Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

windows 8 public beta on a mac?
    I want to play some steam games that are windows only, and since a full install of windows 7 is $200 I figured I might try the windows 8 public beta when it comes out next week. Only problem is I don't know how exactly to get it, if it is free, and whether it will work. I've already seen articles on installing the developer preview through boot camp, and it sounds rather straightforward. I've also heard that any program that runs on 7 will run on 8.

If I can't get the games to work, I'd rather not bother, so does anyone have answers to my above questions? I know my friend (normally a linux user) was running windows 7 beta when it was still available, and that it was set to expire after the full release.

Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    My guess is you'll be wasting your time. First up, it's not a beta - it's a community preview which may or may not actually be beta quality (see here). Even if it was beta quality, it would still only be beta quality. Second, who knows how well (or more likely, how poorly) your video drivers will work. It's a bit of a gamble at this point as to what will or won't work. For instance, the VBox drivers didn't work in the dev preview and that was closer to Windows 7 (which is fully supported) than this build will be.

You could of course try it but my guess is you'll be spending more time fighting things than enjoying them.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I want to play some steam games that are windows only, and since a full install of windows 7 is $200
    Windows 7 Full Install, OEM System builder's version at Amazon.com = $99.99

LINK

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Sorry for the thread hijack/necromancy, but - Is it okay to use an OEM purchased copy of Windows in Bootcamp?

Not that I'm doubting you, chscag, but just want to make sure before I buy it!

(That fact it says system builder's version is causing me unnecessary doubts)
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

Not sure the above post is consistent but (1) it is fine to use an OEM System Builder version of windows on your Mac, and (2) the MS license agreement DOES NOT allow you to use it on more than one computer or transfer it, period. You can do that with a full retail install version but not an OEM version. And the above poster is confusing the "OEM" term relating to a "PC/Mac it didn't come with" to refer to those discs that ship from the manufacturers of Windows PCs (e.g., Dell or HP branded Windows discs). You CANNOT use those to install Windows on your Mac because, as noted, they will not likely work with your Mac as they are tweaked for the specific hardware and also it would violate the license agreement.

But you can (and we encourage) you to use the "OEM System Builder" versions of Windows as your Boot Camp or virtual machine installation versions because they are cheaper and will work fine with your Mac. the only limitation is, as I noted, that you can't transfer them from one machine to another under the EULA.

Cheers

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Brilliant, cheers, Sammy!

I don't mind about not transferring it - I'm going to install it on my MBP, and it can stay there as I have no interest in putting it on my iMac.

It's a good thing I can use it, because it's quite a lot cheaper than the normal version!

Many thanks, have some rep!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    +1 to what Sammy said. The OEM System Builder version (with the limitations that Sammy outlined) will work just fine.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD / 500GB HDD) & iPhone SE (64GB)
    One more point to consider is that the Windows 8 public betas - both the Developer Preview and Consumer Preview - probably have an in-built killswitch which will engage when the final retail editions go on sale...

And, on that note, I'm gonna go listen to Killswitch Engage
    For my purposes as an engineering graduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), macOS is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!

Thread Information