Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Data recovery from Mac under Windows
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Yeah, that's it. Thanks Bob. Now to find a place to paste it permanently.

Edit: Posted in the "Members Discount Forum" as a Sticky post and closed thread.
    Last edited by chscag; 05-29-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added info to post.

Why not create a new category - "Recommended Macintosh Resources" or something like that.
    There could also be aan equivalent for iPhones/iPads etc.

There are a lot of excellent resources/suggestions throughout this forum, but they are often hard to find.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for the suggestion. For now though, it's in the "Members Discount" forum.

We will certainly take your suggestion under consideration.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Ok, here's the response I got from CleverFiles when inquiring as to whether or not their software (Disk Drill) could recover files after a drive has been formatted to another file system:

Every recovery case is unique, depends on thousands of parameters. The only way to verify your files are recoverable is downloading Disk Drill, running the scan, locating the files in question and previewing them to verify the content. What you will see in Disk Drill Basic will be exactly what can be recovered: Download Free Disk Drill Data Recovery for Windows

More technical details to explain this can be found here: Can You Guarantee That I Can Recover A Specific File with Disk Drill?

5 Simple Steps to Recover Deleted Files on Mac: YouTube

If there was Data overwriting there is a slight chance that some of the files might be damaged, I will suggest to run the scan and make sure you can find and preview the files.

If no preview is available this indicates the file would not be guaranteed for recovery. While it may be possible to recover the files successfully, upgrading would be at your own risk with this understanding.
    So basically, not an outright "yes", but clearly not an outright "no" either. I do think the likelihood in the case here is EXTREMELY slim given the usage scenario, but since their software can be used for free to see "if" anything is potentially recoverable, I'd say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.

Just for laughs, I think I'll run a trial of it on a thumb drive to verify recovery can be done after a simple re-format to another file system.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I just did a test run of Disk Drill. I took a USB thumb drive that I've used for a variety of needs over the years, but was at that moment formatted in ExFAT and empty. I formatted it in HFS+; copied over a movie in MKV format, a folder of desktop wallpaper in jpg format, and folder of m4a music tracks. I then rebooted into Windows; re-formatted the USB drive as NTFS; then rebooted back into macOS. I ran Disk Drill on this thumb drive, still formatted as NTFS and "empty". The results? HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL! Not only did it find ALL of my test files, but I was able to validate even in the free version that the JPGs were good (it uses Quick Look). The music tracks? All there, WITH the cover art visible in quick look. Same for my video, which also had embedded cover art.

But that's not all! It found a plethora of other files, including some RTF documents that were readable using Quick Look and referenced High Sierra. I've used this thumb drive previously as a High Sierra bootable installer, so that's where those came from. But WOW! Given that, and that this drive was last formatted in ExFAT before my little trial, the drive was reformatted AT LEAST 3 times since used as that installer. What's more? I only scanned the partition, not the whole drive. The partition is formatted for the whole drive, but DD says it might be able to find more recoverable files by doing a deep scan on the entire drive. Check out screen grabs below. First are caps of the Finder contents before I formatted it. Then Disk Drill's results after scanning the reformatted and "empty" drive (again, it's an NTFS-formatted drive at this point, but I'm running DD in macOS); and a couple Quick Look caps of what it found.

screenshot_11.jpgscreenshot_12.jpgscreenshot_14.jpgscreenshot_15.jpgscreenshot_16.jpg

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for running that test. Quite amazing considering how many times you formatted and overwrote files on that thumb drive. If a commercial user program such as Disk Drill is that good, can you imagine how good the forensic tools are that our law enforcement folks use?

The only way not to have your data recovered if it's sensitive is to completely destroy the drive.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Nice job LB. Not east I would have expected given some of my previous attempts at data recovery. My luck certainly wasn't that good when I accidentally erased a GB or two of data.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I just did a test run of Disk Drill.
    Next time try the recovery after a few days, with the drive connected to the Mac?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Next time try the recovery after a few days, with the drive connected to the Mac?
    Not sure what the difference would be. It's a thumb drive that's not going to see regular use. And as demonstrated, it did pull files erased long ago.

------
    ------

Thread Information