Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buying an engagement ring that looks like a diamond..
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    OK. So I am about to buy an engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend (she is the one by me in my avatar) of 5 years, but I don't want to blow a large wad of cash on a diamond. It is not that I am cheap ... I am a grad student, so I am poor. And she would kill me if she found out I spent a ton of money on her ring ... we have had conversations about this before. She has stated clearly to me that she would rather me save my money and use it on a down-payment for our first house.

So I have looked around for diamond simulants and have found plenty of scam artists, as expected (diamond nexus labs, etc.), and have found some decent alternatives. After much searching, I have come to realize, once again, "there is no such thing as a free lunch," but there are some pretty good simulants such as cubic zirconia and moissanite. I just don't know what to do about this whole situation (what type of stone to get, where to look, etc.)

What I would like to ask you all out there in Mac Forums world is for suggestions on what I should do/buy. It would be great if you could draw from personal experience. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

I figured I would post it here because you have been able to help me so much with my Mac, and I would like to see what type of advice I can get from you on jewelry...

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    The expectation for an engagement ring is that the stone will be a diamond. I think it is fine not to go the diamond route if that's something on which you both agree.

I think you both need to decide what you want for an engagement ring. Getting the wrong thing would be very easy without her input. There are some gorgeous gemstones available to you, but they're no good if she's unhappy with it. Regardless of what it is, she's going to keep it throughout the years. If you're going a bit untraditional, the manner in which you give it can also be a bit untraditional.

Propose to her, and work together to get her engagement ring. Will it be a gold band? Silver? Platinum? Titanium? Yes I know a couple who have titanium wedding bands; a titanium engagement setting could be excellent in the right situation. Solitaire setting, or multiple stones?

And what about the stone? You needn't go synthetic. You can go natural. Ruby, emerald, sapphire. Topaz, garnet, opal, even pearl. What kind of cut, faceted, or cabochon? Going away from a diamond opens your options greatly! Still, it must be something the both of you will see as special and meaningful.

Here's a link to get you thinking.

http://www.gemstone.org/

Good luck to you, and best wishes to the both of you!!!!!!
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Thanks for the advice.

As for what I know ... she wants a solitaire with a thick band, she wants white gold, and she is not too picky about the cut ... she likes round, princess, cushion ... but definitely NOT heart.

She is in approval of getting a diamond simulant and she likes colorless gemstones ... but I will definitely talk to her about a colored option.

Your Mac's Specs
    13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
    if its a engagement ring dont spend all your money
    look at a cubic zirconia rock instead, cant tell the difference unless you look at the receipot.
    A nice selection of rings *joke*

Also try shopping channel such as qvc and what you are looking for might come up

Your Mac's Specs
    lol ... i like the selection.

yea i am thinking cz...

Your Mac's Specs
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.7.5 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.11.6 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I purchased my ring from Robbins Bros. They will have both the real diamond and the cubic zirconia. Just propose to her like mathogre suggested and then take her to pick out the ring she likes. I found that way easier for me. I purchased the cubic zirconia first and came back later and traded it on and upgrade to a diamond.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to buy a ring as she described with a small -- but real -- diamond in it. Now, I don't know your fiancee-to-be and perhaps she'd rather a big fake gem than a little real one. If so, disregard my advice. The current trend to measure a man's love by the size of the diamond he buys is ridiculous and I'm betting your girlfriend doesn't subscribe to that.

I proposed to my wife back when we were in college and the diamond on her ring is so small you might miss it if you glance too quickly. :ninja: It had always been my intention to remove the stone and have it set into a new ring with more/bigger diamonds for an anniversary at some point but ... she won't let me. She doesn't care whether her engagement ring has a smaller stone than all her friends'. She cares that I gave it to her fifteen years ago.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yea, good idea. I am gonna find out what she wants. That is a really nice story by the way.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I did something a little unusual in this regard I guess. An engagement ring is a big deal, and your future wife will wear it for a long time to come. I made the assumption that I could never pick out such a thing for her and get it exactly right - BUT, I wanted a ring to propose with. I was taking her away on a vacation and wanted to bring the ring with me.

SO, I went out and got a ring with a cubic zirconia (speling?) on it that looked like what I thought she would want, and used it. I was quite upfront with her afterwards about what it was - just a placeholder until we got home, and then we could pick out her permanent ring together.

She loved it! In fact, I was close to right - the final ring she picked out looks almost the same as the "placeholder", although it has a real (and smaller!) diamond in it. She still treasures the "placeholder" and wears it regularly.

So, there is another option to consider...
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Your Mac's Specs
    15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
    I like mac57's idea. As a girl who is not materialistic, I still wouldn't want a fake. I'd rather have something small but real...and of course I would tell my fiancee that I didn't want him to spend a lot of $$ on me. We may not WANT you to, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't LIKE it. It's an ENGAGEMENT RING...something that girls dream about from when they are little.

When my hubby and I got engaged we did so without a ring. He gave me a hope chest, and the ring came later when we had the money. We've been married 17 years.

my wife and i talked about this quite a bit. neither of us like the traditional idea of a diamond, and even more so neither of us liked the traditional idea of "the man" buying a ring for "his soon to be wife".

to us the idea seemed far out of date, and materialistic from both sides:
    woman>man - i need to to prove to me you can provide for me.
    man>woman - i need you to be mine and wear something so others know this to be true, uh, but i don't need that sort of ownership, um, right... honey?

we bought two identical bands of tri-gold with a nice design we both liked. we both wore them as engagement rings and then re-presented them to each other on our wedding day.

now every day wherever i am i can look at it and know that she is wearing the same ring, that it was a bond and a choice we both shared, and continue to share completely.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Your Mac's Specs
    15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
    Eric, that is very cool.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Excellent eric - a wonderful and very personal solution to an age old "problem". Well done!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

thanks guys!

after writing that and rereading it, i'm getting a little misty. will have to share this with my wife.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

I will second the matching bands idea, and on one of your anniversarys in a few years you can blow a ton of money that'll have with you masters degree. Any woman that tells you you can save money on her engagment ring to help save for your future deserves a rock as big as a boulder sometime in her life.

Thread Information