Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Streaming Services (What are you using?)
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks Iggi.

If you "cut the cable & internet"...how/where are you getting internet for $45...and what sort of speed plan does that $45 plan have (upload/download)?

Thanks,

- Nick
    I guess I kind of misspoke. I cut my current service and got completely new service, but still have internet. My old internet was 100mbps up/10 down. My new one is exactly the same, though usual readings are around 130down/12up. 12 month price lock through Spectrum, which I never though I would go with, but I would rather have a gun to my head than pay another month of $190. Now it's just 44.99 after tax.

What REALLLLLYYY ticked me off was that I called WOW 4 times to ask for a price reduction. I had asked because new customers can get bundled service for $70. They said no repeatedly. When I called the 5th time, which was after I had already activated my new service, I told them I needed to terminate my services. They would NOT stop begging me to stay. They kept saying they were willing to help and all that jumbo. I told them too late and that I don't need their service to remove my existing line. Now I get their "basic" cable for free until my old cable line dissolves.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    ...What REALLLLLYYY ticked me off was that I called WOW 4 times to ask for a price reduction. I had asked because new customers can get bundled service for $70. They said no repeatedly. When I called the 5th time, which was after I had already activated my new service, I told them I needed to terminate my services. They would NOT stop begging me to stay. They kept saying they were willing to help and all that jumbo. I told them too late and that I don't need their service to remove my existing line. Now I get their "basic" cable for free until my old cable line dissolves.
    I get it. I live in an area that the cable services have not reached. I am stuck with over-the-air, DirectTV, Dish, or an internet based service. With 1.7MB internet speeds that pretty much eliminates internet based. I had DirectTV for years until I went through several refurbished receivers and they refused to upgrade me to the newest one that offered more recording options - unless I wanted tp pay $399. My bill kept going up and I had a receiver that had to be replaced every few weeks.

I called Dish and they gave me a better deal. Needless to say, when I called to cancel DirectTV all of a sudden I could have the newest receiver for free!! And they would give me a reduced monthly rate for a year. I told them it was too late.

I still have Dish which also streams Netflixs and YouTube. When the newest receivers came out I called and asked for one. They sent it for free. Yes, I am renting the receiver but when it breaks they fix it.

With little options in my rural area I am happy with what Dish offers.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Besides, if you pay for something how can that be classified as piracy?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

- Patrick
    ======

@lclev
    I had DirectTV for years until I went through several refurbished receivers and they refused to upgrade me to the newest one that offered more recording options - unless I wanted tp pay $399. My bill kept going up and I had a receiver that had to be replaced every few weeks.
    That sounds almost like a "Pay As You Go" plan!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I guess I kind of misspoke. I cut my current service and got completely new service, but still have internet. My old internet was 100mbps up/10 down. My new one is exactly the same, though usual readings are around 130down/12up. 12 month price lock through Spectrum, which I never though I would go with, but I would rather have a gun to my head than pay another month of $190. Now it's just 44.99 after tax.
    Good deal...understand now. Good that your internet speed is the same...then you notice no decreased internet quality.

What REALLLLLYYY ticked me off was that I called WOW 4 times to ask for a price reduction. I had asked because new customers can get bundled service for $70. They said no repeatedly. When I called the 5th time, which was after I had already activated my new service, I told them I needed to terminate my services. They would NOT stop begging me to stay. They kept saying they were willing to help and all that jumbo. I told them too late and that I don't need their service to remove my existing line. Now I get their "basic" cable for free until my old cable line dissolves.
    I went thru EXACTLY the same thing in the past 6 months. Was complaining to my former internet/cable TV provider about all the price increases. I contacted them FOUR times in 6 months.

- 1st time they lowered the price a little (they applied some sort of special offers).
    - 2nd time no cost decrease...but bumped me up to the next speed level of internet service.
    - 3rd time...nothing offered (no price decrease, premium channels that expired not offered again, no internet speed bump).
    - 4th time (now paying 30% more than I was paying 6 months earlier)...with no additional services. They wouldn't do anything but say "sorry.

Next day I called up a competitor cable/internet company that had been bugging me for over a year to switch...and switched.

Now I have:

- A lot more TV channels.
    - 3 premium channels (which is really like about 20+ premium channels).
    - Telephone (VOIP which I don't use).
    - Gigabit Internet (about 850Mbps download/850Mbps upload).

All for about $10 more/month than I was paying with the previous company. Current deal I have is locked in for 3 years.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Like IGGI, I have been thinking of getting rid of my current provider and go with Spectrum. Seems they are willing to lock in a better price for 2 years. The problem I have with Spectrum is that I used to have them some years ago when they were known as "Charter". Absolute worse service ever. That's why I hesitate.

I had AT&T for awhile but they like Frontier (my current provider) have a bad habit of jacking up their prices or deciding to leave the area. No winners when it comes to cable providers, they're all highway robbers without a mask and gun.

I'm about ready to go back to a roof top antenna or a good amplified indoor antenna. In my area (Dallas-Fort Worth) we can easily pick up around 40 digital channels. However, I would need to be proficient in Spanish to view 10 of them. LOL

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I won't even start in on the battles with my provider. I no longer call the 800 number with any questions. My blood pressure can't take it.

Sad thing is that means I can't get anything done over the phone. Have to go in to the local office. There is no way, as far as I can tell, to talk to the local people short of physically ging in to the office in person. Dialing the local number routes you to their call center unless things have changed in the last few months.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I used to be loyal to streaming and cable/internet provider. Not anymore. Everybody pretends to care that you are their customer...until you are actually their customer. Then you no longer care. You no longer exist, and it's time for them to attract a new customer.

Been with them all...Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile, Cox Cable, Comcast, TimeWarner, Spectrum. Not a single one of them is worth being loyal to. That's why I'm with Tmobile and Spectrum. No internet or cable package is worth the SKY HIGH price when you're out of a special promotional pricing term. I'll jump ship every time the prices change.

It's just unfortunate that companies are now getting used to this kind of pricing scheme where they keep adding and removing customers on an annual basis. I love it when you used to be able to lock in a price for the life of your contract(how it was when I had AT&T and Cox Cable). Unfortunately, those were the days before internet speeds were as fast as they are now.

I was so incredibly skeptical about Spectrum because of negative reviews, but then I realized they have the same exact rating as every other provider in the area. And to my surprise, my internet actually loads pages quicker now. I'm using their modem and my Netgear Nighthawk X6S router.

The one streaming service provider I would cancel now would be Netflix, but I'm getting it free through Tmobile. I don't think it's worth the price anymore.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I have a Humax PVR box which uses Freeview, and a Netflix subscription. I use VIP Stand for F1 and Showbox for films etc not on Netflix.

VIPStand - Live Sports Stream - VIP live stream You must ignore new windows which open and go back to the original window and the streaming options.

Download Showbox For Mac | Without Bluestacks Method Designed for Android so you have to download additional software such as Bluestacks.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @lclev

That sounds almost like a "Pay As You Go" plan!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Yeah - well, not using DirectTV anymore. I really would love to have cable internet but I am too rural to make it cost effective for them to run fiber optic cable.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

I use Netflix and Hulu, they both have great quality but I have been thinking, both of them are becoming more and more similar gradually.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Netflix Dish Network. Plex Media Server.

I have been trying a Christian movie service also. I know that will not interest many but it's something I love.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 05-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information