Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Anyone been on a cruise before? Any advice?
    Planning a cruise with my gf for a month or two down the road. We are both 25 and very outgoing. Cost is a factor as we would both like to save money. What expenses are there besides the upfront fees? How much should i expect to spend? Whats a good cruise line to pick? Will my apple products work on the ship?

Vacationstogo.com is a great 'aggregator' of cruise ship pricing. No fancy ads that slow down your search.

After booking the actual cruise, your additional expenses will be :

shore excursions (waste of money to book via the cruise line; search tripadvisor.com for 'things to do', call the company directly. Do it in advance so others don't beat you to it);

libations (booze);

gratuities (often added to your bill on the last day of your trip. You will tip the stateroom host; your waiter(s), etc.

As for cost, that depends on the cruise line (up to 5 stars); when you travel and where (Eupope/Med is expensive); and duration of the trip.

Start with vacationstogo.com.

Enjoy your trip!

(ps - most ships will run 110 volts, so no issue with Mac products. Onboard internet is something like $1 / minute with dial-up speeds. Forgo internet if you can).

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Is this topic an Apple Rumor or Report? It does not belong in that forum - please read our forum descriptions before posting. It has been move here to our off topic forum.

Thanks,

chas_m
    I'm not a seasoned cruise veteran but I've been on a few, so here's my advice:

pick and choose on-shore excursions carefully, as they can be expensive. Don't try to do everything.

as others have said, avoid the ship wi-fi (it is really criminally ridiculous the way the cruise industry rips you off in this area -- makes airline Wi-Fi look like the deal of the century!).

Don't fall for the pro photo ops unless you are genuinely a bad photog/have a crappy camera.

Bring something nice to wear for evening dinner.

Don't be afraid to make new friends! Lots of fun people on cruises, enjoy them while you're together and maybe some lasting friendships will be forged!

The ship will try to keep you busy all the time -- but you're on VACATION. Don't forget to relax and do nothing but eat some days!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Make sure the captain is not Italian
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Interestingly, Costa Cruise Lines is owned by Carnival.

Your Mac's Specs
    See Signature
    My advice: Stream WiFi from you iPhone
    [Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    I've been on a few cruises, all with Royal Carribean - in fact, I was married on a cruise ship in Bermuda.

My advice? Go to your doctor and get a script written for this:

Transderm Sc?p patch Information for Patients ? Scopolamine Patch to Prevent Motion Sickness

It works much better than Dramamine (which can act as a sedative) and once you stick it behind your ear, you don't have to fuss with it for several days. Even if you don't think you'll experience seasickness, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Aside from that, I think Chas covered it pretty well. Have a great time!
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
    Beware traveling on ships of Liberian, etc... registry, unless you trust the Liberian or other Navy to rescue you if things go South. See the recent Algerian Special Forces oil field hostage rescue, Achille Lauro hijacking, etc... for details.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Keep a close eye on bar tabs. Comes as quite a shock the 25% tip on top of pretty steep prices.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information