the access on the drive was fast so not surprised at the elevated temps - will not be concerned. Dave :

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    I have used VirusBarrier on both my 2010 Mac Pro and 2017 MB Pro. I have not experienced anything like what you are seeing. It took a couple of minutes to run on my MB Pro which has about 140GB on the SSD. The fans did not ramp up, the CPU was at 288% but for a very short time. Temps did not rise much at all before it was done. As for my Mac Pro - I will check it out tomorrow as I really did not notice any issues. I am not sure why your system had that drastic reaction.........
    Hi Lisa - well, hard to explain our discrepant experiences - maybe when I do a second scan, the findings might be different? I've exchanged several emails w/ Chris of Intego Support and also sent him the same screencaptures in my post - quoted below is is last response to me - seems like the findings I reported are not surprising - in the near future, I'll repeat the scans just to see if there are differences? Dave

Chris (Intego Support)
    Feb 11, 17:38 CST

Hello David,

Thank you for your screenshots.

Everything in your screenshots appeared to be normal. We did not see anything to be concerned about.

You can open the VirusBarrier Scanner About menu on the menu bar to trigger a check for malware definition updates.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Chris
    Intego Support Team

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I think I'll just get DetectX for now
    Good choice. I decided to remove Malwarebytes after reading what Randy wrote and instead installed DetectX. I opted for their Swift version which is $10.00.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Good choice. I decided to remove Malwarebytes after reading what Randy wrote and instead installed DetectX. I opted for their Swift version which is $10.00.
    Just to clear up the confusion, here is what they say about pricing on their Web site:

"What does it cost?

"For home use? Nothing if you prefer! DetectX and DetectX Swift are shareware, which means you can go on using them without sharing a cent!

"That said, we can only continue development if enough people do share, so there is an optional $10 Home registration key for each product available through the app interface..."
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    From their website, the pic below indicates that DetectX is compatible only up to macOS 10.10; therefore for us w/ newer macOS versions (such as Mojave on my 3 Macs), DetectX Swift is the only choice - is that the understanding of others? Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.50.24 PM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    I like to support developers of shareware which is why I opted to pay the $10.00. Also, the Swift version in addition to scanning for malware, shows some other items: History of changes and machine profile that includes: File System, temperature - thermal state, spotlight status - indexing, filevault status - on or off, Gatekeeper status, SIP - on or off.

Well worth the $10.

Your Mac's Specs
    From their website, the pic below indicates that DetectX is compatible only up to macOS 10.10; therefore for us w/ newer macOS versions (such as Mojave on my 3 Macs), DetectX Swift is the only choice - is that the understanding of others?
    That is my understanding also although at first I didn't notice it. But it didn't matter since I wanted the Swift version.

Thread Information