Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ubuntu dual boot
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

However, my opinion is the same as that of our moderator RazOrEdge, and that is that Linux is over rated.
    Four years of Linux.. including a year, and a half, when XFCE version of Ubuntu was the only thing I could rum on the old and underpowered netbook (underpowered netbook, redundant, I know, I know!)... On the one hand I loved the tinkering, and customization, to make the 'puter look the way you want it to. On the other, I got SOOO sick and tired of having to do a lot of work, to try to get functionality that Mac (and even Windoze) starts with.

ubuntu dual boot
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    Four years of Linux.. including a year, and a half, when XFCE version of Ubuntu was the only thing I could rum on the old and underpowered netbook (underpowered netbook, redundant, I know, I know!)... On the one hand I loved the tinkering, and customization, to make the 'puter look the way you want it to. On the other, I got SOOO sick and tired of having to do a lot of work, to try to get functionality that Mac (and even Windoze) starts with.
    20 years of Linux, starting with Redhat 2.0, built Kernel 0.95 from scratch (took about 3 days, had to first build the compiler and libc), then went to Slackware, then SuSE and Debian and Mint and Arch and Fedora and (more that I can't remember) finally Ubuntu for a number of years starting with the first one Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog to 9.10 Karmic Koala at which point in time I switched over to Mac as my primary OS. Mind you, I was Linux as my primary desktop through all of this.

Since that time, I've used Ubuntu up to about 12.04 for work purposes or other things and then for the past few years, I've stopped since I don't need to use it anymore.

I've been through XFCE, TWM, FVWM, Enlightenment, Gnome, KDE, pure console only, i3, Compiz and a few more that I can't remember.

I've tinkered with the system to the worlds end customizing every part possible, have had 3D desktops because that was the nerdy cool thing to do. I've customized my editors to literally code for me.

So when I say customizing Linux is overrated or a waste of time, I'm not saying it frivolously, it's baked with decades worth of experience and knowledge.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Do you think Ubutnu would work faster in a Mac Air SD slot than on a USB for doing live sessions?

my macbook air has a SD slot. I dont really need it much so was thinking to make a Linux session boot card to run Ubuntu sessions from..
    Anyone have luck doing this? I thought it might be a little faster than booting from a USB drive.Anyone run other OS from a SD card slot
    on a Macbook?
    Last edited by chscag; 03-02-2019 at 02:56 AM.

ubuntu dual boot
    If it's a live session with no persistence, I can't imagine that it's going to be a big difference between using the SD slot or USB.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information