Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Made the switch away from iPhone. My experience.
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I got bored of the iPhone. This has been a conundrum for for the past few months. I wanted a new phone, but didn't know how to transcend away from the iOS environment. I woke up one morning, and said, "whatever, I don't care anymore," and walked into BestBuy(save the hate, I had a $25 coupon and $35 gift card) and bought the Note 2. I have been wanting this phone since I first hear about it.

Why I made this decision. I love tech stuff, and the iphone, to me, was getting boring. My early upgrade just came through, so I could test a new phone, and still be within the launch period of the next gen iPhone. Having gone from the iPhone 3G, to Iphone4, to the 4S, you would think I would be drawn to the iPhone5 right? No. It did nothing for me. I don't even know how to explain it.

These are some things that worried me about switching. I have a Mac, and though I use Windows7 on BC, I still want my phone to sync natively to my Mac. The worry that syncing wouldn't be as smooth as the iPhone had me. I don't think there's another phone in existence that syncs info as well as the iPhone on an Mac. I had gotten used to easily syncing EVERYTHING in one go with Itunes and iPhoto, but I decided to just go with it and use it as an experience.

Now that I actually own the Note 2, and more specifically an Android phone, I actually have a better understanding of the OS quality provided by Apple.
    However, with that said, the Android 4.1 is awesome. Better than anything to come before it from Android(obviously, right?). This phone is an absolute MONSTER!

I now use my iphone as an alarm clock and is the bluetooth source to play music in my car.

The iPhone feels like a child's toy in comparison. I'm not sure how many of you might be from my generation to know this, but the best analogy I can come up with is a person owning a MBP, and a child owning one of those preteen laptops that only do a few things. That's how I feel in terms of limitation.
    I can't believe I just said that. O.O

I've actually been holding judgment for a while now...so I can know for sure.

Please don't hate me

Can't wait for the iPhone 6!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    It did nothing for me. I don't even know how to explain it.
    It lacks excitement. This is one of the benefits of a licensing based model - manufacturers have to compete against each other on hardware since the software is relatively the same. With that, you get interesting and different twists. In the model Apple has mastered (at least in the consumer space), the integration is tight (as you discovered with iTunes and OS X) but a lack of competition means that you're stuck with one design. Neither is necessarily "better" but they are worlds apart in many ways.

These are some things that worried me about switching. I have a Mac, and though I use Windows7 on BC, I still want my phone to sync natively to my Mac. The worry that syncing wouldn't be as smooth as the iPhone had me. I don't think there's another phone in existence that syncs info as well as the iPhone on an Mac. I had gotten used to easily syncing EVERYTHING in one go with Itunes and iPhoto, but I decided to just go with it and use it as an experience.
    I can't comment on this because I don't use them but some manufacturers have a sync tool that makes this easier. For example, Sony has one that lets me sync my phone with my iTunes library. Does Samsung offer something similar?

Please don't hate me
    As someone who owns both Android and iOS devices, it would be hard to do.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Absolutely no hate here . . .

On the other hand, I have zero desire for my phone to be exciting. I just want it to be reliable and easy to use.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

I got bored of the iPhone. This has been a conundrum for for the past few months. I wanted a new phone, but didn't know how to transcend away from the iOS environment. I woke up one morning, and said, "whatever, I don't care anymore," and walked into BestBuy(save the hate, I had a $25 coupon and $35 gift card) and bought the Note 2. I have been wanting this phone since I first hear about it.

Why I made this decision. I love tech stuff, and the iphone, to me, was getting boring. My early upgrade just came through, so I could test a new phone, and still be within the launch period of the next gen iPhone. Having gone from the iPhone 3G, to Iphone4, to the 4S, you would think I would be drawn to the iPhone5 right? No. It did nothing for me. I don't even know how to explain it.

Now that I actually own the Note 2, and more specifically an Android phone, I actually have a better understanding of the OS quality provided by Apple.
    However, with that said, the Android 4.1 is awesome. Better than anything to come before it from Android(obviously, right?). This phone is an absolute MONSTER!

I now use my iphone as an alarm clock and is the bluetooth source to play music in my car.

The iPhone feels like a child's toy in comparison. I'm not sure how many of you might be from my generation to know this, but the best analogy I can come up with is a person owning a MBP, and a child owning one of those preteen laptops that only do a few things. That's how I feel in terms of limitation.

Please don't hate me

kinda funny lol - i went opposite

went from android/pc to iphone/mac

i love the iphone and hate the mac. iphone feels so smooth and clean where my galaxy nexus felt pretty buggy

as far as mac vs PC - its hard for my mbp to stand against my gaming rig with windows 8 and SSD i truly love my iPhone - but my mac kinda feels like a toy computer. the incompatibility is ridiculous - i used to laugh at the mac kids in class who we would have to wait for to catch up and get things figured out - now i am one of them

thank god for boot camp

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Mac Book Pro 2.5GHz i5, iphone 5, ipad4
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post

On the other hand, I have zero desire for my phone to be exciting. I just want it to be reliable and easy to use.
    +1 on reliable & ease of use.

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Glad you found what works for you/makes you happy. I could never give up my iPhone. I went from 4 -> 5 so it was a little more of a jump up for me. Maybe that makes a difference?

I also value the reliability and lack of issues to deal with. I just want it to work. Security is a big issue with other mobile (and computer) OS. It's not a concern or even a thought on my iPhone or my MBP. To me, the peace of mind, ease of use, and smooth user experience trumps all else. Plus I think my iPhone 5 is pretty sexy.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Please don't hate me

Not sure if I'm reading this part correctly? You are saying that you feel limited in the way iOS feels?

Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Glad you found what works for you/makes you happy. I could never give up my iPhone. I went from 4 -> 5 so it was a little more of a jump up for me. Maybe that makes a difference?

I also value the reliability and lack of issues to deal with. I just want it to work. Security is a big issue with other mobile (and computer) OS. It's not a concern or even a thought on my iPhone or my MBP. To me, the peace of mind, ease of use, and smooth user experience trumps all else. Plus I think my iPhone 5 is pretty sexy.
    It's stealthy and sexy. Especially the black one.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    There's certainly something to be said about this as well. I was like this for the longest time, holding onto the idea that a phone should just be a phone. I've moved away from that a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Security is a big issue with other mobile (and computer) OS. It's not a concern or even a thought on my iPhone or my MBP. To me, the peace of mind, ease of use, and smooth user experience trumps all else. Plus I think my iPhone 5 is pretty sexy.
    Be careful - don't let that push you into complacency.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    There's certainly something to be said about this as well. I was like this for the longest time, holding onto the idea that a phone should just be a phone. I've moved away from that a bit though.
    I know with the black armor and all, you have maintain appearances and a certain "Techno-geek" dignitas, but I find myself slipping in the other direction entirely. Instead of a smart-phone, I'd love a "not-quite-dumb-as-dirt" one.

Actually, ideal for me would be for Apple to base a cheaper model off of the iPod Nano, with a down-sized data plan to match. All I need are for my contacts to sync and reminders to work (and to be able to pull up 1Password when I need it). I'll do the rest on my iPad.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Actually, ideal for me would be for Apple to base a cheaper model off of the iPod Nano, with a down-sized data plan to match. All I need are for my contacts to sync and reminders to work (and to be able to pull up 1Password when I need it). I'll do the rest on my iPad.
    Unfortunately, that would go against everything Apple trie to accomplish through its image and representation.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    I made a similar transition a few months ago. I had the iPhone 4, which I did love but as I'm frequently in areas with 4G, I really wanted a phone that would support 4G. The iPhone 5 didn't do it for me (for one thing, I hate the new screen - if it were a bit wider I would have been happy, but this tall maintaining narrow just didn't cut it for me and for another thing, iOS needs a facelift, it's almost 6 years old (might as well be 20 in computer years) and really feels its age). So, I moved to a Samsung Galaxy SIII.

I am happy with the phone (I was already very familiar with Android but didn't use it every day), but now that I use it every day I am having some stability issues that comes from at least one of the apps I've installed which is becoming a not-so fun challenge to track down as I don't want to uninstall/reinstall everything (unstable being that the phone becomes unresponsive black screen where certain buttons still do something, usually requires a battery pull) - this has annoyed me as the ONLY time I had a real problem with my iphone that required reboots was when I had it jailbroken and was experimenting. Other then the little gripe of the app issue, the screen is the size I like and I have 4G, so for me, at least for another 2 years, I'll be using this phone.

I also had the "how am I gonna sync my iTunes" to it issue (my android tablet I never wanted/needed to sync iTunes to) and chose to use an app called iSyncr, non-drm songs and videos transfer and work well)
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I haven't been impressed, except with the camera - thus, still sitting on my 3GS.

And since Samdung is not permitted any more of my money, would like to see something from anyone that's gone with a LG or Moto phone that has a 64 GB version available.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    iOS needs a facelift, it's almost 6 years old (might as well be 20 in computer years) and really feels its age).
    This times 1000. iOS looks the same way it did when it first came out. Honestly, at this point, a grid of icons just doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    And since Samdung is not permitted any more of my money, would like to see something from anyone that's gone with a LG or Moto phone that has a 64 GB version available.
    It take it that was done on purpose?
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I haven't been impressed, except with the camera - thus, still sitting on my 3GS.

I like the camera, but even more so the Retina screen. I find that I can actually read some web pages using Mobile Safari without zooming in, and the readability on books and PDFs is much better.

IMO for our aging eyes the change is well worth it.

Like the name choice for the competitor BTW.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Didn't spend any time looking at text on the screen when I went to check out the 5, probably should do that again before I finally upgrade.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information