Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to the Forums. We have members here from many parts of the world, so it's a 24 hour service.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac (late 2015), 8GB, 1TB Fusion, AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB, Magic Keyboard & Mouse
    Hi, it's Woz.
    Don't hate on the name. It's been my nick name forever, and my father's, and grand father's, etc. No relation to Steve, BTW. Darn.

I'm coming from decades of DOS/Windows use. I'm still a Windows user at work and at home on my video editing PC (Edius Pro). I use the tool needed for the job, no OS loyalty here.

I am enjoying my first iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, Fusion drive) after spending the last few years using iPads and iPods. My older child is taking a great interest in the film/media field, and the school uses Macs in those classes. I figured it would be a good investment to bring a Mac into the home, so he could experience video production on PCs and Macs.

I'll be a lurker for some time before asking any questions, as I'm sure most of my questions have already been answered in this forum.
    Last edited by Woz; 12-22-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    Remember the days when you could sit down without making sound effects? Yeah...good times.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Woz

Welcome. Good to have you join us.

It would never occur to me or any other member here to deride someone's name Good on you.

You seem to have a very similar iMac to my latest other than I have the 1TB SSD.

So, you are in good hands. Ask away; but also visit regularly. It's amazing how much you can pick up from other people's problems.

Ian
    Ian

Howda...

Just now joined to give a little back to the community. Added to a post on a rather involved malware Pop Up scheme.

Thanks for all the help over the years, and times I've used this forum and don't remember. : )

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Welcome Woz and Joel K. You should find a lot of useful info and helpful folks here.

@Woz. Are you sure there's no relation? Oh well, guess that means no Apple swag for the moderation team.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Welcome everyone. Visit often & post frequently!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac (late 2015), 8GB, 1TB Fusion, AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB, Magic Keyboard & Mouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Welcome Woz and Joel K. You should find a lot of useful info and helpful folks here.

@Woz. Are you sure there's no relation? Oh well, guess that means no Apple swag for the moderation team.
    I'm positive. Back in the day, I would get asked that question every time I visited a Radio Shack. I'm showing my age, aren't I?
    Remember the days when you could sit down without making sound effects? Yeah...good times.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    I'm positive. Back in the day, I would get asked that question every time I visited a Radio Shack. I'm showing my age, aren't I?
    Hi Woz - welcome to the forum! I used to love visiting Radio Shack for many reasons, but their decline is sad (one of many graphs that could be found shown below) - but please participate in the forum - plenty of great people here and feel free to post - there are no stupid questions, just those that are not asked - Dave
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 9.15.19 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Hi all! I'm a retired IT consultant doing some web sites to keep my mind in computers. I enjoy photography birds and travel. I've been a long time use of Macs and iPhoto. I'm hoping to learn a lot about both in this forum. I hope I'm in the right thread to introduce myself.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Welcome Richinwalla.

Yes…this is the right place.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Hi. I'm Jill from the UK.

Hubby just got me a second-hand iMac 27-inch. I've been using a PC for a few decades now, but am quickly coming to grips with the differences! I've always been into graphics and the difference between PC and Mac is, well, WOW! Sadly, I only just found out that CorelDraw don't do a Mac version I really don't want to put Windows on my Mac so will simply use our PC laptop for that and a couple of other programs that don't do Mac.

Thanks for this forum - it's great!

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Jill

A warm welcome to the Forums.

Whilst I'm not into Corel Draw, the following links provide what others consider possible Mac alternatives:

http://alternativeto.net/software/co.../?platform=mac
    https://blog.udemy.com/illustrator-alternative/
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4244674?tstart=0
    http://formac.informer.com/coreldraw-graphics-suite

Obviously, there is some overlap between the sites, but there might be something there that is worth a look.

I'm also from the UK. Enjoy your Mac.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks Ian! I'll certainly check those out!

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Macbook Pro (March 2015) base model
    hello
    Hey everyone, I am Jared from the US (eastern NC).

I am a software engineering graduate student, father of 2 (soon to be 3) and I am finishing up my enlistment in the Air Force. I was a die-hard Windows and Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) PC user for my 25 years on this planet and last summer my wife really wanted the new MacBook so I got her one as an anniversary present. Well I used it a few times and couldn't help really liking it so I finally bit the bullet and bought a 13" MacBook Pro with retina display. So far I love it and I don't think I will be going to Windows anytime soon, especially after the frankensystem that was Win8.

Regards,

Jared

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt90 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am Jared from the US (eastern NC).

I am a software engineering graduate student, father of 2 (soon to be 3) and I am finishing up my enlistment in the Air Force. I was a die-hard Windows and Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) PC user for my 25 years on this planet and last summer my wife really wanted the new MacBook so I got her one as an anniversary present. Well I used it a few times and couldn't help really liking it so I finally bit the bullet and bought a 13" MacBook Pro with retina display. So far I love it and I don't think I will be going to Windows anytime soon, especially after the frankensystem that was Win8.
    Hi Jared - welcome to the forum! I'm in Piedmont, NC (Winston Salem), now retired from an academic position at the Wake Forest Medical School - started out on an Apple II+ in 1980, then our department switched to PCs which I was on for over 3 decades - now in retirement, wife & I are now an ALL-Apple family (iPads, iPhone, iMac, & MBPro, the latter for me + an Apple Extreme Router) - hope that you enjoy - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information