Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    New Law Regarding Collecting Sales Tax By On Line Retailers
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by PGB1 View Post
    From Jake: "...all of whom thought they were doing the right thing for their small businesses by forcing Amazon to collect sales taxes."
    Once again, the government acted without considering ALL of the consequences. Sometimes this can't be avoided, but this one was in the "Plain Sight" category.
    If "we the people" act without considering the consequences, we pay the penalties. What about government actions? Real people, like your wife, pay the penalties for their mistakes.

From Jake: "It is that governments are made up of people who have no clue how the real world actually works."
    So Very True!
    PS: Are the black helicopters circling your house yet? They can come to mine, because I 100% agree with what you said.

I believe this is primarily a fine country in which to live. Heck, my parents, along with many thousands of others over centuries, fought for the chance to escape their homes and live here. But I think it's time for a total political "Do Over". Let's real people think on our own and elect real people next time around. Can't hurt! (Sorry- Preaching again! And way off topic!)
    Let me be clear. The issue is not that some law was written to create this mess. It was a Supreme Court decision that changed the way the previous court decisions about taxing other states' citizens had set up regulation of cross-state boundary taxation. A newspaper article from when the suit was brought said this:
    The states are asking the court to hear the case of South Dakota vs. Wayfair, Overstock and Newegg and to reconsider another case from 1992 that forbids states from collecting sales tax from customers outside their states. A 25-year-old decision in Quill Corp. vs. North Dakota gave internet-only retailers a pass on collecting sales taxes from customers in states where the seller didn't have a physical presence.
    Today the Internet allows Amazon, Wayfair, Overstock, Newegg and others (Pinterest, eBay, Mercari, Etsy, etc) to sell billions of dollars across state boundaries. By law, the liability for paying the taxes is actually up to the citizen, not the seller, but the states find it hard to enforce as they don't know what any individual citizen purchased from outside the state. Given that they cannot chase down (or choose not to do so) their own citizens, they chose to attack the business doing the selling, thus making the seller a de facto arm of the state tax collector. The lawsuit challenged the previous court decisions that relieved cross boundary sellers from being drafted involuntarily into the process for collecting the taxes from the taxpayer. The Supreme Court reversed itself and ruled in favor of the states. But that decision swept up all the small businesses as well. That sweeping is the unintended consequence of what the Justices decided. Given that the Justices cannot make regulations, only decisions, it is not up to them to set any boundaries on what the states do. I don't think anybody in the entire process thought about the small sellers. The defendants, Wayfair, Overstock, etc., didn't really care because they are not paying themselves, only collecting it to pass along, and as long as the burden equally hits everyone who is selling, it doesn't hamper their ability to make money, or their bottom line. So not much defense was raised. If the small businesses had any representation on the defense team, they didn't make much noise. I think everybody just assumed the Supreme Court was going to sustain the previous decision in the matter. When it overturned the previous decision it was a shock. Maybe when the reality settles in the individual states will change their laws to give small businesses a break, but I'm not counting on it. All the states have to do is sit and let it happen. Money will flow in and life will be happy. If a few mom and pop businesses go out of business, well, that's not that bad, someone will pick up the slack. And any given store owner who is impacted can't really afford to bring a lawsuit to take all the way to the Supreme Court again, so the likelihood of a change is pretty small.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    Thanks Charlie.

Spent Christmas New Year with my youngest son and his family at Katoomba, right in the middle of the Blue Mountains fires. On four days the Rural Fire Serbice had us on standby for evacuation which never eventuated fortunately. Pleased to be home on the coast at the beach.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Harry, it's good to hear that you and your family are all well. The fires sound horrible.
    Jake

Thread Information