Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
    Fed up with Apple
    I run a MacBookPro late 2011 edition Laptop and the graphic card has failed but on contacting Mac Support and their agents have been told they no longer support this version and will not be able to repair it! These machines are not cheap and mine with advanced memory etc even more expensive so I'm pretty p***** off that my machine now is worthless. OK so they no longer support early versions but what about hardware spares, why not supply them? I will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years!

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    The MB Pro 2011 had a history of GPU failure. For that reason Apple had an extended repair program that has since ended. I have one of the late 2011’s and it was fine up until about 6 months ago. I now have three 1 pixel lines of different colors running along the right side of the screen. Since I only use it to capture live video I am okay with that. I get that your machine is maxed out as is mine so we both have considerable cost in them.

Anyway - your MB pro is 8 or 9 years old now. Nothing last forever. There are repair options. Here are a few I googled.

macbook pro 2011 graphics card replacement - Google Search

I have been told that the refurbished logic boards with refurbed GPUs that Apple used to fix the issue originally did not always last either.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Fed up with Apple
    You are beyond the warranty period, so no need to go back to Apple for repairs, you can stick to any local store to see if they can fix it. Your machine is considered vintage by Apple and there are no updates for it from the OS perspective.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Fed up with Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbleboo View Post
    ... will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years!
    You might want to consider one of these places to do your repairs for you:

MicroDoc
    Microdoc - Apple Macintosh Parts and Repair

iFix Electronics
    iFix Electronics - Electronics repair, Computer repair, iPhone repair, Game consoles repair

As for you being mad at Apple, I understand how you feel, but they aren't different than any other company. Most manufacturers of consumer goods offer parts for between 5 to 7 years after the date of manufacture, but they are usually under no legal obligation to do so for any set period. Auto manufacturers offer them for at least 10 years because the law requires it. Manufacturers of farm machinery are sometimes regulated by law too, but they rarely have to offer parts for more than 10 years.

It costs a fortune to stock and warehouse parts for decades worth of parts. Apple sunsets Macs that are older than 7 years:
    Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that after 7 years that Apple sells off it's remaining inventory of parts for old Macs to wholesalers. So, it's not that old parts are strictly unavailable, it's just that you may have to go through a repair shop to get them. That's pretty much the case for any consumer product that is over about 7 years old.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Fed up with Apple
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think its a bit harsh to say that a 9 year old device has failed from the point of quality or longevity. There are not very many electrical devices that last any longer than that. I remind people that the now seemingly ubiquitous iPhone didn't even exist 10 years ago.
    The industry standard suggests that if you get 5 years out of a computer you are doing well so 9 years is excellent.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Fed up with Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I think its a bit harsh to say that a 9 year old device has failed from the point of quality or longevity. There are not very many electrical devices that last any longer than that. I remind people that the now seemingly ubiquitous iPhone didn't even exist 10 years ago.
    The industry standard suggests that if you get 5 years out of a computer you are doing well so 9 years is excellent.
    I agree with all that you've said, Rod.

However, Apple is starting to suffer, ironically, from their own high quality.

Macs have always been extremely reliable, superbly engineered computers. Lots of long-time Mac users will tell you that they replaced one or more old Macs because they just wanted a newer one, not because the old one wore out.

The limiting factor to a Mac's lifespan, in the past, typically was their rotating disk hard drive (if anything). RDHD's statistically become unreliable (i.e. likely to fail) after four years, and terribly unreliable after 5 years. Many Macs have come with SSD's (solid state hard drives) for a long time now. While an SSD can fail at anytime, just like a RDHD, they may also last as long as 20 years with no problems.

So, the thing is, since Macs have had really excellent performance for at least a decade now (really, better performance than most folks need for anything that your average user might do with their Mac), and since they no longer tend to fail due to an expired hard drive, users are holding onto their Macs for about twice as long as they used to. With so many users doing that, the *expectation* is that they will last almost indefinitely.

Ten to twenty years ago, if a Mac user complained that his or her ten year old Macintosh wasn't "supported" by Apple anymore, or that it was failing, everyone would probably have just said "well...yeah, so what?". Now users tend to expect their Macintosh to last almost indefinitely. it isn't economically viable for Apple to support old Macs forever, but users are starting to expect them to.
    Randy B. Singer

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @Randy:

What amazes me is that just about any part that I need for my vintage Mustang (1998) is available thru various online wholesalers. RockAuto parts is one such wholesaler.

Fed up with Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @Randy:

What amazes me is that just about any part that I need for my vintage Mustang (1998) is available thru various online wholesalers. RockAuto parts is one such wholesaler.
    I know! That's because owners of those cars love them and keep them on the road forever.

But many of those parts aren't OEM. Because parts for vintage Mustangs are still in demand, reproductions are common.

I have a couple of old motorcycles that are the same way.

https://www.primoclassicsllc.com/gal...298_main_l.jpg
    Randy B. Singer

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    Fed up with Apple
    Very nice. I have a red iPhone, 'bout as close as I'm gonna get I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbleboo View Post
    I run a MacBookPro late 2011 edition Laptop and the graphic card has failed but on contacting Mac Support and their agents have been told they no longer support this version and will not be able to repair it! These machines are not cheap and mine with advanced memory etc even more expensive so I'm pretty p***** off that my machine now is worthless. OK so they no longer support early versions but what about hardware spares, why not supply them? I will be checking around to find someone who does repair MacBooks, a non agent, but just wanted to register my displeasure that Apple can just dismiss customers who have used their equipment for years!
    Hello bumbleboo. I know this is upsetting...and I know you probably paid a good amount of money for your 2011 MacBook Pro especially if you purchased it brand new.

Let's look at this from a different perspective...and maybe this will help. Not 100% sure what exact model 2011 MacBook Pro this is...but it's 9 years old...and here in the United States even if it was a top end 17" model...it would probably be worth around $400US. To repair a failed GPU...it very possibly would need a replacement logic board. Trust me...for most repair places for parts + labor it's going to cost more to have it repaired than it's current used value.

Your profile says you're in Germany...and maybe the value of used Apple computers is better in Germany than here in the US. If so...maybe it's worth it to get it repaired. But if the value is similar to here in the US...then maybe even if you could find a place to get it repaired...it may cost more than the computer is worth.

Something to consider,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    More than its worth, yes. More than the cost of replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Fed up with Apple
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Anyone have an electric kettle or toaster still going strong after nine years?

Most electrically driven machines that are constantly switched on and off with corresponding power surges, fail sooner than that.

I accept the huge price difference between these and computers, but as a generalisation, it’s true.

Ian
    Ian

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I had my 2011 MBP repaired, repaired then replaced under the extended repair program which, I think, finished in 2015. The replacement was then...replaced!

To answer Ian, my kettles and toasters last about three years, but I am driving a nine-year-old Renault convertible.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Fed up with Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Your profile says you're in Germany...
    I just read that the EU has passed a law (or is about to) that manufacturers like Apple have to make spare parts for repair available for 7 years - that law is supposed to become active some time in 2021. Much more stringent than what is required in Canada or the US, but still well short of 9 years.

I'm sometimes fed up with Apple as well (that's why I read the thread), but for totally different reasons.

Fed up with Apple
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I just read that the EU has passed a law (or is about to) that manufacturers like Apple have to make spare parts for repair available for 7 years - that law is supposed to become active some time in 2021. Much more stringent than what is required in Canada or the US, but still well short of 9 years.

I'm sometimes fed up with Apple as well (that's why I read the thread), but for totally different reasons.
    And the stupid UK is leaving the EU!
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Thread Information