Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can he hack my mac from a forum?
    Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire England
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD
    Ta again folks. As a complete thicky !! How easy/difficult is it to set up a VPN? As I have said numerous times, if I can hit it then I can normally fix it, but software of most kinds just confuses me to hell!

Just looking at the WIFI around me I can see 3 other sources all with a good signal.
    John.
    Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
    http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
    MBP and iMac on High Sierra.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    it's pretty easy. I have two, actually, and both are just point and click to connect. NordVPN is the newest one I've added, as it is higher speed and gets good reviews. I paid for the service as I have read some horrific reviews of the so-called "free" VPNs. It seems to be working really well, but I want to travel a bit more with it before I drop the second VPN I had in place before trying NordVPN. The second VPN is Tunnel Bear, which is the simpler one, again click and connect, but it also can be set for "automatic" connections any time I am NOT in my home network so I don't have to remember to use it. I'll probably drop TunnelBear in a few months after I've gotten more experience with NordVPN. You don't really need two.

To make it work, you sign up for the service (you can do monthly if you just want to experiment, but it's cheaper if you sign up for a longer term), install the software, click the country to which you want to connect and it's done. You do have some indications that it is connected on the top bar, so you know what the status is. TunnelBear can be configured to connect automatically if not in the home (trusted) network, which is handy. NordVPN doesn't have that feature that I can find, so I have to remember to use it when moving about, particularly on my iDevices.

https://nordvpn.com/?utm_expid=.flvu...&utm_referrer=
    https://www.tunnelbear.com
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @John

The hardest part about setting up a VPN, is choosing the one you want.

My "rules" are:

Avoid free VPNs
    Google the "Best VPNs for Mac" and you will see that the top 5 or 6 appear again and again.
    Choose your VPN, making sure that it is available for both iOS and macOS - nearly always as a bundle, ie the two are included in the price.

Payment is usually monthly or yearly (I choose the latter).

I don't think that there is a great difference in any of the constantly rated top 5 or 6 for the ordinary user.

But some folks are interested, or concerned, in which country or jurisdiction the VPN is registered. They might be worried that their browsing history might be forcibly disclosed by legal enforcement of the Government.

I use two VPNs. Private Internet Access (PIA) which I purchased as a two-year deal from our Forums under the previous owners. This is a USA registered product.

I also use ExpressVPN. This is registered in the British Virgin Islands where there are no privacy laws that can force the company to disclose any data.

After payment, download and installation is very straightforward. An icon is usually found in the top menu bar, from which you can Connect to - the fastest; a "Smart Location" determined by the VPN, or you can choose from a long list of countries and cities depending on your requirements.

The whole thing's a breeze really.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    it's pretty easy. I have two, actually, and both are just point and click to connect. NordVPN is the newest one I've added, as it is higher speed and gets good reviews. I paid for the service as I have read some horrific reviews of the so-called "free" VPNs. It seems to be working really well, but I want to travel a bit more with it before I drop the second VPN I had in place before trying NordVPN. The second VPN is Tunnel Bear, which is the simpler one, again click and connect, but it also can be set for "automatic" connections any time I am NOT in my home network so I don't have to remember to use it. I'll probably drop TunnelBear in a few months after I've gotten more experience with NordVPN. You don't really need two.

To make it work, you sign up for the service (you can do monthly if you just want to experiment, but it's cheaper if you sign up for a longer term), install the software, click the country to which you want to connect and it's done. You do have some indications that it is connected on the top bar, so you know what the status is. TunnelBear can be configured to connect automatically if not in the home (trusted) network, which is handy. NordVPN doesn't have that feature that I can find, so I have to remember to use it when moving about, particularly on my iDevices.

https://nordvpn.com/?utm_expid=.flvu...&utm_referrer=
    https://www.tunnelbear.com
    I feel you. Was deciding between TB and NordVPN over half a year ago. I'm happy I went with NordVPN. Been using it daily and to be honest, I love it. Clean UI, good speed and most importantly I never had any problems while watching US Netflix content on the road. I'm recommending Nord to everyone who wants a VPN service that just does the job.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    +1 for ExpressVPN
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stedek97 View Post
    I'm on a forum and someone told me they're in the middle of hacking my computer. I have a mac.
    Is there even any way they could hack my computer based on the information forums provide? My IP isn't public (only admins can see it, which he is not)
    If so.. How can I prevent it?
    they can't unless you've bit some sort of trojan. also, make sure you don't fall victim to those phishing tactics. other than that, i don't see how someone can do that without brute force.

Thread Information