Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Do you still use a land line?

www.dynostep.com
    engine simulation software

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
    Ha! I love Dilbert.

We still have a landline in our household, but I never ever use it. I have my cell phone with me 24/7, and is on even while I'm sleeping (alarm). I know of some people, including my teachers, that have dropped their landline phones and use cell phones as their house phone.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    I would never be without a landline in my home. Cell phones are too fickle. In the event of an emergency, I want to know for sure that I can call 911, regardless of the state of the cell network or whether my battery is charged.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Yes. It's less expensive than a cell phone. But, for an extra 5 bucks, we can add a cell phone to an existing Family Plan to have for road emergencies or other times when we "need" a mobile phone.

Some college housing (university and private) no longer has a land line for each room since so many (most? all?) students have cell phones.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Yep, I keep only the basic service. It's like $8.50 which grows to $20 after the 10 or 12 different taxes get added to it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    yes, but I also use modems on a daily basis.

Even if I didn't have the modem requirement.... which cell's flat out suck for...

I'd still be stuck with a land line, or I'd have to go walk into the street to use the phone.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Your Mac's Specs
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    As CWA said I would not be without a land line.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
    Landline free since 2003. My back-up is my parents house if I have any problems with my cell. Landline to me is another bill that I don't need to afford.

Your Mac's Specs
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    A what? I've been cell only since I first got it in 05. I've never paid for my own landline phone except as a formality to have DSL installed. We never plugged a phone into that land line.

Your Mac's Specs
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Yes, we have package deals here with Broadband, and we get free calls to geographic numbers.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Your Mac's Specs
     13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
    Yes, but only for calling international numbers (which is never) . Since i've been on contract i've not had to worry about keeping credit so i've just been using my mobile for phonecalls.
     13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
     iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 

I got my first cell phone in 1996. I have been completely landline-free since 2002.

The argument about using one if there is a huge emergency where the cell phone network is down is moot to me, since at that point calling 911 would be futile as it would be overloaded with other callers, and the emergency response teams would also be overloaded. Of course, I live in southern california, so when I think of disasters I am thinking of major ones Plus I'm rarely at home anyway.

Your Mac's Specs
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Yes, I do. The sound quality is better, the service is more reliable, the battery never runs out, and you can use it to call your cell phone when you lose it in the couch cushions.

Quote Originally Posted by mostro View Post
    The argument about using one if there is a huge emergency where the cell phone network is down is moot to me, since at that point calling 911 would be futile as it would be overloaded with other callers, and the emergency response teams would also be overloaded.
    Some people like to be in touch with their loved ones in times of crisis.

Your Mac's Specs
    iPad & iphone 3G
    I currently dont have a land line and havent had one in a few years however I am having a friend setup a voip system at my house.

I am going to have a phone hooked up to it as a "house" phone.

The main sell though is that I am going to have some phone numbers on it forward to my cell phone so that when selling on craigs list, or buying on craigs list for that matter I can give out that number instead of my real cell phone number. This way I dont have to deal with those weirdos that save my number for whatever reason or I can know that the incoming call is about a craigs list add since I can adjust the caller ID the forwarded call would display to my phone. If I have any issues with someone calling a lot I can also simply delete the number off the system and it will no longer forward to my cell phone or anywhere for that matter.

If you havent messed around with a VOIP system yet I would strongly recommend it. Especially for your work place you can save $200-$300 a month pretty easily. It also has many great features that are extremely expensive or you cant get on a regular land line.

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I would never be without a landline in my home. Cell phones are too fickle. In the event of an emergency, I want to know for sure that I can call 911, regardless of the state of the cell network or whether my battery is charged.
    I couldn't agree more. Living in Southern California the earth occasionally decides to move of it's own accord and in an unpredictable manner. When these events occur, all of the cell towers withing a wide range of said activity tend to trip offline for safety reasons making the cell networks completely unusable. The last time this happened the land-line from my desk at work to my home functioned fine but the Cell networks (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile) were down for several hours.

I will never be without a land-line.

Thread Information