Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Just bought a house:)
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Smile Just bought a house:)
    These past couple of weeks have been maddening! I've been casually eyeing houses for the past couple of months, as well as good loans and interest rates. I first started looking at newly built houses in my area and cities around me due to great prices, but got turned off by how cheaply new houses are made these days. That eliminated new houses...easily. I then started looking at "used" houses...sounds weird saying it. Looked at a whole bunch with a realtor, until we pulled into to the driveway of our new house. I knew I was going to like it before stepping foot into it(had already seen a couple pics in a handout). I knew it was the one instantly. It wasn't in perfect condition, but it's nothing in my book. I like fixing stuff! It's the bigger picture I'm looking at :]

The house is a brick-front, aluminum siding colonial in a nicely wooded development from the 70's. It has 2300 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, fireplace, finished basement, pool table, rear deck with connecting hot-tub, in-ground basketball hoop, dual-separate garage doors, fenced in backyard for my dog, new windows, new roof, and two grown apple trees.

Anyways, this deal has been hectic because the owners of the house are an elderly couple who moved into a beach-front condo, and argue over every dollar, and then they would try to remove things with every counter offer they sent. I offered lower to eventually get the EXACT price I wanted to pay, for the exact listing...everything included. My loan is locked at 3.55% with 1 point.

We had two inspections: one from our bank(required and includes inspection appraisal), and one inspection that we hired to go more into depth.
    Everything but the breaker box checks out fine, with the exception of small things like leaking caulk, cracked electrical plates, and etc. Previously, someone ran wiring to the outside backward, and had installed a second small breaker box running off the main breaker box before the on/off switch...meaning if you turned the main breaker off, the second breaker would still be live. Easy fix.

I've been hesitating to post anything about this anywhere because I don't want to jinx myself, but I now know it's done, and off the market

So, who's coming to the moving party?
    If only my excitement could reflect off this post....blaaahhhhgiuhoihipijkljhgvftgyhjbgftyuhjkg fjb
    Only 3 more weeks till closing.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Congratulations!
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

That's pretty exciting! Congrats! I assume this is your first house?
    iPhone 6 128GB // MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 4 64gb // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Video 80gb //

Congrats! I know the feeling about walking into a house and suddenly knowing that's the one..we recently went through the same thing..spent nearly a year and half trying to sell our old house to move into a new house and it all fell together amazingly in December of last year..and it's been great since we moved in..

3.55% interest is awesome, I got a pretty good deal and if the interest rate persists to sit around the mid 3's, I might refinance at some point in the future..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Congrats on purchasing the house!!!

What are you moving from (house, apartment, condo, cave, etc.)? Will this be your 1st house?

Yeah...the interest rates are pretty good at the moment...I was thinking of refinancing our mortgage.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks you all! Yes, this will be my first house. As of right now, we are renting a pretty nice house, that actually belongs to my friends parents. I've just been planning at what age I would want my house to be paid off, and thought that now is the best time to buy if I want it to be paid off on or before that age. We weren't desperate to move. When growing up, I always knew what kind of house I wanted, what kind of back yards, and etc, so I didn't rush it. This house just happened to be exactly what I wanted.

I forgot to mention...it has an awesome firepit!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    Thanks you all! Yes, this will be my first house. As of right now, we are renting a pretty nice house...
    The reason why I asked what you were moving from was...many 1st time home owners may or may not realize the "scope" of all the "extra" items you need after buying the house (especially if it's an older home & the new owners want to do DIY projects to save money):

- lawn mower
    - rake (leaves)
    - snow shovel (if it snows in the area)
    - ladder(s)
    - all sorts of tools
    - etc. etc. etc.

Home improvements stores (Home Depot & Lowe's) seem to become your new 2nd home!

But since you've already been renting a house...maybe you've already started collecting these items.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Congratulations!

Not all newly built homes are made with cheap materials. It depends on the builder I guess.

You can always accelerate your payments to pay it off sooner, once your income goes up.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The reason why I asked what you were moving from was...many 1st time home owners may or may not realize the "scope" of all the "extra" items you need after buying the house (especially if it's an older home & the new owners want to do DIY projects to save money):

- lawn mower
    - rake (leaves)
    - snow shovel (if it snows in the area)
    - ladder(s)
    - all sorts of tools
    - etc. etc. etc.

Home improvements stores (Home Depot & Lowe's) seem to become your new 2nd home!

But since you've already been renting a house...maybe you've already started collecting these items.

- Nick
    This won't be the first time I'll be living in a house that we own, but it's going to be my first home. We've got two lawn mowers, trimmers, edgers, a chainsaw, snow blower. There won't be a whole lot of new stuff, but there will be a lot more grass to cut. Good thing I just bought a new Craftsman lawnmower...finally made the move to a self-propelled lawnmowers.
    I picked up a snowblower not to long ago at a garage sale for only 5 bucks. The seller said he couldn't get the arm lever to engage the blades, and that it's been broken ever since. Took it home, and took a maybe a minute to realize what the problem was...needed a new shaft belt, a 7 dollar belt from Lowes, and I had a perfect snow blower for only 11 bucks. Some people just amaze me...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    This won't be the first time I'll be living in a house that we own, but it's going to be my first home. We've got two lawn mowers, trimmers, edgers, a chainsaw, snow blower. There won't be a whole lot of new stuff, but there will be a lot more grass to cut. Good thing I just bought a new Craftsman lawnmower...finally made the move to a self-propelled lawnmowers.
    I picked up a snowblower not to long ago at a garage sale for only 5 bucks. The seller said he couldn't get the arm lever to engage the blades, and that it's been broken ever since. Took it home, and took a maybe a minute to realize what the problem was...needed a new shaft belt, a 7 dollar belt from Lowes, and I had a perfect snow blower for only 11 bucks. Some people just amaze me...
    I see...sounds like you're very well prepared!

Nice buy on the snow-blower!!!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Congratulations!

Not all newly built homes are made with cheap materials. It depends on the builder I guess.
    I'm 100% sure that this is true somewhere else, and maybe for more $$, but where I live, and cities around me, the new developments are largely owned by Ryan Homes, Drees Homes, K. Hovnanian Homes, and a few others. They largely compete with one another, and end up building houses cheaply to compete against the used housing market. I know it might sound a little hard to believe, but we were given tours of new houses from all builders I mentioned, and when they showed their "model home" you would feel like dropping a deposit on their feet. Then they would show you an actual house that was ready, and you wouldn't have enough fingers to count mistakes that were obvious to a biased buyer...who naturally views a new home as being nice. When I would bring up a problem, they would say "we can worry about that when negotiating the deal." Yeah right!!!! A new house shouldn't need fixing. It should be perfect already. That actually really ruined my experience with new houses because, in my mind, I was expecting a new house to simply be perfect, like a brand new car.

You can always accelerate your payments to pay it off sooner, once your income goes up.
    I have it set up right now with my bank(they gave me the loan) to pay half of the month's mortgage every 2 weeks automatically. It doesn't actually make a huge difference in money going out of your bank, and you make one whole extra months payment in one year, almost without noticing.
    I'm 100%

Your Mac's Specs
    Nice buy on the snow-blower!!!

- Nick
    Snow-blower!!!

I'm the only guy on the block who owns a snow shovel, and I use mine to tamp out grass fires when burning leaves.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    Snow-blower!!!

I'm the only guy on the block who owns a snow shovel, and I use mine to tamp out grass fires when burning leaves.
    Yeah...you must have brought that with you when you lived further north. Just think how impressed your neighbors will be, if you ever get enough snow to shovel!

Heck...you'll be able to rent it out...and pay the mortgage with the snow shovel rental money that month!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah...you must have brought that with you when you lived further north. Just think how impressed your neighbors will be, if you ever get enough snow to shovel!
    True . . . I've had the same snow shovel for 35 years now, first purchased in snowy Kansas.

Heck...you'll be able to rent it out...and pay the mortgage with the snow shovel rental money that month!

- Nick
    Unfortunately not. We rarely get more than an inch of snow, some years none. But, occasionally we will get a foot of snow in one storm. When we do it never stays on the ground more than a day or two, so people just wait for it to melt.

Anyway, sorry Iggy for the thread hijack and congrats again on the house.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    Unfortunately not. We rarely get more than an inch of snow, some years none. But, occasionally we will get a foot of snow in one storm. When we do it never stays on the ground more than a day or two, so people just wait for it to melt.
    I was only teasing...I know what you're saying. I lived in Georgia for a couple years.

- Nick

Thread Information