Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    UPS with removable power cable???
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    You could ask APC if the longer cord was available, or if it would void the warranty.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You could ask APC if the longer cord was available, or if it would void the warranty.
    I'll try that.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

I checked with an expert about the Canadian Electrical Code - I assume the US one is similar, worth checking out rather than assumption
    Code does not allow extension cords to be used as permanent wiring, however a UPS is not a permanent fixture as it is a portable device. I do not see any code issue here unless the extension cord becomes a tripping hazard. Permanent fixture is like fridge, washer/dryer, range etc where it is meant to stay there. For a UPS of consumer grade, as in, not in the 10kWh in range where it is mounted to a rack, then it is not a issue. Think some power bar comes with 6~12' power cord, that is pretty long too.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I checked with an expert about the Canadian Electrical Code - I assume the US one is similar, worth checking out rather than assumption
    Thanks. After much consideration, I actually decided to go ahead and order two 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cords, because there's simply no other feasible way to do this. I'm thinking that the thicker gauge combined with the short length will eliminate any potential hazard. After all, they sell these, which are basically super-short extension cords but designed to be plugged in all the time, so although my cables will be 10-feet, that's nothing compared to a 50, 100, or 200 foot extension cord.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect), but this installation note I see on every consumer-grade UPS:
    Connect the UPS power cable directly to a wall outlet. Do not use surge protectors or extension cords.
    If any of your devices plugged into that UPS are damaged because of power surges or such that the UPS is supposed to protect them from, any claim you want to bring forward would be denied if the manufacturer and/or their insurance company that backs up their warranty become wind that you used an extension cord to power the UPS.

The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect)

The real problem is the fact that we do not know where the OP lives, and for the record, the US and Canadian electrical codes are not always exactly the same, and for that matter they can even vary between provinces, that might apply tp some of the US States as well.

Try looking up any extension cord rules applicable to car heaters and defrosters and the differences on use between Alaska and Arizona!!!

- Patrick
    ======

The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect), but this installation note I see on every consumer-grade UPS:

If any of your devices plugged into that UPS are damaged because of power surges or such that the UPS is supposed to protect them from, any claim you want to bring forward would be denied if the manufacturer and/or their insurance company that backs up their warranty become wind that you used an extension cord to power the UPS.
    Yes, I mentioned that in post 4. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution here. I doubt the 14-gauge 10' cables I'm going to use would affect the UPS's surge protection, but a 16-gauge 50' cord might.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    The real problem is the fact that we do not know where the OP lives,
    US
    Jonathan

I actually decided to go ahead and order two 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cords,

The guage and rating of the extension cable will depend on the maximum current draw of the device and the distance.

Most stores will have such a chart, but you must allow for some safety margin as well.

Most homes use 14-gauge and 12-gauge, if the circuit breaker for that particular circuit is 15 amp, the 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cord will just be adequate, and the UPS must not draw any more current than 15 amps.

If the circuit breaker for the receptacle is rated for 20A, the extension cord will need to match the rating and would probably require a 12 gauge wire, and that includes both the ends of the extension cord as well. And don't forget to check the flammability rating of the extension cord cover. It may lower the overall rating of the extension cord.

Check the power requirements of everything and match it with the graph the store will have, or should have!!!.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    The guage and rating of the extension cable will depend on the maximum current draw of the device and the distance.
    Yes, and I should have mentioned the circuit is indeed 15A.
    Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    We service to the component level all MacBooks, Airs and Pros. We don't do iPads and iPhones.
    Earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    "Additionally, it would void both the warranty and connected equipment coverage on my UPS. "
    Now:
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    "Originally Posted by ferrarr

I'll try that."
    It looks like @krs has done the research to guide you to code for your location.

Quote Originally Posted by Holes Flow View Post
    Earlier:

Now:

It looks like @krs has done the research to guide you to code for your location.
    I'm not located in Canada But in any case, code is not the same as warranty stipulations. As mentioned a few posts ago, I've decided to just use appropriate length/gauge extension cords, and if that voids the warranty, it's just the compromise I'll have to take as I have no other viable options.
    Jonathan

You never mentioned which specific UPS you have.
    Do the instructions with the one you have actually tell you not to use an extension cord?
    And if so, how are those instructions worded?

You never mentioned which specific UPS you have.
    Do the instructions with the one you have actually tell you not to use an extension cord?
    And if so, how are those instructions worded?
    1. CyberPower AVRG750U
    2. Yes
    3. bolded section is key
    The Product must have been plugged directly into the power source and the equipment connected to the Product must be directly
    connected to the Product and not “daisy-chained” together in serial fashion with any extension cords, another Product or device
    similar to the Product, surge suppressor, or power tap. Any such installation voids the Limited Warranty.
    I'm guessing they have to say this, because someone might use a completely inappropriate and/or damaged extension cord, and then CyberPower would have to reimburse them for something not caused by their UPS if they did not have this statement.
    Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 32GB i7 2TB OSX 10.15.5 late 2013
    my understanding is that they don't want any device after the UPS connected via extension cord,

that's what ive worked out from your reply ?
    iMac Late 2013 27"
    Intel Core i7 4771 32GB Ram
    2TB HDD
    OSX 10.15.5

Quote Originally Posted by jasongoldworthy View Post
    my understanding is that they don't want any device after the UPS connected via extension cord,

that's what ive worked out from your reply ?
    Yes, but the first clause also states "The Product must have been plugged directly into the power source" - the "product" being the UPS and the "power source" being the wall outlet, not an extension cord.
    Jonathan

Thread Information