Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Unhappy A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!
    Twenty-five years and 70 pounds ago I belonged to a running club in Boston. Needless to so the years and reduced activity have taken their toll, plus last year was basically lost due to health issues.
    Now, I'm trying to get back in shape and it isn't easy. Just finished five miles (barely). I know it will get easier, but that's hard to believe right about now.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
    Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact.

The fact that you were a runner back in the day ( ) I hope that you know that you need to start of slow, so as to not risk any injury! Good luck, and good running!
    Facebook|Twitter
    If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Hey...you're talking about one of my other "passions" (other than Macintosh computers)...competitive running. I'm known to run anywhere from 50-100 or more miles/week...and I usually run 2-3 marathons each year (among other race distances).

I did have an injury a while back which required me to stop running for a period of time (which certainly isn't the first time this has happened)...and thus I'm currently in the "getting back into shape" mode. And believe me...it takes me no time at all to slap on 5-10 pounds...and to notice a BIG decrease in my endurance & cardiovascular fitness!

From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Pffft.. You guys should see ME run...

To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact . . .
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I actually tried biking for a while but where I live narrow roads, pickup trucks and stray dogs combine to make biking both hazardous and less fun than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).

- Nick
    Nick,
    I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
    If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.
    We'll see,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    Pffft.. You guys should see ME run... To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

LOL
    I've too much running like that recently myself.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
    If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.
    Ahh...sounds great that you're following a program. Much better than trying to figure things out yourself. Those 1.5-2.5 mile workouts during the week are certainly doable at this stage...5 miles as a weekend long run provides just enough challenge to keep things interesting, without too much injury risk...(and gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when done)!!!

Good luck with the program,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
    Hey man, keep at it. I am a notorious yo-yo exerciser. I'll go religiously for six months or so, and then I'll get busy (I work a FT job, go to school FT, and do Army Reserve 1 weekend a month.) and quit going for a while. It's AMAZING how fast the human body gets out of shape, especially considering how hard it is to get INTO good shape. The best advice I can give is to never quit. The hard work is sooo worth it. And running is one of the most fun things in the world. I'm currently training for a half marathon here in Columbia :-)

Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I'm with you on this!! Seems every year near Christmas - I stop working out for some reason - either a lingering virus...or something - and then March comes - and it's like starting all over again. Every year older - it becomes that much more difficult to get back to where I was... but here goes nothing...again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
    Yeah man. I gotta start running and shed this beer gut! You can't be fat during the summer when you live in South Carolina :-D BEACH TIME!!!!!!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me. I was fit in my army days doing a 5Klm run in 18:10 (my best time ever) and cant for the life of me do it now

Keep it up Razor bc once it is off it is easy to keep off IMHO . . . . . . . .

Its not the way i look within my body, bc if you ask me i look good but 'knowing'
    im unfit is what gets me. Has been 16 yrs since i have run/done anything and will pain me not being able to keep up with my boy in yrs to come . . . . . . .

Well done i envy you both

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me. . . ..
    I honestly can't say much of it is fun right now, but trying to keep going!

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I honestly can't say much of it is fun right now, but trying to keep going!
    But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers
    True.
    In the past, generally when I got to the point I could reasonably run 8 miles in less than an hour it became fun. And the faster and fitter I got the more I enjoyed it. I'm hoping that will be true again.

Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode.

Your Mac's Specs
    Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode.

Nice thanks for that. Have fun then lol and hope you reach your goals sooner rather than later.
    Should keep this thread as a diary of sorts and post your times over the months and then the world can see how ya doing. And if anything, it could be good motivation as you dont want to be looking like your slacking in front of the community lol
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information