35 years today macintosh said "Hello"
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Well I guess yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Macintosh. So I have collected a bunch of links to various sites that give some of us nostalgia and for others a look at history!

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/...671681/photo/1

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366154/fo...n-your-browser

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/174695...e-july-23-1985

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_mac

James Friend | PCE.js - Classic Mac OS in the Browser

Enjoy!

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Thanks Lisa...great stuff!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Wow nostalgia city. I had the Mac pictured, complete with rectangular mouse. It had that little rubber ball inside and two rollers that seemed to need constant cleaning, boy they were the days. I learned to type with Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor and played Prince of Persia with my son who always beat my score (still does). Thanks Lisa, perfect reading topic for a rainy day at the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I remember the first time I saw the "Prince of Persia" demo was on a brand new iBook on display at CompUSA. That was a great store which had a large section of the display area dedicated to Apple and Apple software. They were sold in 2006 and closed all their stores a year later. They were sort of a forerunner to Best Buy.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I remember the first time I saw the "Prince of Persia" demo was on a brand new iBook on display at CompUSA. That was a great store which had a large section of the display area dedicated to Apple and Apple software. They were sold in 2006 and closed all their stores a year later. They were sort of a forerunner to Best Buy.
    We had both CompUSA and Best Buy open in the early 2000's here. For computer stuff I always went to CompUSA. Ours had a nice Mac section toward the back. The manager of the Mac part was trained at Apple and quite knowledgeable. We became friends and I used to go there and hang out. I went the night Tiger was released. He threw a Tiger launch party. It was a lot of fun and I came home with Tiger that night. I really miss CompUSA.

Your Mac's Specs
    My first time to see a macintosh was in a computer class at college. We were evaluating educational software for elementary kids. The graphics were the big deal back then. The program I was evaluating was for a sex education class - for middle school age. All I will say is if a girl saw that program that showed what happens to a guy when he get "excited" she would be scarred for life! I'll just say the ability to show rounded corners had not been developed yet!

Dennis - I too loved CompUSA. Also Circuit City was around too but not my favorite. And thus was born TigerDirect - which was the combination of both. How time changes.

Rod - I do not miss the rubber ball mouse. I can remember using a paper clip and small computer sweeper to clean out the dust that would clog up the rollers.

But I enjoy looking at "remember whens" .

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I had forgotten about Circuit City. My daughter received a Circuit City gift card from a relative for her birthday but kept putting off using it. I finally convinced her to use it and we did, to buy a camera. Shortly thereafter Circuit City went out of business. I had forgotten that TigerDirect is the combo of both CompUSA and Circuit City. TigerDirect advertises as a PCM company - whatever that is? But they're still around and maintain a web site.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    My first Mac was a PowerBook 1400 CS. Bought from CompUSA, when those new iBooks had just come out... Spent a LOT of time in the 2 local CompUSA's!

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks Lisa...great stuff!

- Nick

+1!!! Ditto.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    TigerDirect is owned by PCM inc. which is a direct marketing company that use to be called Creative Computers. I use to order a lot from TigerDirect UNTIL I received an email telling me they no longer accepted returns to take it up with the manufacturer - or something to that effect. Also sometimes it just isn't what I wanted and I want to send it back.

Some fun reading??: Return Policy at TigerDirect.com

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Lisa, we had all 3 here in town at one time. Circuit City was here first then a new shopping center opened just above our Mall and Best Buy and CompUSA both came to town. I liked Circuit City for Cameras and some other things like some TV sets, but for Computer anything CompUSA was the best.

Last I had seen Tiger Direct opened a few CompUSA locations but not sure what is going on now.

Your Mac's Specs
    For me CompUSA was a good 45 minute drive so it was a treat for me to get time to go. Of course, I had kids, was teaching full time, and helping my husband run our farm so time was a premium.

Now the Apple store, Fry's and MicroCenter are my "treats" as all are over an hour away from where I live. We have a Best Buy over by where I work but they have - in my opinion - gone down. I use to head there for the best price, now it is when I have to have it now and can't wait.

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. High Sierra. 8GB Ram
    Blog Entries
    my first mac was a color classic II. 1990 or so.

Thread Information