Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bad news from Colostomy
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    No worries Nancy, I wouldn't have posted about it if I was worried about "personal" stuff. As an ex Registered Nurse I'm one of those people who talk frankly about topics at the dinner table that others might rather I didn't. So yes, I was diagnosed with diverticulosis as a result of a colonoscopy (an invasive internal investigate procedure performed under a general anaesthetic). I do not have a colostomy, yet. I say yet because in the worst case scenario that could be an outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MBAmtloin View Post
    My friend was diagnosed with that illness in the late 1990's. He needs a decapitor and used the washroom frequently.
    proper diet will help and a positive attitude also will help you get through this.

i was going to ask you about Bali, Denpensar and other indonesian places you were, but that was off-topic on these forums.
    What is a decapitor???

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

MBAmtloin
    [QUOTE=Rod;1841665]What is a decapitor???

some bag he always mentioned about back then.
    I tried looking up the term, but never had luck finding something i needed.
    how are we today?
    we had a cloudy day but no snow forecasted.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    No worries Nancy, I wouldn't have posted about it if I was worried about "personal" stuff. As an ex Registered Nurse I'm one of those people who talk frankly about topics at the dinner table that others might rather I didn't. So yes, I was diagnosed with diverticulosis as a result of a colonoscopy (an invasive internal investigate procedure performed under a general anaesthetic). I do not have a colostomy, yet. I say yet because in the worst case scenario that could be an outcome.
    Oh ho! Well that clears things up... I was a bit worried, yet confused by your initial post. So, I happen to know a bit about diverticulosis/itis myself since I have the condition and have twice had diverticulitis. I've been fortunate because I recognized the signs very early on (I work in healthcare and see it quite a bit) and was able to get it diagnosed and on antibiotics quickly for early resolution. I haven't had a flare-up in several years now, and afaik, no one knows what even really leads to them. I have been told by my GI doctor that previous beliefs that seeds and popcorn kernels can cause them are no longer considered factors.

As for high fiber diets, all fibers are not alike and my case complicates things greatly. I was finally diagnosed with IBS-C after my first attack of diverticulitis, and that set off some light bulbs for me because I've clearly had that my entire life. Living with IBS has absolutely been a factor in developing diverticulosis and I had to do some research into that and the food triggers, and it's been an ongoing process. But in my case, which is typical of IBS, wheat in particular and gluten in general are triggers (although oddly pasta made from Italian wheat is tolerable). Other triggers which are common include lactose (lactose-free milk is a-ok!), grapes (this includes wine!), peanuts, potatoes, tomatoes, coffee, and some others.

So, in your case, when you look at a high fiber diet, you need to consider what fibers are right for you. If you have IBS (there is diarrhea-dominant IBS also), then you have to take that into consideration, as well as eliminate the other triggers. Look into the differences between soluble and insoluble fibers. You say you are having the runs, so what works for you may be different from what works for me. I had very good luck in the past adding psyllium fiber husks to my diet, but the brand I was using (Konsyl) isn't available anymore and the ones more readily available here powderize the psyllium, which has not proven effective for me.

I'm still in the process of re-evaluating my own diet and one variation I've long read about that is frequently recommended for IBS sufferers is the low FODMAP diet. I suggest reading up on that. I did a 2-week strict trial of a diet that is derived from that to treat another condition that I suspect I have (SIBO) that is believed to develop as a result of long-term uncontrolled IBS-C, and the change in my bowel habit was nothing short of stunning. I'm more loosely following it now while I wait to talk to my GI doctor about it.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-01-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Will keep good thoughts on your behalf Rod. In addition to the suggestion to ask your physician(s) lots of questions might I suggest that you write questions somewhere as they occur to you. I find that I can always think of questions I want to ask about/check out and then I forget to ask them when I'm in the exam room.

I went in for an appointment earlier this week and for the first time I remembered to use the Reminder app on my phone. I punched in a couple of questions before the appointment. This time I remembered the question without the app but next time I'm setting the reminder to pop up based on location when I get to the Doctor's office).
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Bad news from Colostomy

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    If you do Facebook there are probably IBS and related pages there. Husband and I learned a lot from the prostate cancer page when he was diagnosed. All is well after radiation.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I had a prostatectomy for that. Very aggressive type but PSA's zero now. I have not had IBS or lactose intolerance but my daughter has just been diagnosed with Coeliac disease so now we are wondering if that may be down to me which could mean a gastrostomy for me as well.
    Last edited by Rod; 02-02-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Yes, I had a prostatectomy for that. Very aggressive type but PSA's zero now. I have not had IBS or lactose intolerance but my daughter has just been diagnosed with Coeliac disease so now we are wondering if that may be down to me which could mean a gastrostomy for me as well.
    Hi Rod - glad that your surgery went well; but let me clarify 'celiac disease' which may require an upper standard or capsule endoscopy (explained in the link below) but not a gastrostomy (a tube through the abdomen that enters the stomach). Below is a quick summary of the disorder - I use to give my residents two dozen GI lectures, radiology emphasizes, and one was on intestinal malabsorption, which focused predominately on celiac disease - so brief summary below which may help others reading this thread and possibly affected.

Celiac disease (a.k.a. sprue or gluten-enteropathy) is an inherited disorder in which the affected individual has an autoimmune reaction to gluten in the diet (wheat, rye, barley). As a result, the villi of the small intestine become atrophic (see pic) preventing absorption of many important nutrients needed by the body, and resulting in a wide variety of signs and symptoms.

The diagnosis of celiac disease has changed since my early days in medicine. Previously, small intestinal biopsy via upper endoscopy using a long instrument to obtain a biopsy showing the villous atrophy (see pic); these days capsule endoscopy is an easier method. Following the endoscopic diagnosis, a patient is placed on a ‘gluten-free diet’ and after a given period of time, the small intestine is re-biopsied to prove recovery of the villi to normal. Presently, there are also serologic tests and even DNA-testing to evaluate for celiac disease - see link HERE.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 11.05.53 AM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Say Rod, RadDave's last post about celiac disease and gluten reminded me of something about diets. Don't take this as medical advice, but from my own reading as an IBS patient, even though IBS and celiac disease are very different disorders, both can benefit from a gluten-free diet and more specifically a low-FODMAP diet as I mentioned earlier. Now here's something that will blow everyone's minds. I first tried doing a gluten-free diet a few years ago in a bid to control my IBS and wound up getting the most gawdawful headaches that felt similar to caffeine withdrawal, but 10x worse. It turns out gluten withdrawal is a real thing and is what I was experiencing. So be aware of that!

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    Rod - My husband has had a whole host of intestinal issues - too long to go into - including a colostomy and a reversal. I think you meant to reference a colonoscopy in your original post. Hope so as avoiding a colostomy is highly recommended if it is not necessary! Getting old is tough.

Keep a positive attitude. I will be praying.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Lisa, I guess something had to get me. I’ve been lucky with cancer and physical injuries after a lifetime of activity. Really I am only here at all by the grace of god. I’m thankful for what I have and take one day at a time.

I apologise to everyone for the typo, yes, it should have read colonoscopy not colostomy, let’s hope that was not a prophetic slip.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Wishing you well, Rod. x
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    A big thank you to everybody for your concern, sympathy an helpful advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
    Rod, haven't been on in a while but real sorry to her about your health issue. Wishing you the best and praying for you too.
    Kenny

Bad news from Colostomy
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
    Rod, haven't been on in a while but real sorry to her about your health issue. Wishing you the best and praying for you too.
    Thanks Kenny, I know you understand how it is. Apparently 60% of men over 40 in the US have a degree of Diverticulosis. Obviously I've had it for a while but of late it has gotten worse symptom wise so now that I know whats going on i can start eliminating or reducing the things that aggravate it. It's a bugger getting old.

Thread Information