Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Forum Software

Forum Software

Forum Software
    I'm wondering how the various forum software packages stack up against one another. There are a bunch of them out there and it is difficult to compare them, they don't install/test easily. Are there any written reviews available?
    www.dynostep.com
    engine simulation software

Forum Software
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Well, did you search for reviews, or are you just hoping someone who just did that will read this?

There are some really backwards ones out there. (Go over to the "new" Cnet Mac Forum, for one!) The basic functions are so similar on most that the only things separating them are small features. IMO FWIW

Forum Software

Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Well, did you search for reviews, or are you just hoping someone who just did that will read this?

There are some really backwards ones out there. (Go over to the "new" Cnet Mac Forum, for one!) The basic functions are so similar on most that the only things separating them are small features. IMO FWIW
    I was hoping that someone who had actually administered forums would have some feedback on why they chose what they did. This is very different from online reviews that give superficial feedback based on a half hour of exposure. And it is very different from someone who has merely subscribed to a forum and made a few casual observations about how it feels from a subscriber's perspective compared to others.
    www.dynostep.com

Forum Software
    Your Mac's Specs
    eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
    SMF is very simple and fast loading. I really like it, but it can be a little bit of a hassle if you want custom mods for it.
    "Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
    But your innocence is all I have"

Forum Software
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    What kind of features are you looking for? What kind of customizability are you looking to have? How many people (figuratively) are you looking to support? Sorry for answering with questions but it will help to have a better sense of what you'll be doing.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Forum Software

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    What kind of features are you looking for? What kind of customizability are you looking to have? How many people (figuratively) are you looking to support? Sorry for answering with questions but it will help to have a better sense of what you'll be doing.
    My plan is to use the forum to help support a web app. Users could post questions about how to use the app, how to interpret results, suggest improvements, etc. It won't be a large community, especially at first and I don't expect nor want a lot of complexity - it will need to be fairly easy to maintain. Of the forums I use I think most all of them have features I need with no glaring omissions, so ease of administration will be a key point.

I'm presently learning PHP so one of the PHP-based forums may be a choice.

Other than that, not having administered a forum before, I can't add much.
    www.dynostep.com

Forum Software

I've set up my forum on SMF. Install went well and it seems like a pretty good package. I'll report back on any further pluses or minuses.
    www.dynostep.com

Thread Information