Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 677
  1. #601
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    pigoo3,
    Thank you!
    Seems like a very nice bunch here.

  2. #602
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    27,044
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    Thanks cwa107!
    From what I read on "About This Mac", it says memory is upgradeable and points me to url about what modules to buy
    Oh, btw, I did forget to mention this is the mid 2012 model.
    Excellent! in my view, 2012 was the pinnacle for Mac hardware. After that, it all went downhill.... non-upgradeable, non-serviceable, mostly glued together.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #603
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Excellent! in my view, 2012 was the pinnacle for Mac hardware. After that, it all went downhill.... non-upgradeable, non-serviceable, mostly glued together.
    If that's the case, I'm very glad I bought this one. Just some learning to do
    However, the rest of what you said isn't so good in my mind.

  4. #604
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    27,044
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    If that's the case, I'm very glad I bought this one. Just some learning to do
    However, the rest of what you said isn't so good in my mind.
    Yes, well, I'm the resident party pooper. I'm an old school hardware guy and in my view, Apple is intent on building cost-reduced, sealed appliances at ever-burgeoning profit margins. This is what you get when the company is run by the head bean counter, rather than the visionary that ran it before.

    That said, the software is still wonderful, the hardware is pretty sleek and you will find a great group of folks here to help get you oriented. I'll stop griping before someone ends up calling me a troll
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #605
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    lol, not a problem with me
    I've built and repaired more older pc's than I care to count.
    Started with a C=64, then 128, then Amiga's, the OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, then finally a pc. Hated M$ stuff so went to FreeBSD and then OpenBSD.
    So, I've seen a lot of systems and hardware over the years Just didn't want to spend the money for Apple/Mac.

    So, back to playing/learning about my "new" mac

  6. #606
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    27,044
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska61 View Post
    lol, not a problem with me
    I've built and repaired more older pc's than I care to count.
    Started with a C=64, then 128, then Amiga's, the OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, then finally a pc. Hated M$ stuff so went to FreeBSD and then OpenBSD.
    So, I've seen a lot of systems and hardware over the years Just didn't want to spend the money for Apple/Mac.

    So, back to playing/learning about my "new" mac
    Sounds familiar. I too cut my teeth on a C64, moved up to a string of Amigas, starting with a 600, then a 2000 and eventually a 4000 that I used right up into '99 or so. Today, I even have an Amiga 1200 in near mint condition that I managed to score from a local friend who got it from some kind of government surplus.

    Glad to have another old-school hacker here on M-F
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #607
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    btw- I still have my CBM things here, and all in working order...from C64 to Amiga 4000 desktop . I absolutely love them.
    The 4000 is sitting on my desk right now, and gets used at times.
    However, I'll be moving soon, and will have to try sell them.
    Last edited by Alaska61; 03-07-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add info

  8. #608
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    12,432
    Rep Power
    20
    I think my first project will be finding extra ram for it.
    Any way, that's how I became an owner and user of a Mac

    Welcome to mac-forums Mike, and my apologies for correcting you with your first post, but your first project will actually be to find out if that Mac actually even needs more RAM.

    Hint: Activity Monitor.app (Utilities folder) > "swap" section. 0(zero) would be excellent!!

    More info if you need it under the Help(menu) topics and of course the mac-forums.

    BTW: What part of Alaska are you in??? And they can sure serve some delicious fish and chips up there!!!


    - Patrick
    ======

  9. #609
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Jonzjob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location
    Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire England
    Posts
    861
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD
    Rep Power
    10
    Hi Al, and welcome from me too

    If you go to the Crucial site and trype in the details of your MBP it will tell you what you can do. I too recomend them and that's what I have in my MBP and iMac.

    You didn't give any details of what is in yours? I have a mid 2010 MBP and it had a DV read/wrote drive in it. I swopped it out and put a Crucial 1/2 tb SSD in as the boot/OS disk and moved the SSHD 1 tb hybrid dosk in the place of the DV drive. It certainly works for me and if I ever get my act together I will make it work better by a tidy up session

    Good luck with it!
    John.
    Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
    http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
    MBP and iMac on High Sierra.

  10. #610
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Welcome to mac-forums Mike, and my apologies for correcting you with your first post, but your first project will actually be to find out if that Mac actually even needs more RAM.

    Hint: Activity Monitor.app (Utilities folder) > "swap" section. 0(zero) would be excellent!!

    More info if you need it under the Help(menu) topics and of course the mac-forums.

    BTW: What part of Alaska are you in??? And they can sure serve some delicious fish and chips up there!!!


    - Patrick
    ======
    Hi Patrick.
    Well, while installing some software and using other software at same time, it dropped to a crawl speed. I don't know all the Mac apps that compare to windows/unix type systems, so had to download and install apps I knew, including libreoffice. Now trying to find something similar to gnucash and mail apps.
    I'm on the Kenai Peninsula. We first moved here in '61. Spent some time in OR, ID, and MI. However, due to retirement, may soon be moving again :/
    Retired and loving every second of it!

  11. #611
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzjob View Post
    Hi Al, and welcome from me too

    If you go to the Crucial site and trype in the details of your MBP it will tell you what you can do. I too recomend them and that's what I have in my MBP and iMac.

    You didn't give any details of what is in yours? I have a mid 2010 MBP and it had a DV read/wrote drive in it. I swopped it out and put a Crucial 1/2 tb SSD in as the boot/OS disk and moved the SSHD 1 tb hybrid dosk in the place of the DV drive. It certainly works for me and if I ever get my act together I will make it work better by a tidy up session

    Good luck with it!

    Thanks for the info John.
    I have a mid 2012 MBP with 4g ram and 500g hd. Just a while ago, I got a popup about a free upgrade, so clicked it. Now have Mojave installed. Guess that's better
    I don't do all that I used to, so having 8g ram will be plenty for my daily use. I do generally have several apps open during the day.
    Retired and loving every second of it!

  12. #612
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    12,432
    Rep Power
    20
    @Mike
    I have a mid 2012 MBP with 4g ram and 500g hd.

    Which 2012 MBPro model do you have??

    I thought most of those MBPro models came with 8GB RAM standard.



    - Patrick
    ======

  13. #613
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,582
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    Welcome Mike. Always glad to have a new face rumbling around the place.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  14. #614
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    carlhataway's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 17, 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    106
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
    Rep Power
    6
    Welcome Mike, look at "macsales.com" for your memory sticks.
    Mac Pro 5.1,Dual 2.4GHz Xeon,10.13.6,4x6TB WDRedProHD,4x6TBExt.WDHD,USB3.0,128GB Memory,HD5870,Logitech Z-906 5.1THX Certified500/1000watt Dolby Sound System,ASUS Xonar U7 USB sound card connecting with Fiber Optic SPDIF,1st OpticalBay SuperDrive,2ndBay Pioneer BD-RW-208 BDK, ATI HD5870, Dual 32" HDTV as monitors

  15. #615
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2019
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @Mike



    Which 2012 MBPro model do you have??

    I thought most of those MBPro models came with 8GB RAM standard.



    - Patrick
    ======
    well, you got me on that one. I thot that was the model.
    Retired and loving every second of it!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. hello need to introduce
    By thevoyager in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2014, 10:11 AM
  2. Need to introduce server
    By Graham Wright in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
  3. May I Introduce .....
    By hughvane in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •