Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows

    Member Since
    May 18, 2020
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Exclamation Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    Hello,

    I don't know if I can post this question here but I would love if someone can help me out of this unrelated subject.

    Well, I have an HDD drive that I have been using with my Macbook (OS journaled), after that I removed that drive and plug it in a windows, then formatted it (NTFS) and installed windows 10 on it. After a period of use I wanted to recover some files such images and docs using a data recovery software from that drive. Do I can recover files that were copied when I was using the drive on macbook under windows or I need to to put it on mac again to recover that data?

    Any help will be appreciated, thank you

  2. #2
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,720
    Rep Power
    12
    If you reformatted the drive to NTFS I don't think there is any hope to recover any files of any kind that were saved when the drive had macOS installed.

  3. #3
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    jasongoldworthy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 28, 2017
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    304
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 32GB i7 2.25TB Fusion OSX 10.15.5 late 2012
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    If you reformatted the drive to NTFS I don't think there is any hope to recover any files of any kind that were saved when the drive had macOS installed.
    I agree with you krs

    normally once you format the drive again it does rewrite over the old files,

    especially if you have saved data over it,

    so in this case id say you shouldn't have formatted it in the beginning but hind site is a wonderful thing at times,

    so in this case id say your files are now lost and can't be recovered,
    iMac Late 2012 27"
    Intel Core i7 3770 32GB Ram
    2.25TB Apple Fusion Drive
    OSX 10.15.5

  4. #4
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows

    Member Since
    May 18, 2020
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Hello,

    Thank you for you replies.

  5. #5
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    jasongoldworthy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 28, 2017
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    304
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 32GB i7 2.25TB Fusion OSX 10.15.5 late 2012
    Rep Power
    3
    your welcome
    iMac Late 2012 27"
    Intel Core i7 3770 32GB Ram
    2.25TB Apple Fusion Drive
    OSX 10.15.5

  6. #6
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows

    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2020
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1
    It's almost impossible but still worth having a try. Firstly, all the data recovery tools are separated into Windows and Mac version - The Mac data recovery software only supports macOS default file systems like APFS, HFS, HFS+, HFSX. And the Windows version only supports NTFS, exFAT, FAT32, etc. Secondly, you've reformatted the HDD with NTFS and rewrite new data. The original data might be overwritten already. So the recovery success rate is very low.

    However, when you save new data on the HDD, those data will be stored randomly. It's possible some of the previous data hasn't been written over. My suggestion is to try data recovery on your Mac computer. From my own experience, iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac is awesome. The deep scan function has saved my files for times. But it is $$$. You can follow this guide: [Solved] How to recover lost data from formatted APFS encrypted drive?

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    8,398
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Rep Power
    24
    Agreed with yuanyasmine. Formatting a drive doesn't automatically render data unrecoverable, but it does add challenges to recovery. Even overwriting data once doesn't make it "impossible" if one had the tools and talent to do the recovery. That's why 3 and 7-pass security wipes are options when formatting a drive... to really REALLY make it hard to recover anything.

    If the data is important enough, it may be worth looking into recovery software. I have no opinion on the one yuanyasmine mentioned. I've used Disk Drill to recover deleted files in the past and it works quite well, but I don't know about recovery from partitions that have been re-formatted also.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  8. #8
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    60,524
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    56
    That's why 3 and 7-pass security wipes are options when formatting a drive... to really REALLY make it hard to recover anything.
    When I was working for the US Govt and we had drives with sensitive data on them that needed to be removed or replaced, the procedure was to do a security wipe 10 times. The drives were then sent to a special govt facility where they were destroyed.

    Nowadays, there are special forensic tools that can recover data from almost anything.

  9. #9
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,720
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by yuanyasmine View Post
    It's almost impossible but still worth having a try. Firstly, all the data recovery tools are separated into Windows and Mac version - The Mac data recovery software only supports macOS default file systems like APFS, HFS, HFS+, HFSX. And the Windows version only supports NTFS, exFAT, FAT32, etc. Secondly, you've reformatted the HDD with NTFS and rewrite new data. The original data might be overwritten already. So the recovery success rate is very low.
    I don't see how any commercial data recovery could even work.
    The data was written when the drive was formatted as HFS+, but now the drive is formatted as NTFS - so which data recovery software does one use - I assume the Windows version.
    So does that mean one could possibly only recover usable data that the windows recovery software can read?

  10. #10
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,720
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Nowadays, there are special forensic tools that can recover data from almost anything.
    Yes - if you have the deep, deep pockets.
    US Government - no problem, US MacUser - not so much.

    However, raised a question in my mind.
    The data recovery process from a magnetic medium has been developed and fine-tuned over the years so that even overwritten data can possibly be recovered, but what is the situation with an SSD?
    Once data is deleted and those memory cells on the SSD have been cleared - how is it possible to retrieve the previous states. I would think data recovery on an SSD is much more complicated and less successful than on a traditional spinner hard drive.

  11. #11
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows

    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2020
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I don't see how any commercial data recovery could even work.
    The data was written when the drive was formatted as HFS+, but now the drive is formatted as NTFS - so which data recovery software does one use - I assume the Windows version.
    So does that mean one could possibly only recover usable data that the windows recovery software can read?
    All the data recovery software will find lost data according to both the file path and file system. If you use the Windows data recovery software, it will recognize the NTFS drive and scan for lost data based on this file system. But sucrey wants to find data on the previous HFS+ drives, so I don't think the scanning results will be satisfying.

    Although Mac data recovery doesn't support NTFS, I've connected my NTFS external hard drive and tried iBoysoft Data Recovery, the software can detect the drive but show this disk file system as unknown. So you can still choose the NTFS drive with the Mac version.

  12. #12
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    jasongoldworthy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 28, 2017
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    304
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 32GB i7 2.25TB Fusion OSX 10.15.5 late 2012
    Rep Power
    3
    the problem we are all forgetting here guys is that if the drive has been written with new files especially in NTFS then they could potentially be gone,

    yes krs is correct the problem here is that it was a HFS+ drive and its now an NTFS drive we don't know what the OP has put on the drive since then

    he could have over written the data 50 times with new data again we don't know this for a fact, he did go to say that he installed windows on the drive and as you all know it is always reading and writing to the drive so again the data may be gone,

    to be honest id call it a lost cause and just consider the data gone forever,

    my 2 pence worth there,

  13. #13
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    8,398
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongoldworthy View Post
    the problem we are all forgetting here guys is that if the drive has been written with new files especially in NTFS then they could potentially be gone,

    yes krs is correct the problem here is that it was a HFS+ drive and its now an NTFS drive we don't know what the OP has put on the drive since then

    he could have over written the data 50 times with new data again we don't know this for a fact, he did go to say that he installed windows on the drive and as you all know it is always reading and writing to the drive so again the data may be gone,

    to be honest id call it a lost cause and just consider the data gone forever,

    my 2 pence worth there,
    Yeah, I overlooked that he mentioned he had installed Windows 10 on it and used it for a bit. If he had simply reformatted the drive, recovery "technically" should still be possible although practical or affordable is a whole different matter. It'd be a good question to kick to the developer of one of these commercial apps. CleverFiles for example (the developer of Disk Drill), offers a mail-in data recovery service for extreme situations. Actually, I will send them an email asking them for their 2 cents. In any event, I'm with you on this... even if the data is "technically" recoverable, it would require an expert and loads of cash.

    EDIT: I sent an email to CleverFiles to confirm, but meanwhile, if I am interpreting their description of the Deep Scan feature of Disk Drill, then yes, it should be possible to recover certain file types even after formatting.

    What File Formats Can Disk Drill Recover?
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 05-29-2020 at 12:51 PM.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  14. #14
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    60,524
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    56
    I believe it was Randy that found a very good but inexpensive data recovery service. I can't find his original post about this but perhaps he will see this thread and comment. I will make sure to stick (paste) that post somewhere so we will be able to find it again.

  15. #15
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,847
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I believe it was Randy that found a very good but inexpensive data recovery service. I can't find his original post about this but perhaps he will see this thread and comment. I will make sure to stick (paste) that post somewhere so we will be able to find it again.
    I believe this is it, https://www.300dollardatarecovery.org
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery after erasing the data
    By bobbybal in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM
  2. Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - Recovery with file names
    By raba in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 12:33 PM
  3. data recovery?
    By cabeatty in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
  4. Data Recovery
    By reDORAnge in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
  5. Data recovery
    By to_tough_to_die in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •