Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Cream in my Coffee . . .
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    This is somewhat off topic for MacForums, but this is an off-topic Forum, so here goes.

I recently found out the dairy allergy I have long suspected I had is real, and contributes to my migraines. Essentially the only dairy I can tolerate is cheese, butter, and cooked dairy.

Unfortunately I have a coffee habit, and I don’t like it black. But butter seems to work just fine instead of cream. Cuts the harshness without the migraine
    Last edited by RavingMac; 07-22-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Never would have thought of butter for that. My reaction to dairy is not as bad as yours but I straight milk for things like cereal just didn't work for me. Too much gas!!!

Have you tried some of the non diary creamers or some of the other creamers that are not dairy based? admittedly not a topic i know a lot about. I haven't been a regular coffee drinker since I was a teen.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    C'mon guy... butter in coffee? I get to squinting my eyes just thinking of that. I have a Starbucks coffee maker which I use twice a day so you can imagine how I like my coffee. No cream, no sugar, and no butter! LOL.

Sorry to hear about your migraines Mike. A good friend of mine who used to attend our church suffered from migraines so I have some idea how miserable that can be.

And Sly... nothing worse than non dairy creamers. They're loaded with calories and even worse, cholesterol. Not a good choice. (I have seen some low calorie zero cholesterol coffee additives in our local Kroger.)

Your Mac's Specs
    I tried it because I had read about the Russians and other eastern ethnic groups drinking their tea with butter in it.

Surprisingly, a small amount in the bottom of the cup seems to just disappear into the coffee other than cutting the acidity and harshness. And, no Sly, have to agree with Charlie on the creamers. To me they are either unpalatable or loaded with things I can’t pronounce, or both . . .
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I knew that was true of some of the older creamers but it has been years since I drank coffee on a regular basis. I had heard that some of the newer ones were better.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    A friend uses powdered goat”s milk due to dairy allergy. Somehow goats don’t count. It’s a little odd but it was ok when I tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    I should have thought to suggest that. One of my friends was told to give her son goats milk when they discovered he was kactose intolerant. Apparently the reason it works is that goat's milk has less lactose in it.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    I may try that, though I’m not optimistic simply because I hate Goat Cheese. If the milk tastes anything like the cheese I don’t want it anywhere near my coffee

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    And if you ever got up close to Goats and take one whiff, you'll have nothing to do with their milk or cheese. We have Goats (miniature version) around here in some of the remaining ranches still left. One of the ranchers used to keep a Donkey along with his Goats. I always wondered why and found out that the Donkey will protect the Goats from Coyotes carrying them off. I haven't seen any coyotes around here in years though. Used to see them when I was working and had to leave real early in the AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    And if you ever got up close to Goats and take one whiff, you'll have nothing to do with their milk or cheese. We have Goats (miniature version) around here in some of the remaining ranches still left. One of the ranchers used to keep a Donkey along with his Goats. I always wondered why and found out that the Donkey will protect the Goats from Coyotes carrying them off. I haven't seen any coyotes around here in years though. Used to see them when I was working and had to leave real early in the AM.
    I agree, Charlie.
    My grandpa always kept goats, and to me goat cheese tastes like wet goat smells . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If it's lactose that is the issue, there is lactose free milk available. My wife has to have it because of lactose intolerance. The brand we get is Lactaid.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    I think I have an issue with lactose as well -- though not as bad as some. I've tried the 2% stuff but never tried Lactaid. I've used one of the almond milk varieties instead.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Lactaid comes in whole milk, 2%, 1% and fat free. Just the lactose is missing.

EDIT: I don't work for them or have any financial interest. Here is their website for those interested: Lactose-Free Dairy Products | LACTAID(R)
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for mentioning that Jake. The 2% stuff I was using was the regular milk. Not the Lactaid stuff.
    Last edited by Slydude; 07-24-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    May be worth trying. Though, honestly, I’m not exactly certain what part of the dairy is triggering my migraines. I’ve assumed it was casein or another milk protein since cooking seems to keep it from bothering me
    Last edited by RavingMac; 07-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Thread Information