Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need to defrag a USB drive

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac book pro, 3.06Ghz intel core 2 due, 4gb memory,version 10.6.8 snow leopard
    Hi All,

I need to Defrag a USB drive but I cant find a tool for it and not sure if First Aid in Disk utility will do it.

Long Story Short I have a program on my USB drive and I need to defrag the drive so it will work in an old computer console, all videos on it use windows so need to see if there's a good/reliable tool for mac otherwise its the VirtualBox route.

cheers

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    How is the drive formatted? HFS+? exFAT? FAT? I don't know if winOS can defrag HFS+ formatted drives?

See here, https://coriolis-systems.com/support...-need-os-x-10x
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    How is the drive formatted? HFS+? exFAT? FAT? I don't know if winOS can defrag HFS+ formatted drives?

See here, https://coriolis-systems.com/support...-need-os-x-10x
    Thanks ferrarr

Its Fat 32

I'll give the download a try

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz cooke View Post
    I need to Defrag a USB drive but I cant find a tool for it and not sure if First Aid in Disk utility will do it.
    Should probably more specifiically define what sort of 'USB drive" this is. "USB" is an interface/port-type...not a type of drive. In theory this "USB drive" could be:

- An older style "spinner" hard drive.
    - A thumb drive/stick drive.
    - An external optical drive.
    - An external SDD.

If this happened to be an external SSD...it's not recommended to defrag SSD's.

I realize that very likely this is an external spinner HD. But in theory...a "USB Drive" could be a lot of different things.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Nick, I took USB drive to mean Thumb/Flash drive, but you're correct, clarification is needed.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    My bad, should of clarified in the original post. but yes its a USB thumb/flash

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The easiest way to do that for free is to copy everything off the thumb drive to your Mac, erase and reformat the thumb drive and then copy everything back to it. The files being put back will be defragged because the drive is empty and clean when you start.
    Jake

Why do you need a defrag the USB thumb drive to begin with?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Why do you need a defrag the USB thumb drive to begin with?
    I need to defrag it so a program will work on an old computer console

I need to defrag it so a program will work on an old computer console
    Why would the console care? The file table of the format you've chosen will keep track of the chunks of data and should allow access to everything. The situation where I see having contiguous data is important is if the data is being access in a raw manner bypassing the fat table.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Why would the console care? The file table of the format you've chosen will keep track of the chunks of data and should allow access to everything. The situation where I see having contiguous data is important is if the data is being access in a raw manner bypassing the fat table.
    Following instructions and it just said they need to be defragged for the program to work, did try it and the programs dont work so its now trying to defrag it

Following instructions and it just said they need to be defragged for the program to work, did try it and the programs dont work so its now trying to defrag it
    You've totally piqued my curiosity on this now (sorry, that's the engineer in me). What old console is this and what program, if you can share.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    You've totally piqued my curiosity on this now (sorry, that's the engineer in me). What old console is this and what program, if you can share.
    lol you didn't think your get this question today.

So its for a PS2, some of my games I have for the PS2 haven't been looked after, so will play up now and then. So I place one program on the USB thumb/flash drive which the PS2 recognises and brings up a menu, I have got the ISO/Program of my games from the CD's and have placed inside a folder the original program recognises. When i access the menu the games ISO/program appears but wont load and this is where the defrag comes in, I need to defrag the USB thumb/flash to make the games work.

Im hoping this all works lol

Thank you for the info. One thing to keep in mind is that with Flash based storage devices (USB flash drives, SSDs, MMC, eMMC, etc.) there is a thing called wear leveling that ensures that the flash parts all wear equally and no part fails before others reducing the available storage of the drive. Flash has a limited lifetime as it relates to erase cycles.

The cheapest USB flash drives will likely not have any wear leveling built in (and will rely on software to do that), but more expensive ones might. So again, if the PS2 is forcibly trying to read data in a contiguous manner, the wear leveling might not yield the result it wants.

Defragging would have no effect on this and technically defragging is bad for flash drives.
    Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 01-11-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you for the info. One thing to keep in mind is that with Flash based storage devices (USB flash drives, SSDs, MMC, eMMC, etc.) there is a thing called wear leveling that ensures that the flash parts are wear equally and no part fails before others reducing the available storage of the drive. Flash has a limited lifetime as it relates to erase cycles.

The cheapest USB flash drives will likely not have any wear leveling built in (and will rely on software to do that), but more expensive ones might. So again, if the PS2 is forcibly trying to read data in a contiguous manner, the wear leveling might not yield the result it wants.

Defragging would have no effect on this and technically defragging is bad for flash drives.
    thanks Raz0rEdge thats one of the downsides to doing it this way but cheaper in the long run plus I dont have room for storing game discs lol

Thread Information