Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liquid Spills - is it any wonder they happen so often?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Just today, I saw the picture below headlining a story on Mac security, pop-up ads etc from a well respected online source in the USA.

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 7.39.04 am??.png

Ian
    Ian

MBAmtloin
    because Coffee taste much better in a open ceramic mug than a covered metallic-rubber entrapped one!
    mbair mug.jpg

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I only posted this because, on these forums, there is a thread containing hundreds of posts from people who have had a liquid spill. The outcome in the majority of cases has been very disappointing.

And yet, it is preventable

The picture shows a computer and an iPhone in close proximity to a glass of water and a mug nicely nestled between the lower arms & wrists! I am well aware that many, many people work this way, at home and especially in cafes.

But I was saddened to see this picture used as an intro to a serious article in a serious online publication.

Ian
    Ian

MBAmtloin
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I The picture shows a computer and an iPhone in close proximity to a glass of water and a mug nicely nestled between the lower arms & wrists! I am well aware that many, many people work this way, at home and especially in cafes.

But I was saddened to see this picture used as an intro to a serious article in a serious online publication.

Ian
    I agree with you, i think this is subliminal messaging for the other source of income, "computer repairs!" and exchanging the "old" MacBooks etc for a brand new spanking one, which was recommended to me every time i entered the  store from 2014-2017
    If it is OK for this computer savvy person to have more beverages on their desk than a happy hour bar counter, why can't I?
    the graphic is interesting and draws attention tho.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    See also: My phone fell down the loo from my back pocket...

Once you have had a disaster you try never to do it again! At least my iPhone7 is water resistant. I do try to keep drinks away from the MBP keyboard.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    That reminds me of when my youngest granddaughter did exactly that. Water resistant or not, not sure I would want to use the phone afterward.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post

Once you have had a disaster you try never to do it again! At least my iPhone7 is water resistant. I do try to keep drinks away from the MBP keyboard.
    Hi Sue - gave me a chuckle and found the YouTube video below - and I have to admit that I have coffee in the morning while checking the forums on my laptop - keep the cup on an adjacent end table and bend my head away from the computer for a sip - admit not perfect but working so far; also have switched to stemless wine glasses -

Wife always brings drinks to her iMac - at least the BT KB can be easily/cheaply replaced - BUT, she finally has learned to keep the drinks an arm's distance away on an adjacent small cabinet top. Dave

If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

I can't convince anyone in my family to keep coffee or tea away from their Mac keyboard either.

I use a Mini, so there is no problem if I spill somethingon the keyboard, but everyone else uses a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air.

My daughter uses a keyboard cover, she is OK typing that way, but everyone else finds that too awkward.

One would think that Apple can come up with some way to at least prevent minor spills from destroying a MacBook - but then again -not in their interest really.
    They rather sell a few more Macs.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Just walk into any Starbucks coffee shop or any other coffee shop and you'll see the majority of folks who are in there using the free WiFi, also have their drinks right next to the keyboard. Over the years we have literally answered hundreds of requests from anxious users who spilled something on their MacBook or MacBook Pro. I would estimate that in 90% of all those incidents, the machine was ruined. Liquids and electronics just don't go well together.

MBAmtloin
    Today while shopping i was searching for a metallic coffee cup and lid, but could not find one.
    i guess tomorrow i will be more careful like the past 14 or so years.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Hadn't seen that video but it describes the problem exactly! Must copy and put on fbook. x
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I'm surprised that drinks are allowed around computers at workplaces. I've spilled drops of water on my keyboard, but not enough to damage it. Of course, businesses would have a hard time keeping people if they had a "no drinks at your desk" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    I'm surprised that drinks are allowed around computers at workplaces. I've spilled drops of water on my keyboard, but not enough to damage it. Of course, businesses would have a hard time keeping people if they had a "no drinks at your desk" rule.
    In our office everyone was given desktops with a large monitor or two.
    So a spill would at most only need the keyboard to be replaced.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mini on steroids; 2011 iMac, 2012 MB Pro
    A spill-resistant keyboard would be a huge selling point, if Apple cared to use one. As it is, their infamous un-repairability is the biggest negative that drives away would-be buyers.

MBAmtloin
    i always begged for a cat friendly laptop or feature were one can type a certain code or keys to freeze the keyboard and press another to unfreeze when our cats want to type or surf the web.

Thread Information