system crash believe to be software related??

hi,

hope someone can help, i have recently tried to upload panther onto my g4 imac but the system has crashed, the symptoms are as follows
    i have no use of the mouse (even when i use another mouse)
    the disc drive doesn't open unless i re-start
    when i try to load up classic it just sits there and the progress bar doesn't move

i have been using keyboard shortcuts trying t help rectify the problem when i load up itunes i can select a track to play but nothing happens not even the volume controls work!!!

last resort for me was to try the software restore program but when i actually get to put the disc in nothing happens!! i tried going to the disc utility and tried to open first aid but again nothing seems to respond.

i was wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone before or knows of a way out of this mess without having to call out an engineer??

Thanks For Reading

Rich

Your Mac's Specs
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Can you boot into single user terminal? (Restart holding Apple S) If so in there type /sbin/fsck -fy until the **files system changed** message stops showing after it has run

Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    Can you boot into single user terminal? (Restart holding Apple S) If so in there type /sbin/fsck -fy until the **files system changed** message stops showing after it has run
    i was able to go inyto the single user terminal i did wat you suggested and it stated that the hard drive was repaired, but after logging out and going back into the start up screen nothing has changed, i think this could be te way to repair it??

Your Mac's Specs
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Are you able to repair permissions? (finder > apps > Util > Disk Utility > choose volume> Mac HD>repair permission)

Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    Are you able to repair permissions? (finder > apps > Util > Disk Utility > choose volume> Mac HD>repair permission)

can get to disk utility via using the keyboard shortcut but when i go into it nothing happens there is nothing showing to select, believe this to be related to the hard drive in general as even when i load itunes nothing plays, i have the imac for dummies book and it suggets i place the OS X disc in and hold down apple C which will start up and select the disk utility from that but that doesn't seem to work nothing loads up, when i try the previous information in single user mode again and that seems ok but i have noticed that i have overlapped extent allocation (file 382553d)

it ends program saying "file sytem was modifed"

i have noticed in single user mode that i can make modificaton to files via running a similar instruction to what you stated, would this be the road to go down??

Thread Information