Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Win 10 Upgrade gives black screen, need help.
    I am running Win 10 on my iMac using Parallels 14. The latest Win 10 upgrade resulted in a flickering screen. The advice in the pop up said increase graphics memory to 512Mb. I stopped the virtual machine and then changed the drop down selection in control centre to 512Mb. On restart the Windows screen went black. I managed to get back in and stop the VM and reset the display memory to Auto for Retina. On restart I still have a black screen where Windows should be. The Mac applications are running OK. I have tried everything else I know but no joy. I am afraid that I might screw up the Mac altogether if I carry on blindly changing settings. Anyone got a fix for this scenario?

    Pete

  2. #2
    Win 10 Upgrade gives black screen, need help.
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    6,697
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    13
    Can you provide basic information like;

    Which Mac (OS version, Mac model, specs & year) are you using?
    Which virtual app are you using?
    Can you allocate more memory than just 512, maybe 1GB (1024mb) or 1.5GB (1536mb)? Does that help?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  3. #3
    Win 10 Upgrade gives black screen, need help.
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,036
    Rep Power
    23
    What is your Memory setting under CPU & Memory, the Graphics is uses "system" memory which comes from this bigger pool. You should allocate a minimum of 2048 MB (2GB) to the machine and leave the Graphics memory as Auto to steal what it needs from that 2GB. If you are having graphics issues, bump up the system memory to 4096 MB (4GB).

    @Bob, the OP is using Parallels, which is also the app that I'm using. Just upgraded to Parallels 15 today and running Windows 10.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Can you provide basic information like;

    Which Mac (OS version, Mac model, specs & year) are you using?
    Which virtual app are you using?
    Can you allocate more memory than just 512, maybe 1GB (1024mb) or 1.5GB (1536mb)? Does that help?
    Thanks for the reply. I have a 27" iMac that is only 6 months old, running Mojave 10.4.6. I have a 1T SSD and 32GB of RAM.
    I am running Parallels 14 and Windows 10, the latest upgrade.

    I have the Display Graphics set to Auto as that is recommended. My CPU/Memory allocation is as shown on the attachment at 2048MB.

    Its still the same.

    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    What is your Memory setting under CPU & Memory, the Graphics is uses "system" memory which comes from this bigger pool. You should allocate a minimum of 2048 MB (2GB) to the machine and leave the Graphics memory as Auto to steal what it needs from that 2GB. If you are having graphics issues, bump up the system memory to 4096 MB (4GB).

    @Bob, the OP is using Parallels, which is also the app that I'm using. Just upgraded to Parallels 15 today and running Windows 10.
    Thanks for the reply. I have bumped the CPU/Memory value up to 4GB and no difference

    Pete

  6. #6
    Win 10 Upgrade gives black screen, need help.
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,036
    Rep Power
    23
    Was that a Windows 10 update or upgrade. Very different things. If just an update, these don't mess with the Parallels Toolbox for Windows that have been installed on Windows to give it access to all the virtual devices (GPU, Network, Sound, blah blah). If an upgrade, it is likely the tools were removed and you will need to re-install the toolbox. You can do that by clicking on the name of the VM in the menu bar and choosing Install Parallels Toolbox for Windows from there. Since this is an "automatic" thing that doesn't require you to do anything in Windows AND something that will restart the VM about 2 mins after the installation is done, it's OK if you are staring at a black screen through this process.

    So while the update should've left the toolbox alone, I would suggest you do a re-install anyway (it won't hurt anything) and see if things begin to work after the restart.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Was that a Windows 10 update or upgrade. Very different things. If just an update, these don't mess with the Parallels Toolbox for Windows that have been installed on Windows to give it access to all the virtual devices (GPU, Network, Sound, blah blah). If an upgrade, it is likely the tools were removed and you will need to re-install the toolbox. You can do that by clicking on the name of the VM in the menu bar and choosing Install Parallels Toolbox for Windows from there. Since this is an "automatic" thing that doesn't require you to do anything in Windows AND something that will restart the VM about 2 mins after the installation is done, it's OK if you are staring at a black screen through this process.

    So while the update should've left the toolbox alone, I would suggest you do a re-install anyway (it won't hurt anything) and see if things begin to work after the restart.
    Apologies for the confusion, it was an update. I hadn't started it for a while and when I did it said there were updates and started installing them. When it was finished that's when the blinking/black screen happened. I will have a look at the toolbox status
    Thanks
    Pete

  8. #8
    Win 10 Upgrade gives black screen, need help.
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,036
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteScR View Post
    Apologies for the confusion, it was an update. I hadn't started it for a while and when I did it said there were updates and started installing them. When it was finished that's when the blinking/black screen happened. I will have a look at the toolbox status
    Thanks
    Pete
    I also hadn't started my VM of Windows 10 for a month or so and when I did this morning, I was bombarded with about half a dozen updates that required a couple of restarts. In the midst of that I also upgraded Parallels from 14 to 15 which required the toolbox re-install and I didn't see any flickering or issues with my installation.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Was that a Windows 10 update or upgrade. Very different things. If just an update, these don't mess with the Parallels Toolbox for Windows that have been installed on Windows to give it access to all the virtual devices (GPU, Network, Sound, blah blah). If an upgrade, it is likely the tools were removed and you will need to re-install the toolbox. You can do that by clicking on the name of the VM in the menu bar and choosing Install Parallels Toolbox for Windows from there. Since this is an "automatic" thing that doesn't require you to do anything in Windows AND something that will restart the VM about 2 mins after the installation is done, it's OK if you are staring at a black screen through this process.

    So while the update should've left the toolbox alone, I would suggest you do a re-install anyway (it won't hurt anything) and see if things begin to work after the restart.
    Its strange, I reinstalled the Toolbox and it is asking me to pay or input authorisation code. I'll need to go and dig it out now

    Pete
    Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 08-22-2019 at 09:49 PM.

  10. #10
    I have reinstated Toolbox now so will give it a go.

    Pete

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 04:47 PM
  2. Macbook Pro screen goes black after apple logo screen
    By JCross in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 01:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •