Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When the next generation of cellphone tech (UK 5g) comes along will broadband be needed
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't argue that in the future (whenever that may be) one might need higher bandwidth. When I started in IT, the speed over telephone lines was 43 baud. That would be a total joke today. But why pay for massive bandwidth today when you don't need it? Since I cut back, I have seen zero impact, and I use a streaming service for all of our TV watching. Even your graph shows that you are using maybe 25Mbps, not 50Mbps, on average. Your graph has peaks at 50, but for every peak there is a valley at 0, so I'm thinking you are closer to 25Mpbs average overall than 50. So even at 200Mbps, you could probably comfortably have four or more videos running. One of the remarkable findings WSJ's research showed was that bandwidth use was not linear, that is, 4 streams didn't drive the peak usage to four times one stream. There were efficiencies in how the router used packets as the burden increased. For example, in your graph a second stream would be fit in the valleys, bringing the average for two streams close to 50, but keeping the peaks still near the 50 limit. So, denser data in the stream but no real increase in the peak.

But if you want excess capacity, go for it. I'll move up when and if I see an impact.
    Jake

When the next generation of cellphone tech (UK 5g) comes along will broadband be needed
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    If you look at the average, yes, you are correct.

On the other hand, when four streaming videos spike to 50 Mbps at the same time, there will be jitter/short freeze in the video on some of the device. For streaming videos, the average transfer rate does not mean much.

I've started out my internet connection at 50 Mbps. When the yearly contract about to expire, I threaten the cable company to leave and get the other cable company instead. For about the same price, or less, they offer higher internet speed and throw in a premium channel for free, like Showtime. This is how I have 200/35 Mbps internet access. If I'd need to pay for it, even the 50 Mbps was just fine.

They are about to roll out the fiber connection, in 3 - 6 month in my neighborhood. Not for the download, but for the upload transfer rate I'll get it, need that to backup my small business systems to the cloud.

Your Mac's Specs
    Fiber is also coming to our neighborhood, and for the same reason, upload speed, I may get it if the cost is not prohibitive. But I'll sign up for the speed closest to what I have. No need to over pay.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe we are neighbors and just didn't know...

Your Mac's Specs
    Not with that helmet. I'm a Redskins fan.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post
    You still physically have the landline, but it's included in the broadband contract and there is no analog facility on the line, just digital. The beauty of VOIP is that any call you make anywhere in the world uses the web to get you into the country you are phoning and it pops out to be a local call.
    Hi John. I note that you are in the UK. Can you give me an example of a UK Broadband provider that offers this. I do not have a physical landline handset but still have to pay for phone line and to have a landline number.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Not with that helmet. I'm a Redskins fan.
    My condolences...

Hey, aren't we suppose to dislike the Cowboys and tolerate each other??

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, at least until we play one another.
    Jake

Thread Information