Third Party MagSafe
    Hi
    I am replacing my 2013 MacBook Air with the 2020 MBA.
    I guess I have to get used to 2 USB C ports. I know that I will miss the MagSafe. We have two dogs and from time to time they get tangled in the cables. The MagSafe has saved my 2013 MBA more than once.
    So there are tons of magnetic third party adapters that sit on the Male usb c and the female part sits in the usb c port of the MacBook. Unfortunately almost every single one of them has reviews that talk about fried usb c ports in the MacBook or they block the 2nd usb c port

Has anyone a magnetic breakaway adapter in use that fulfills the following criteria:

A) when plugged in it doesn’t block the 2nd usb c port on a MBA

B) no reports of fried usb c ports on the MBA

C) lasts longer than two months
    I am mostly interested in personal experience
    Thanks
    Last edited by Nikro000; 04-06-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Third Party MagSafe
    Since your MBA only has 1 USB-C port on each side, no worry about anything being blocked.

In general, these 3rd party accessories aren't made to any exacting standard and send way more power than they should through the USB port and will likely cause damage. I've generally found going with well known vendors of these accessories gives me a fighting chance of not having anything bad happen to my quite expensive Macs.

I would suggest, rather, that you route your cables in such a way that you and the dogs don't get tangled up in it and stick with the regular USB-C connector.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Since your MBA only has 1 USB-C port on each side, no worry about anything being blocked.

In general, these 3rd party accessories aren't made to any exacting standard and send way more power than they should through the USB port and will likely cause damage. I've generally found going with well known vendors of these accessories gives me a fighting chance of not having anything bad happen to my quite expensive Macs.

I would suggest, rather, that you route your cables in such a way that you and the dogs don't get tangled up in it and stick with the regular USB-C connector.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Interestingly the MacBook Air 2020 has its two usb c ports both on the left and a headphone jack on the right. So there can be blockage. I would have preferred them to be on opposite sides but maybe thatís just me.

So what ARE your preferred, trusted, and well known vendors?

Thanks again.

Third Party MagSafe
    Oh, didn't check. I know the Macbook has one port on either side, it's kinda funny to put both on the same side on the new MBA.

One name that I've had a lot of luck with is Anker. I've got a bunch of their cables, devices and they've all worked really well.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Oh, didn't check. I know the Macbook has one port on either side, it's kinda funny to put both on the same side on the new MBA.

One name that I've had a lot of luck with is Anker. I've got a bunch of their cables, devices and they've all worked really well.
    Thank you! I considered Anker as well, but itís good to have confirmation

Thread Information