Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gasp! A major and unknown threat for OSX
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
    ...there are far more viruses for Linux than Windows ever had ...
    I'm sure, I would have missed everything else he had to say after that, as I'd be laughing way too hard to hear anything
    Dvid

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    Quote Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
    I'm sure, I would have missed everything else he had to say after that, as I'd be laughing way too hard to hear anything
    I didn't laugh (probably too stunned by such an asinine statement) but after that came out, anything else he said immediately went to my /dev/null as useless.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    This is not Virus related but funny ISP story none the less.

AT&T DSL. My connection at the time was 3Mbps down and 1 up. One day it was going like an old Dial Up modem. I called them and made the large mistake of saying I was at the time on my iBook,. They gave me to a so called Mac tech who informed me that Macs do not get on the Internet as they do not have a BLUE E! (Internet explorer) but he said Blue E!

I argued with him and then finally after 2 more so called TECHS telling me the same thing,I demanded to speak to Level 2 support. They sent a tech out and SHE determined I was 100% right and it was on their end! She got to the bottom of it, an overloaded router at the CO! So after that all was well!

One thing I forgot to post is I told them I had 24 computers with different OS's on each ranging from Many Linux versions to Windows and OSX. I also told them I had tried 10 different routers and 10 different DSL modems all of which is 100% true! They went on to tell me that all 24 of my computers were having the same issue and same with all my routers! WOW!

ISPs are am amazing bunch sometimes.

I pay $89.00 a month for NO specified or guaranteed speeds form Comcast in SA-PA (Pottstown). This also includs modem rental. Without this, you are told its your modem, or lines. Get good service from the techs over the phone.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.5GHZ Intel Core 7, 6GB R33 MHz DDR3, High Sierra.
    insanity
    A very wise psych professor once told me, "Don't try and understand crazy. Just find a way to cope. Only other crazy people truly understand."

I have several Macs including the new 6-core Mac Pro and never had any of the security issues I have with my PC . I was a Windows fan boy for over 20 years because I like building my own PCs but after my first Mac in March 2009 ( 2.26Ghz Dual Core Mac Mini) I started to think about using Macs more often.

My current PC was built four years ago (6-core AMD, 6950 graphics, 256GB SSD boot drive , Windows 8.1) and some of the browsers are unusable with all of the malware even after MalwareBytes scans since the kids play games on it like Minecraft and click on the bad links out there. They use my older Mac Pro (2008 3.1 with 1TB PCIe SSD boot drive, Yosemite 10.10 beta ) to play Minecraft against the other on the PC and it never has the same malware issues like on Windows 8.1.

There are no known Viruses afflicting OS X, none seen in the wild that is, however there is plenty of Malware and Adware that OS X is vulnerable to: The Safe Mac » Tech Guides

Apple is based on Linux, and there are far more viruses for Linux than Windows ever had.
    Whenever someone tells you that there are "viruses" for OS X, ask them for an example (i.e. what its name is), and ask for a citation to an authoritative Web site about that virus that says that it is indeed something that is specific to the Mac and that the latest versions of OS X aren't already inoculated against it.

Tell them that you are only asking for one example.

That usually shuts up people who don't know what they are talking about.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Quote Originally Posted by jaked.902 View Post
    There are no known Viruses afflicting OS X, none seen in the wild that is, however there is plenty of Malware and Adware that OS X is vulnerable to: The Safe Mac » Tech Guides
    The Safe Mac currently lists only 47 examples of malware for the Macintosh.
    The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide
    About half of these can safely be called "extinct" because they don't exist in the wild. The rest are mostly either of no concern because OS X's built-in XProtect system inoculates Macs against them (or an update to Java or Flash does the same), or they are so rare that just about no Mac users could find them even if they went out looking for them. (Several are targeted attacks in Asia.)

I don't know if this qualifies as "plenty" of malware. I'd characterize it as "nothing to be concerned about at this time as long as one takes simple and logical precautions, like keeping your software up to date."

I'm on over a dozen Macintosh discussion lists, and though most Mac users, by far, do without any sort of anti-virus software, you just about never hear any credible reports of anyone being infected by any sort of malware. (I say "credible" because recent switchers blame every problem on a suspected virus, though that is never really the cause of any of their problems.)

By contrast, there are well *over a million* pieces of malware for Windows!!!:
    BBC NEWS | Technology | Computer viruses hit one million
    (And this article was from 8 years ago!)
    and Sophos says that they see over 95,000 new threats for Windows *every day*!!!
    Top Ten Tips to Avoid the Regulatory Auditor's Wrath - Data Threat Detection and Prevention | Sophos Security Topics - Virus, Malware, Web, Antivirus and Social Media Security Trends - Cloud Antivirus, Endpoint, UTM, Encryption, Mobile, DLP, Server,
    (See item #5.)

I'd say that we Mac users are in pretty good shape. The press has been saying that there will soon be a deluge of malware for the Mac since OS X was released...13 years ago. But that's because the press thinks that since Windows and the Mac OS look the same, they must be essentially the same. That's simply not the case. It's hard to write malware for the Mac, and when the bad guys do it, their efforts are nullified before they can realize a profit from doing so. So it's both hard, and there is a disincentive for doing so.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    See Signature
    The media usually over-hypes these things anyway--on any OS platform.

"...there are far more viruses for Linux than Windows ever had ..."

I'm a relatively new Mac user and even I can see what an asinine statement this is.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Guess no matter what my complaints in Indonesia unlimited at 1.5 mgb down and 0.50 up is pretty good for $25/mth.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Wow, that's some pretty horrendous speeds right there..I'm currently at $60/month for 75 Mbps up & down. I was at $40/month 50 Mbps down/25 Mbps up and recently upgraded..
    You all beat me.. I am paying 2500 Ph Peso (about 60 USD) for 2.5 mega bit.. Takes me every bit of 5 hours to upload a 1GB video file.. Luckily download speeds are about 4 times faster.. 315k on average.. No limits though..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Your Mac's Specs
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Guess no matter what my complaints in Indonesia unlimited at 1.5 mgb down and 0.50 up is pretty good for $25/mth.
    LOL I am just north of you in Mindanao.. About the same here..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    "Sir! You are wrong on that. Apple is based on Linux, and there are far more viruses for Linux than Windows ever had. I know that for a fact - Linux is what we run here and we are always having to update our antivirus."
    This is the point at which you just say "nope" and walk out. Apple is a company, the product he's talking about (OS X), as you pointed out, is BSD based and Linux is even more secure that OS X. So much hurt in that one statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    The rest are mostly either of no concern because OS X's built-in XProtect system inoculates Macs against them (or an update to Java or Flash does the same), or they are so rare that just about no Mac users could find them even if they went out looking for them. (Several are targeted attacks in Asia.)

[...]

I'm on over a dozen Macintosh discussion lists, and though most Mac users, by far, do without any sort of anti-virus software, you just about never hear any credible reports of anyone being infected by any sort of malware.
    You can't say that malware is not a security threat when you start a discussion with ensuring that Apple's anti-malware solution is front and centre. That would be like a doctor saying "Rabies shots are great and you need one but there are no credible threats...".
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    You can't say that malware is not a security threat when you start a discussion with ensuring that Apple's anti-malware solution is front and centre. That would be like a doctor saying "Rabies shots are great and you need one but there are no credible threats...".
    I didn't say that malware is "not a security threat." Please don't put words in my mouth.

Precisely what I said was "I'd characterize it as nothing to be concerned about at this time as long as one takes simple and logical precautions, like keeping your software up to date."

My point isn't that there is no malware for the Macintosh. (Or, using your example, I'm not saying that there are "no rabies.") There is. It's just that, once again, stretching your example, we are all currently *already* inoculated against rabies. That is, there is no reason for anyone to become paranoid about rabies that you can't catch.

It's likely that one day there will be something nasty out there that we can all catch, but that day isn't today. When that day comes, we can all download anti-virus software if that seems like the best course.
    Randy B. Singer

Thread Information