Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ill Health

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Thank heavens you're in a sensible country with proper health care and a rational view of the value of stem cell transplants!
    Stem cell transplants as a treatment for Multiple Myeloma are relatively common place here in the US (I assume the US is the target of your ire here).

The stem cells are essentially harvested from your own body. Your immune system is then essentially zapped and the harvested stem cells are then re-introduced to help build your immunities back up again. It is a long, slow process, but it's an incredibly effective treatment for many with this condition.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 27" (10.15), 2018 MBA, (10.15), iPhone X (13), iPad 6 (13)
    I'm due an op tomorrow (well, it's scheduled to go ahead at the moment) to fix my broken back so when I have my chemo and stem cell transplant I should be as "good" as new. I use the word good reservedly!!

I'm having 2 rods inserted between my L1 and L5 vertebrae and get a new donor L3 one (or they'll remove the damaged bone and graft on a replacement part (think grinding rusty metal out of your car and welding in new steel!)). This'll all then be plated, pinned and screwed.

Sounds straightforward....

I'll be back on my ward then on Tuesday hopefully guys. If I can pursuade the docs to let me have a pic of their work I'll post it on here with a "beware if squeamish" warning!

See you all on the other side :-)
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....of Ülm

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Geez. Some people will do anything to avoid the Sunday chats.

Seriously, hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Let us know how things go as soon as you feel up to it.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

I should say Stick with it. Its too late to back out and anything worth a chance is worth the effort in my humble opinion. This may sound a bad experience, at least they won't be using 'rust-ware', titanium is the best for this job. I saw a guy have his totally broken and twisted spine get 'rodded' and a few months later it was hardly noticeable, the now slight curve as he walked again! I used to be in Medical Research, so nothing phases me anymore. Good luck (as if you need it!) keep your head up and keep taking the pills.

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by exsnapper View Post
    I should say Stick with it. Its too late to back out and anything worth a chance is worth the effort in my humble opinion. This may sound a bad experience, at least they won't be using 'rust-ware', titanium is the best for this job. I saw a guy have his totally broken and twisted spine get 'rodded' and a few months later it was hardly noticeable, the now slight curve as he walked again! I used to be in Medical Research, so nothing phases me anymore. Good luck (as if you need it!) keep your head up and keep taking the pills.
    yes all titanium bits and bolts

so get to lose some weight with the addred bonus of not setting off any airport machines!! This time next year I intend spending a couple of weesk in Florida with my sister at her place there :-) Gotta have plans.

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
    yes all titanium bits and bolts

so get to lose some weight with the addred bonus of not setting off any airport machines!! This time next year I intend spending a couple of weesk in Florida with my sister at her place there :-) Gotta have plans.
    Hi Nick - all the best of luck w/ the surgery! And a FL trip sounds nice too - wife & I go about every year in the spring, usually alternating the coasts. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Ill Health
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    My sincere best wishes for your journey. Look forward to hearing from you in your recovery.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    well, I survived!

back is a bit sore but that's to be expected and it's another step on the road to my recovery :-)

I just want to be in a hospital nearer home for Christmas now - PLEEEEEEEEASE!!

Sylvester, I promise to make one of your Sunday chats in the New Year! Who knows, when I'm in Florida next October I might even join in.

chas_m
    Glad to hear.

I have a rod and ball in my arm from when I destroyed my elbow landing on it in a fall. When I was a skinny whiff of a lad it would sometimes set off the metal detectors, but I've bulked up a bit since then.

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Nick,
    Glad things went well. Definitely keeping you in my prayer list. Though, to be honest, I'll pass on the pics of the operation.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @nickyr Glad to hear things are going reasonably well right now. Sounds like you are keeping a good sense of humor.

We'll be glad to have you any time you fell like joining in. I've been trying to work in a show or two that would be at a more convenient time for our European members. Even If we couldn't do it every weekend.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacInWin
    I'll keep praying for you. Now that I can be more specific (about being closer to home for Christmas) I can sharpen up the prayers!

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    I had to leave my local hospital for a few days to get some back surgery done (I've had 5 vertebrae fused and am now partially constructed from titanium rods, plates and screws) but am thankfully back at my local one for Christmas so family can get here to see me over the holidays.

Thank you for all your messages of support recently - they really are much appreciated and mean a lot to my family and me.

MacInWin
    YAY! I know you wanted that very much! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Ill Health
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
    Thank you for all your messages of support recently - they really are much appreciated and mean a lot to my family and me.
    Hi Nick - hope that you have a pleasant holiday season w/ family and friends - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information